[Personal Experiences] Hisense TV's

Lupus

Honorary Master
HDR really only makes a difference if the TV has higher brightness, anything under 1000 nits is just eh

StoneCold

Expert Member
HDR really only makes a difference if the TV has higher brightness, anything under 1000 nits is just eh
Mmmm, something that I'll definitely take into consideration. I see the Hisense models' HDR isn't 1000 nits as you pointed out. Maybe those Skyworth models aren't such a bad consideration. My local Kloppers also has the LG UK7500 on special right now for R10k with Nanocell technology (not that I'm going to buy it right now). So many choices, not going to be an easy decision, once I decide to pull the trigger.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Two things are needed for good HDR, brightness and a decent colour gamut. So if the panel is under 1000 nits and not a 10 bit colour panel the HDR output won't be 100% accurate.
It'll still show but it maybe be overblown and washed out. I know on my 58" I have to adjust the HDR down to mid point so I can actually watch the TV otherwise it just looks like you're starring at the sun.
With higher brightness the TV can better get that right, with a wider colour gamut it can make the colour pop more as well and bring it closer to real life.
Oh local dimming can also help as it can darken parts of the scene and not affect others. You'll notice on edge lit LEDs and cheaper local dimming that there is a white edge around lighter objects. Like playing a game and there's a spinning disc in the corner about 4cm up and along will be partially lit.

Hisense SA

I tried Hisense's live chat via their site yesterday but had to leave a message which I'm still awaiting an answer for.

I want to buy a new TV and move my current one to the bedroom. Mainly looking at the Hisense 55" models, the 55U7A and 55A6100UW. There is quite a price diffrence between the 2 and I want to find out why.

It appears to me the main difference has to do with their panel types (ELED vs DLED)? Also, the U7A supports more than 1 billion colours (wide colour gamut?) and has a 200hz smooth motion refresh rate (which I assume is nice for things such as watching soccer and cricket where the ball is fast moving and doesn't cause lag / ghosting).

My current 42" LG also has such a feature but intoduces motion blur which is irritating so I switched it off.

I take it the U7A model will be a better buy, or will the A6100 also do the job nicely?
Between the 2, especially UHD content, the U7A is in a league of it's own. My advice is to take some UHD / UHD HDR content along when you going to store to see for yourself. Just note when playing an HDR file, your picture settings will get 3 HDR modes to choose from.

Bunta

Been struggling with the Netflix issue since I bought my 50A6100UW in Nov 2018. Tried updating with the software on the Hisense Website, but that didn't work.
Then called Hisense, they sent me an Email link to a We-transfer update file. That didn't work.
PM'd Hisense SA here on MYBB, dude asked for the current ver. of Software, I sent it, and he then replied with another We-tranfser link to Software. Explained to update via the USB option (not as per the Hisense website video instructions).
That finally worked, and update installed. Thanks Hisense SA.

FYI for those with a 50A6100UW there seem to be 3 versions of updates:

1)If your firmware version starts with VA002, its the below firmware.
https://we.tl/t-Khc6CbchVz

2) If it starts with V0000, its the firmware on the Hisense website.
https://hisense.co.za/wp-content/uploads/patches/usb_HEA6100UWTS 2.bin

3) My tv's ver was V0000.01.00a.I0421, but the above did not work, so the software update that worked was in this link as received from Hisense SA on this forum.
https://we.tl/t-a65CHnWm1N

nazmo

I was pleasantly surprised with my 4k HDR TV. But found the speed and occasional issues with netflix & plex a problem. Ended up getting an nvidia shield to do anything smart. other than that still good value.

Noseworthy

Expert Member
for the life of me I can't get the update to work, I do the plug pull, insert the USB and plug in with holding the power button on the remote. It just boots normally through the Russia 2018 logo and the hisense logo. If I go to update in settings and select USB it says there is an update and reboot now, then it just boots through the boot sequence. Im getting rather upset as I wanted to upgrade this weekend to a 65" but I have my doubts over Hisense now and may just move to Samsung.

TV is 43″ 4K UHD – A6100 | 43A6100UW

Hisense SA

is Amazon Prime now available on Hisense tv's and if so, can the app be loaded via firmware update
Amazon Prime available on a5600, a5700, a5800 a6100, a6130
Amazon prime is not available to a6500, u7a, u8a, u9a and laser due to certification issues.