[Personal Experiences] Hisense TV's

A3@MBB

Don't know what the price was yesterday, (most likely R6000?) Either way, it's decently priced for the size, although I'll probably settle for the 58". Bigger is always better (most of the time) :p

One thing that I'm wondering about though, is whether the Android TV version is up-gradable or not. A few Google searches that I've made points towards it running Oreo 8.0 (same as my MiBox3). If it isn't, not a huge train smash. It has 2GB of RAM and 10GB Flash storage space, so more than enough to load or side-load additional apks.

I'll still rather take the TV for a test drive in store before I pull the trigger.
Was for R5899.
Opted to wait for something bigger to come along as I'm in no rush:thumbsup:

ArchAngel2280

upgraded my firmware from 1114 to 1127. sound seems a bit louder.

im using optical cable to my z5500
tv is a 65q8600

trouble im having is when watching netflix im not getting 5.1. centre channel is dead and voices coming over left an right

set the tv to spdif only and when i select dolby digital i have this problem
when i use pcm it my z5500 detects it as 2 channel then i can emulate surround

any one know y im not getting centre to work?

Lupus

Honorary Master

tv is a 65q8600

trouble im having is when watching netflix im not getting 5.1. centre channel is dead and voices coming over left an right

You'll need to set the sound output to RAW

ArchAngel2280

There is no raw. Only pcm, auto, dolby digital, dolby digital plus and pass through. None of them works. Dolby digital makes the z5500 go to 5.1 mode but no sound from the center

Lupus

Honorary Master
There is no raw. Only pcm, auto, dolby digital, dolby digital plus and pass through. None of them works. Dolby digital makes the z5500 go to 5.1 mode but no sound from the center
What are you trying to output? Are you sure the source is sending the right signal?

Lupus

Honorary Master
That little plastic flap.

Going to try ARC and if that works optical is redundant
ARC works quite nicely on my old M5000 model, the only annoying thing is on mine it's only on HDMI 1 which is only 1080p for some reason :-(

Migz10

tv is a 65q8600

Hi, I am having the exact same issue.
I recently purchased the JBL 3.1 and I too am getting no sound through the center channel.
I have the 65b7100 with the software v1127.
I tested Netflix app through my xbox and when selecting surround sound on the xbox it works perfectly with the center channel working 100 percent.
I wouldn't mind running Netflix through the xbox but its an inconvenience to keep switching it on and controlling it through the controller is horrible and I don't get the 4k.
However I managed to get the 5.1 using the Netflix app via the TV.
What I did is that I connected the Soundbar and TV via HDMI (ARC).(you will use the optic SPDIF cable)
Select speaker output to SPDIF mine is on ARC.
Sound Output I left on Auto.(if for some reason you don't have this option use Dolby)
Check your advanced options and make sure the CEC is picking up your soundbar.(this i dont think will apply to you but you can check in anyways).
After this power off the TV, unplug it from the wall and leave it off for about a minute.
Plug it back on ,switch on and test Netflix with 5.1 and it should work, mine did.(good test is that our planet, good voice dialog)
The only downside is once you switch over to a different app like dstv now, YouTube ect, and go back to Netflix it does not work again. You will have to unplug it from the wall again and boot directly to Netflix again.

Hopefully @Hisense SA can sort this out as i believe its the TV causing this issue.

Last edited:

PDF_27

Are you watching via Dstv decoder or via Dstv now app?

Either or, they both will appear a bit poor in relation to other TVs. This TV wasn't rated very well on sports viewing but rather on general entertainment from all the reviews I did prior to buying it...

When watching sports I find the TV pixelated, but to improve that I just take off smooth motion effects and add custom. Judder = 3 and blur = 5.

It has made a difference for me.

Also, when comparing the DStv now app in-built on the TV vs the one I have on my Mibox, the one in-built is much clearer and the colours way better, even with the exact same colour settings. I assume this has to do with the upscaling perhaps.

I don't have DStv as a decoder, but if I compare to my family's 55M7000 ULED when they watch football via Dstv decoder, it's just as pixelated. Keep in mind the TV has way more pixels than a normal FHD TV, so the possibility of seeing the pixelation of non 4k content is high. That's why seating distance can make a difference.

It's a flaw which many have noticed but small tweaks improve it a bit.
Ok, so just an update on this.

I managed to connect my MiBox to the TV in HDR10 bit, where previously it was HDR8 bit. To do this I enabled HDMI enchanced under the Hisense TV settings, then had to go into the MiBox display output settings and manually change it to 4k60Hz and change it from HDR 8 bit to HDR 10 bit, which I hadn't done before.
Once done, restarted both the TV as well as the Mibox, and then the TV picked up HDR10 bit.

Now, I decided to check how the football looks on the Mibox Dstv now app vs the inbuilt App in the TV itself after these settings were applied.
Picture settings were identical, which were Cinema Day mode, And Judder set to +1, Blur set to +10.

I made the same content play at the same time on the Mibox Dstv and the Hisense Dstv app (Superport 3) and would switch between the 2... and hands down the Mibox now wins. Its almost exactly how it should be playing as per older TVs (It will never be as crystal clear as Satellite unless Dstv improve on their streaming service). No judder, no blur. When I switch to the Dstv now app on the TV, the picture interpolation is present, even with judder at +1, which, as a sport lover, is a no-no. The ball would blur and leave trail, where as on the Mibox there was no such.

So, I can safely say making those changes has sorted my sport viewing experience out.

Note* This was on my Q8600 QLED, but should also apply for the B8000 ULED as well.

ahmedomar

I managed to connect my MiBox to the TV in HDR10 bit, where previously it was HDR8 bit. To do this I enabled HDMI enchanced under the Hisense TV settings, then had to go into the MiBox display output settings and manually change it to 4k60Hz and change it from HDR 8 bit to HDR 10 bit, which I hadn't done before.
Once done, restarted both the TV as well as the Mibox, and then the TV picked up HDR10 bit.

Now, I decided to check how the football looks on the Mibox Dstv now app vs the inbuilt App in the TV itself after these settings were applied.
Picture settings were identical, which were Cinema Day mode, And Judder set to +1, Blur set to +10.

I made the same content play at the same time on the Mibox Dstv and the Hisense Dstv app (Superport 3) and would switch between the 2... and hands down the Mibox now wins. Its almost exactly how it should be playing as per older TVs (It will never be as crystal clear as Satellite unless Dstv improve on their streaming service). No judder, no blur. When I switch to the Dstv now app on the TV, the picture interpolation is present, even with judder at +1, which, as a sport lover, is a no-no. The ball would blur and leave trail, where as on the Mibox there was no such.

So, I can safely say making those changes has sorted my sport viewing experience out.

Note* This was on my Q8600 QLED, but should also apply for the B8000 ULED as well.
Thanks for the feedback PDF,

Firstly do you have a Mibox S or original? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the box?

I find that when setting the TV to Judder +1 and blur +10, I find the picture struggling to keep up like a motion lag. Not sure what's the issue with mine. I have a B8000 and I'm also trying to get the best sport viewing experience,

Is your TV set to automatically detect sport in the advanced settings?

Please can you share your picture settings with me?

PDF_27

Thanks for the feedback PDF,

Firstly do you have a Mibox S or original? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the box?

I find that when setting the TV to Judder +1 and blur +10, I find the picture struggling to keep up like a motion lag. Not sure what's the issue with mine. I have a B8000 and I'm also trying to get the best sport viewing experience,

Is your TV set to automatically detect sport in the advanced settings?

Please can you share your picture settings with me?
I have the MiBox original, and yes, the normal high speed HDMI cable it came with.

I just use Cinema Day, I dont alter any settings other than local dimming (high), sharpness (13), Judder (+1) and blur reduction (+10)

Is your Mibox connected via HDMI enhanced? and have you selected 4k 60Hz as well as 10bit colour?

A possible factor is that the Q8600 has a refresh rate of 120hz, the B8000 only 60Hz.

ahmedomar

Yes it's on HDMI enhanced with 4k60Hz and 10bit colour

I think it could be the refresh rate too

Is your TV set to detect sports mode automatically in advanced settings?

PDF_27

Yes it's on HDMI enhanced with 4k60Hz and 10bit colour

I think it could be the refresh rate too

Is your TV set to detect sports mode automatically in advanced settings?
Yes it is, but I don't think it detects anything. I have never seen a difference with it on or off. It's supposed to change the picture to sports, which it doesnt

Subways81

Anyone getting weird anomalies while watching 4k HDR content from a flash drive? These come up every now and again but on one of the episode of Planet Earth 2 where the camera pans out over the ocean the entire picture went very blocky.

PDF_27

I must however note that the picture quality, colour and clarity is better on the DStv inbuilt app. I swapped back and forth several times today to make sure my eyes weren't lying to me but it's definitely better quality on the inbuilt DStv now app... But the judder forces me to watch it on the Mibox.

Pseudonym

I must however note that the picture quality, colour and clarity is better on the DStv inbuilt app. I swapped back and forth several times today to make sure my eyes weren't lying to me but it's definitely better quality on the inbuilt DStv now app... But the judder forces me to watch it on the Mibox.
I've also noticed when connecting a laptop stream from the DSTV Now website that the colours are significantly worse. Much more muted, picture seems softer as well. But the motion is certainly smoother.