Philips Airfryer - anyone have?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Has anyone tried making slap chips?

I'm tired of it coming out crispy now, I want a plate of good old soggy chips...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Lol. But seriously, do you just use a bit more oil?

I just want it a bit softer on the outside, doesn't need to be drenched in oil like a deep fryer...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Are you doing the submerge in water thing?

Using real potatoes or precut frozen?
Fresh potatoes. Not sure what the water thing is? After I cut them, I let them soak in water for about 20 mins. That's about it. And used an extra tablespoon of oil...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Fresh potatoes. Not sure what the water thing is? After I cut them, I let them soak in water for about 20 mins. That's about it. And used an extra tablespoon of oil...
Yeah that water thing.

My first meal cooked. Didn’t look too pretty for having cocked up the layering and cooking times a bit but tasted better than KFC.

Thing is bloody tiny, can’t imagine how small anything less than the XL must be.

Washing is going to be fun...I forgot to spray the grid on the bottom like an amateur.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Yeah that water thing.

My first meal cooked. Didn’t look too pretty for having cocked up the layering and cooking times a bit but tasted better than KFC.

Thing is bloody tiny, can’t imagine how small anything less than the XL must be.

Washing is going to be fun...I forgot to spray the grid on the bottom like an amateur.
You don't need to spray the grid. Take the grid out with the basket, leave it in the basket, add some sunlight and hot water and let it stand.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You don't need to spray the grid. Take the grid out with the basket, leave it in the basket, add some sunlight and hot water and let it stand.
Pretty much exactly how I left it before making the post.

I'll dish washer it every other night I'm sure, although that might be a waste as well as it's pretty awkwardly shaped and sized.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Pretty much exactly how I left it before making the post.

I'll dish washer it every other night I'm sure, although that might be a waste as well as it's pretty awkwardly shaped and sized.
Mine goes straight into the dishwasher. Flat on the bottom shelve grid and pan next to each other.

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
Yeah that water thing.

You're going to need to share your "almost better than kfc" spice claim ala Twitter Sir!

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
Pork belly with a honey, garlic and soy marinade done by the BF this eve. Marinade made the skin dark and prevented it from crisping up properly but was really yummy. Used the rest of it to fry green beans with feta and fed onion as the side. Very tasty indeed :giggle:
IMG_20190415_191804_246.jpg IMG_20190415_191804_241.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
Pork belly with a honey, garlic and soy marinade done by the BF this eve. Marinade made the skin dark and prevented it from crisping up properly but was really yummy. Used the rest of it to fry green beans with feta and fed onion as the side. Very tasty indeed :giggle:
View attachment 646184 View attachment 646186
If I use marinade fry it at around 140-150 deg. for a bit longer and then the last 10min. at 180-190. Or I fry without marinade and then add the glazing/marinade the last 10 min. or so.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You're going to need to share your "almost better than kfc" spice claim ala Twitter Sir!
Actually nothing too exciting.

Left chicken in some milk for half an hour. Mostly because I didn’t have buttermilk and can’t use eggs as my youngest is still seemingly allergic and don’t want to risk it.

Then 3/4 cup of all purpose flower, 2 TBSP Robertson Chicken Spice and 2 TBSP bread crumbs from Food Lovers Market.

If I wasn’t making for the kids would chuck some cayenne pepper or other spicier stuff in there.

Double dip in flour, back in milk, back in flour and into the Airfryer it went.