Philips BDM4065UC (40" 4K UltraClear)

wizzypow

I noticed that DCC posted this press release today : http://companies.mybroadband.co.za/...aclear-display-now-available-in-south-africa/ I couldn't find the model in the article, but after a Google or two I see it is indeed the Philips BDM4065UC.

I thought I'd start a thread on it for anybody who may have questions relating to it as I picked up two of these stunning displays last year and I must say - they are absolutely magnificent.

I was driving both displays on 3840x2160 @ 60Hz from my MacBook Pro, and now drive one from My SurfacePro 4 and one from my MacBook Pro. Having this much screen real estate is an absolute pleasure and I can't stress enough how much of an impact this has had on my productivity!

If you want more details - just ask away.
(I have nothing to do with DCC/Philips - just a fan of the monitor and would love to spread the word)

Seeyou

Expert Member
Bit of thread necromancy here. Wondering if you could answer a few questions:

- how noticeable are reflections on the glossy screen?
- have you noticed any of the mouse lag some people report?
- just about every review of the monitor reports that even when calibrated, overall colour temperature is markedly cool, due to over-emphasised blue. What is your experience here?

Thanks!

wizzypow

@Seeyou - to answer your questions

1. Due to the expanse combined with the brightness of the screen, and the distance I stand from it, I will say that I don't really experience any negative impact from reflections. That being said - it may differ from user to user and for the purpose which you use it for.
2. I suppose I am not that sensitive to the input lag as I have not noticed it before. I think the measured input lag on a test was around 20ms... Not something likely to impact me in my day to day.
3. Once calibrated it is definitely warmer than out of the box - but, still cool-ish overall compared say to my MacBook Pro Retina display. Once again - it doesn't bug me at all.

My rating on the monitor would be an 8 out of 10 - while it does have some minor snags, the bang for buck is second to none. The monitor serves as an excellent replacement of my previous 4 x 23" array of monitors. Please let me know if you want more details or pics of it perhaps

Seeyou

Expert Member
@Seeyou - to answer your questions

1. Due to the expanse combined with the brightness of the screen, and the distance I stand from it, I will say that I don't really experience any negative impact from reflections. That being said - it may differ from user to user and for the purpose which you use it for.
2. I suppose I am not that sensitive to the input lag as I have not noticed it before. I think the measured input lag on a test was around 20ms... Not something likely to impact me in my day to day.
3. Once calibrated it is definitely warmer than out of the box - but, still cool-ish overall compared say to my MacBook Pro Retina display. Once again - it doesn't bug me at all.

My rating on the monitor would be an 8 out of 10 - while it does have some minor snags, the bang for buck is second to none. The monitor serves as an excellent replacement of my previous 4 x 23" array of monitors. Please let me know if you want more details or pics of it perhaps

Thanks for taking the time to answer. The reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly positive, and in terms of bang for buck, this monitor is most definitely far and away cheaper than any other 32" or larger 4K screens available here.

I'd love to see a photo to get an idea of just how reflective the screen surface is, as the videos/pictures I've seen haven't really showed this adequately. If you get a moment, that would be awesome. I'm very used to matte surfaces, so I'm worried it may be overly reflective in my reasonably light office.

Thanks again!

wizzypow

Sure - hope this helps you with your decision!
20160129_192844.jpg