Phone Recommendations - Android

sashinbetween

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for some recommendations on phones. There are so many out there and the choice is tough and tougher when you aren't sure of what you want. But here's the short version, I've been using Huawei for a few 24 month contracts now, my current contract for the P20 Pro is up for upgrade and I'm not looking to spend R600+ on a contract anymore but rather R300-R450. The contract package is not as important to me. I am on the MTN network and not looking to move.

I'm not super tech savvy but enjoy a good mobile experience, great camera, capacity for space and overall fast, slick experience. I know with the newer Huawei devices do not support the usual Google apps anymore? But asking myself, how much of a difference does it really make? Can I still download other apps like Instagram and Facebook? Have been considering a Samsung in the Galaxy space but those seem super expensive; obviously when looking at new editions.

Ideally, I just want some opinions from people before deciding!

Thanks!

ronz91

Expert Member
most common apps shouldn't be a problem. google should be able to tell u.

huaweis have great cameras from what I've seen.

That said I would not go without GMS.

Its a tricky 1. Possibly look into an A71 with the gcam app installed. Lots of space, amoled screen

AntennaMan

Expert Member
My wife recently got the Samsung Galaxy A51 and I am seriously impressed with it.

Will it stand up, performance-wise, to the S- range? Probably not. But for a third of the price, you still get a decent screen and camera, enough storage (and can be expanded with SD card) and the battery life seems to be good as well.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I read somewhere that the banking apps are not in the Huawei app store yet (I have not confirmed myself) - this could be a major problem with the new Huawei's if true

eg2505

Honorary Master
I read somewhere that the banking apps are not in the Huawei app store yet (I have not confirmed myself) - this could be a major problem with the new Huawei's if true
FNB needs GMS services, that Huawei is now banned from using.
so thats the only app that so far isnt working.

upup

Executive Member
The problem with a contract phone, you can only choose what they offer you, and they only offer what they get at a good deal, for them.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Look also at the Xiaomi Mi series if you have $$$$ or the Redmi series if you want something affordable.

You can use gsmarena to have comparisons.

1593455339179.png

Rinkhals

This information is useful for me, too, having dropped my Oneplus the other night, it is now FUBAR.

Following this thread closely.

Thanks to all.

L-Dog

Does anyone have a P40lite ? Mate just bought one and it doesn't have a google play store so he can;t install the discovery app.

L-Dog

Does anyone have a P40lite ? Mate just bought one and it doesn't have a google play store so he can;t install the discovery app.
Googled it some banking apps also not supported, make sure you do your research before buying a phone.