Port Cell number to VOIP?

CuriouS

Hey there

I'm not sure if this has been asked before (I did search but didn't find anything - could have used the wrong keywords), but my cellphone contract is expiring and was thinking of possibly doing the following:

Porting from CellC over to MTN(CellC is quite shocking - had two dropped calls within 30 mins of each other last night)
Use MTN to get Afrihost data(which is super cheap)

Now this is where it might get tricky/be a problem:

Set up VOIP on my cellphone so that calls going to my cell number go through the VOIP on my phone?

I suspect the whole number porting to Afrihost might be an issue, but I can always just get a sim from them and port the old number to the VOIP if it's at all possible.

So my question is, can I do this? Is it worthwhile going for?

Thanks for any and all help!

Mark051

In theory sounds like a good idea, but I think you looking for trouble having to rely on MTN's data network for your VOIP calls.
I guess if you in a good wifi area for most of the day you'll be ok, but doubt VOIP on MTN's 3G network will work that well!

As far as porting a cell number to a VOIP provider - I'm not sure, but doubt it.

CuriouS

In theory sounds like a good idea, but I think you looking for trouble having to rely on MTN's data network for your VOIP calls.
I guess if you in a good wifi area for most of the day you'll be ok, but doubt VOIP on MTN's 3G network will work that well!

As far as porting a cell number to a VOIP provider - I'm not sure, but doubt it.

Thanks for the heads up! What about MTN's LTE network? My phone that I currently have supports LTE, and apparently you just have to phone Afrihost to have it activated. I'm not sure if it could be worse than Cell C's radio signal...

I'll have to do some more digging.

Clarotech

Clarotech representative
Company Rep
I don't believe you can port a cell number to a VoIP provider, so you'll have to get a new number from the VoIP provider if you intend to go that route.

As for VoIP on LTE, we've tested it for fixed locations using a router and it works well. Your mileage is going to vary substantially if you are mobile.

Every single mobile provider has areas with dead spots or poor reception, it's the nature of wireless.

Mark051

I've just gone for LTE at home, and ditched my fixed line, so planning on doing the same thing when calling from home.
Any good SIP providers you can recommend?