Deago999

So Im studying to become a Network Administrator, and ill be in my second year.
To all network admins, what is the job like? I mean Ive shadowed a network Admin, but it was only for a day.
But is it a good field to go into, what other qualifications do you suggest getting, is the job market very saturated, when you start in a position like Network Admin is it difficult to get to grips with the systems and the new hardware/software etc?

ambo

Expert Member
I've always thought that the title network admin is used far too broadly... :)
Is your aim to be someone who looks after the LAN, servers and PCs in an office or are you talking about the administration of a network for an ISP with many routers and big fibre links connecting locations across the country or the world?

Ryansr

Expert Member
I've always thought that the title network admin is used far too broadly... :)
Is your aim to be someone who looks after the LAN, servers and PCs in an office or are you talking about the administration of a network for an ISP with many routers and big fibre links connecting locations across the country or the world?

This mine is bigger than yours attitude in ICT mostly assist in pushing people in the industry to always try and deliver their best but in this response it sounds like a warning to not expect to learn everything in a course. Just something about it borders on the egotistic nature that you will find in the industry. :)

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
This mine is bigger than yours attitude in ICT mostly assist in pushing people in the industry to always try and deliver their best but in this response it sounds like a warning to not expect to learn everything in a course. Just something about it borders on the egotistic nature that you will find in the industry. :)
Looking from the outside in, I'm tempted to say there is some truth in bigger is better.

The IT guys in smaller companies seem to get a little bored / complacent after a while. i.e. They sorted out the place and now all that is left is the odd troubleshooting and helping people with their jammed printers. The bigger companies have enough budget for new toys and there is always something new happening. Then again, the pressure is also more...troubleshooting something while every minute that ticks by is thousands of ZAR lost can't be fun.