Powerline network help

GEE_911

Been struggling like mad these past few weeks to get WiFi coverage throughout my home. Its a large double storey house with thick walls. Unfortunately, the modem cannot be moved from where it is. I have tried wireless extenders and they just won't work.

I have bought top of the range Belkin AND Netgear modems with "beam forming" and "next generation WIFI" that promise far greater wireless range, but they reach no further than my old bottom of the range modem that costs a fraction of the price.

How well does power line technology work in SA? Is it reliable? Fast? Also, can I connect a wireless router to the one adapter to create a new network for one half of the house? And if so, will I be able to print between these networks even if the printer is only connected to one of the networks (obviously)?

And, where is the best place to get a top of the range power line adapter kit?

Also thinking of getting this modem: http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-ac66u-802-11ac-dual-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router/ .Is it any good?

simm_card

Expert Member
How well does power line technology work in SA?
Very well
Is it reliable?
Yes
Line speed fast
Also, can I connect a wireless router to the one adapter to create a new network for one half of the house?
Yes
And if so, will I be able to print between these networks even if the printer is only connected to one of the networks (obviously)?
No
And, where is the best place to get a top of the range power line adapter kit?
http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.php?products_id=971
Very good

Arthur

Honorary Master
I solved this exact problem with powerline Wi-Fi. I cabled most rooms with Cat6, but Wi-Fi is a real problem in a large double-story with thick walls and two stoeps.

I have three APs, one cabled and two on powerline. The cabled one is in the ceiling upstairs. The two powerline APs are spread around to serve public spaces downstairs.

Fine for phone and tablet Wi-Fi.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Btw, if you're on 3-phase you'll have to make sure the injection and plug point are on the same phase.

agentrfr

Expert Member
It works fine, just make sure that the rooms are fed on the same phase of current, or it wont work.

GEE_911

Btw, if you're on 3-phase you'll have to make sure the injection and plug point are on the same phase.

How do I do this?

This will probably sound pretty dumb, but I really have no idea what phase of current everything is run on. I don't even know what that means. Can someone just give me a little more info on that, so I know if the product will work. How can I find out if everything is on the same phase?

UPDATE: Just checked with my father and apparently the house does run on 3-phase. So how can I solve this?

Thanks again

eddief1

Expert Member
I have had really mixed results with powerline Ethernet. Besides the issue of finding plugs which are all on the same phase and even going as far as installing 3 plug points (one on each phase) in the garage to inject the signal on each phase the results were disappointing :-( Both speed and reliability.

I had constant drops probably caused by other electrical equipment in the house, had a situation where a simple AC transformer plugged into the same wall socket as the powerline adapter would bring down the network. Eventually just cabled everything as that was an option for me.

But I have used them in other situations where "I have got lucky" and everything worked as expected. You going to have to buy a pair and try them out :)

GEE_911

I have had really mixed results with powerline Ethernet. Besides the issue of finding plugs which are all on the same phase and even going as far as installing 3 plug points (one on each phase) in the garage to inject the signal on each phase the results were disappointing :-( Both speed and reliability.

I had constant drops probably caused by other electrical equipment in the house, had a situation where a simple AC transformer plugged into the same wall socket as the powerline adapter would bring down the network. Eventually just cabled everything as that was an option for me.

But I have used them in other situations where "I have got lucky" and everything worked as expected. You going to have to buy a pair and try them out :)

Damn. The thing is: How do you tell which plugs are on the same phase? The two plugs I am planning on using are only one room apart from each other, and they are both just standard wall plugs. Will this mean they are in the same phase?

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
Damn. The thing is: How do you tell which plugs are on the same phase? The two plugs I am planning on using are only one room apart from each other, and they are both just standard wall plugs. Will this mean they are in the same phase?

They most likely are on the same phase.

For instance you usually separate plugs / lights / whatever in to separate phases...