Pricing: Top Gaming Site - All PHP Developers

Aquilla

Hey guys,

I was approached by someone that wants me to develop something similar to http://www.cybergamer.org (Actually to make this easy lets say exactly as that site, would make things easier).

Can fellow PHP developers and Web Developers please give me a rough estimate of what you would charge for the whole project, from scratch, no use of Framework, all custom.

any help would be appreciated!

ITCynic

Expert Member
Looking at the untidy source of the index page; the code has quite a mixture of <divs> and <tables> I think this is done on some sort of framework with extra bits added in.

Developing an equivalent of this without any framework and completely custom could cost a packet and would take a long time to do. With a single developer it could take multiples of months.

I would suggest you try and find out the framework that the site runs on or identify what framework you want to use and then see what it would cost to build it to your specifications. Alternatively employ a few developers on a monthly salary/contract and get them to develop it.

As for quoting on the site just by visiting the site would be very difficult, that would be like quoting on the length of a piece of string.

Sorry I cannot offer more positive feedback but must admit the site does look nice :)

Last edited:

Gnome

Executive Member
If you want to develop without a framework... That is a bit amateur hour IMHO.

That is like someone saying I want to develop my latest application without using an IDE. Why?

James

Expert Member
That is like someone saying I want to develop my latest application without using an IDE. Why?

I work in a team of 10 developers, some of them very very respected in the PHP world and of the 10, 3 use an IDE. Your statement calling someone amateur for not using an IDE holds no water (This is from a PHP point of view).

byron_spy

Expert Member
I work in a team of 10 developers, some of them very very respected in the PHP world and of the 10, 3 use an IDE. Your statement calling someone amateur for not using an IDE holds no water (This is from a PHP point of view).

Before getting on my horse

So you are saying that you support coding everything from scratch ? ? :wtf:

byron_spy

Expert Member
Hey guys,

I was approached by someone that wants me to develop something similar to http://www.cybergamer.org (Actually to make this easy lets say exactly as that site, would make things easier).

Can fellow PHP developers and Web Developers please give me a rough estimate of what you would charge for the whole project, from scratch, no use of Framework, all custom.

any help would be appreciated!

What you smoking dude ? Please courier some to me as I wanna fly high in the sky as well

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I could maybe understand not using an IDE for certain languages, but not using a framework is stupid. Frameworks and third party libraries just save time and money, no reason not to use them if they fit your needs.

mcryan

Expert Member
It's very hard to say. I think you need to get an accurate project spec from them, work out how much time it will all take and move on from there.

And for a large project like that, you seriously should consider using a framework. It will save you a lot of time!

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
My off the cuff guess based on a project we did recently - R500 000 and two developers working for 3-4 months, and thats using any and all frameworks possible.

the thing is that there is just so much to the site! Its huge!

byron_spy

Expert Member
My off the cuff guess based on a project we did recently - R500 000 and two developers working for 3-4 months, and thats using any and all frameworks possible.

the thing is that there is just so much to the site! Its huge!

That sounds like alot of of moola but one should consider the following:

As a developer (And I know all of you think like this) [unless you like seriously need cash] the customer has to put serious bucks otherwise you might as well just take it and make it your own idea/ concept, as a website/ app developed to what it should be is much more worth than this

Nothing in life comes cheap unfortunately you can always get indian fellows to work on it for $5 a hour lol eating bunny chow with some hot curry and all

zippy

Honorary Master
Two of the best IDE's of all time are :

vi
Notepad

I have been using them for 12 years. Highly recommended.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Why use notepad when there is notepad++? vi I can understand from what I've heard about it, but notepad?

Personally I dont see why anyone would not use a visual IDE - the benefits are overwhelming.

zippy

Honorary Master
Why use notepad when there is notepad++? vi I can understand from what I've heard about it, but notepad?

Personally I dont see why anyone would not use a visual IDE - the benefits are overwhelming.

I have been using notepad++ recently. Before that I used Ultraedit.

Work mainly on unix though, so vi is actually my main editor

On windows i use Notepad++ and pl/sql developer. I do all my java coding in Notepad++. I have downloaded eclipse etc., but i found it more of a hinderance. Spend more time configuring it than doing something constructive.

Gnome

Executive Member

Hell no, I can't understand it, I use vim constantly to edit files on various servers. It is tedious!

Hence my saying so. It means that you like wasting time doing things that could be automated. :confused:

That is what beginners do to familiarise themselves with everything. But when you need to push out production systems automation = more money.

Last edited:

Aquilla

lol, i just wanted to know figures..., I don't want to know what frameworks to use, what Integrated Development Environment to use nor what waste of time it would be. I just want to know, what figures are we looking at if it would be done from scratch without a framework.

I use Zend Framework and Zend Studio, and would use them when developing a project like this. However i would still just like to know what some people would charge if they had to write it without the use of a framework...

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
lol, i just wanted to know figures..., I don't want to know what frameworks to use, what Integrated Development Environment to use nor what waste of time it would be. I just want to know, what figures are we looking at if it would be done from scratch without a framework.

I use Zend Framework and Zend Studio, and would use them when developing a project like this. However i would still just like to know what some people would charge if they had to write it without the use of a framework...

For any project that size though, what you're asking doesnt really make sense. I mean, no one in their right mind would avoid a framework for a large project like that. You wouldnt benefit your client at all, it would just cost them more money.