Problem getting iMessage to activate

bboy

Expert Member
if the phone number is still grey, its because the sms that it sent from your phone to apple to veritfy that it is your number didn't get to apple, and that's probably cause you cant sms to international numbers

Francois Marais

if the phone number is still grey, its because the sms that it sent from your phone to apple to veritfy that it is your number didn't get to apple, and that's probably cause you cant sms to international numbers

Fudge, so it is off to VodaScum again.
Hope they can fix it. I am getting gatvol for this blame game going on.

bluepoole

Try the following: check under Settings-General-Date & Time, switch "Set Automatically" to ON if it is off.

This has solved many facetime and imessage problems of iPhone users worldwide, so it is worth checking, I hope it solves your problem as well.

As a side note, my cellular data APN is set to lte.vodacom.co.za, and everything on my iPhone works fine. Is it really necessary to have an iPhone APN activated on your line? Just asking out of curiosity.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No you don't need the iPhone APN if you have an LTE capable device.

Francois Marais

Try the following: check under Settings-General-Date & Time, switch "Set Automatically" to ON if it is off.

This has solved many facetime and imessage problems of iPhone users worldwide, so it is worth checking, I hope it solves your problem as well.

As a side note, my cellular data APN is set to lte.vodacom.co.za, and everything on my iPhone works fine. Is it really necessary to have an iPhone APN activated on your line? Just asking out of curiosity.

Tried that. Did not work. Even the Apple guys tried that "fix"
Not so sure on the APN settings.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Without allot of background history, I ended up removing my device from my appleID, resetting my AppleID password (on website).
Then wipeing my iPad as if I'm selling it. And then set it up as a new tablet with my AppleID.

Before I restored settings etc, I used iMessage to test with friend first. Then restored apps and data.

Before taking this route, Ive tried allot of remedies, none worked.

gfmalan

Expert Member
O, and this whole process was done with adsl not to complicate the setup.

Francois Marais

Will give that a go. Really not in the mood to drive to a VodaScum shop to get this fixed. Easy for them to say take the device to your nearest VodaScum shop. But mine is Menlyn. And I avoid Menlyn like the black plague.
So lets see. Parking R9-00 fuel, R20-00, and then my ADD shopping spree... A lot of money.
So there is a reason why I don't want to go there.

gfmalan

Expert Member
I avoid it due to what the mall became, dont feel welcome any more.
Then when you get to the shop the chance of actual someone thats cluedup, that can help is 1%

bboy

Expert Member
well try send a sms to some cuzzie in the uk or something and see if international sms is working

Francois Marais

You were spot on with your reply here! Well done. You know more than 90% of people working at VodaCom.

Laid a complaint on Hellopeter yesterday after taking the phone to a VodaShop to sort this problem out. Guy wanted to book the phone in for repairs. I refused and walked out. VC called me this morning and Faiek said he will load what is needed and it will work. And behold he was 100% right. It started working! So after many hours on the phone with VC and many hours spent at a VodaShop and many hours spent with Apple, the problem was found. VodaCom!