Program to Copy a Program ..:/

NomNom

Executive Member
Hi there

Does anyone know of a program that can copy a program and it's registry keys ect so that it would work if I copy it from Windows XP to Windows 7?

The program in question is called Dalet Plus, but thus far I have been unable to get it working on Windows 7 64bit, unfortunately I don't have a 32bit with me.

I have tried compatibility settings, and nothing. It most probably isn't working due to my Windows 7 being 64bit.

So yeah, basically I'm looking for a program that someone can recommend that completely copies a program and it's registry files ect from one location to another.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Unlikely. Me thinks its registry. By the way I do not know the problem.

NomNom

Executive Member
Unlikely. Me thinks its registry. By the way I do not know the problem.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking also, so I need a program to locate and copy a programs registry keys and then pop them on a new windows.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Why don't you search the registry yourself?

Under run, type regedit. Search for the name and export. Do not delete anything!

skusku

Possible to just reinstall the program? What program is it if I may ask?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Well there's Windows 7 XP mode. It basically virtualizes XP. Free download on Windows 7 Pro and higher / I believe

NomNom

Executive Member
Well there's Windows 7 XP mode. It basically virtualizes XP. Free download on Windows 7 Pro and higher / I believe

Yeah but I still won't be able to copy it over now will I :)

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Crap I never think that one through :/

Make a virtual image of the system. Or the manual way of exporting reg entries. Anyway good luck :)

Mars

Honorary Master
Why don't you search the registry yourself?

Under run, type regedit. Search for the name and export. Do not delete anything!

The problem with that is that they purposefully do not put any searchable terms on the keys so that you cannot find them unless you know what you're looking for.

KiG

I dont think that it will be that easy to just copy the program and the registry keys over and make the program work. There are lots of dependencies that are installed during the installation process that may not be entered into the registry under the name of the software concerned. I do not know the software in question, but usually there are numerous dll's and type libraries that are installed onto your system using regsvr32. You would need to ensure that these dependencies are installed and registered on the target system as well. There are tools like dependency walker and others that show the dll's that the software is dependent upon. You will be able to find these dependencies in the XP system. These dependencies may not always be compatible with a 64bit OS though, making me think this is a near impossible venture, unless the software in concern is a small standalone exe, which makes my point moot.

Broadcom

Usually something like appdeploy.com to take a snapshot before and after the install, but there will be differences in file and registry locations between XP and 64bit win7, perhaps can be resolved manually.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
You won't be able to copy this program.
Exe's need to be recomplied for 64bit so it will never work.

Need to download the 64bit version of the app

Mars

Honorary Master

Most 32bit apps work in a 64bit environment.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
LOL at this thread.
See if someone who has that prog can help you. Ask them to install it and take snapshots. As KiG pointed out, there's the program folder for the app, it may have a temp data folder under the user profile, there could be loads of registry keys which may or may not mention the program name or it's location, there's dll's and other files possibly dumped into your Windows\System folder etc etc. If you don't have the time to try a manual registry search, it's just not going to happen is it? :)

If someone created a proggie to do all of that, one would have to ask... what exactly does it do? It's not as though a program says 'oh here... these are all my files and settings'. The only other hope is that there's an installation log in the program folder somewhere.

Registry... one valid reason Mac fans can laugh at Windoze fans.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
There's software out there that records everything that happens when you install an app from file locations to registry entries. Maybe try installing something like that on XP, install Dalet Plus and see what was recorded.

bekdik

Honorary Master
@NomNom Try contacting the publisher, they can probably offer you an upgrade

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
System Mechanic has functionality like that. It monitors what keys etc are accessed and then copies them.

Never tried it & reckon it won't work all that well.

NomNom

Executive Member

Afaik there is no 64bit version of the program, it's South African made.

Correct. It's 16-bit applications that won't work on 64-bit.

They should work on 32bit though correct?

Please understand that I am not trying to copy the program over to a 64bit windows 7, I said I only have a 64bit windows 7 with me at the moment when I tried to copy the program over, the program will be copied over to a 32bit windows 7 later, if I can find a solution.

@NomNom Try contacting the publisher, they can probably offer you an upgrade

I will be doing that later today thanks. Also this is a small program of about 60mb, it's a program my aunt uses to listen to court recordings and then type out.

Last edited: