Quadcopter/Drone Thread

PSN

Great video... I'm currently contemplating if I should buy the 3 Standard in a couple of months, or save up and buy a 4 later. Really want to get started though. More for aerial photography than video. How are you finding the Standard?

I am new to this and that is why I went with the standard as its half the price of the bigger models. Flying is very easy as it maintains its high and position without you. If you where to get into aerial Photography the Advance, Pro or even the Phantom 4 has dedicated buttons on the controller for taking video and images which the standard model does'nt. I will say the Standars mode has longer flight times than the Advance or Pro but by 3-4 mins.

NB:
The Standard version doesn't have a screw off lens cover which you can then replace with ND filters sold locally (only the Advance, Pro has the screw off lens cover). You will need to possibly import a ND filter that can slide over the camera front.

Warnings:
http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.aspx
SA has a height limit of 150 ft or 45m as per the CAA and there is another link on page 1 which basically says you can't fly most places :(

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Warnings:
http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.aspx
SA has a height limit of 150 ft or 45m as per the CAA and there is another link on page 1 which basically says you can't fly most places :(

Thanks for your input. Yeah... I've been on that website. I also think a lot of guys are just doing whatever they want. They probably think it is okay to break the rules in remote locations. I'm also new to this and doing a lot of research. The 4 looks absolutely amazing, but at 3 times the price of the 3 Standard, I will probably have to save up till the end of the year.

PSN

Thanks for your input. Yeah... I've been on that website. I also think a lot of guys are just doing whatever they want. They probably think it is okay to break the rules in remote locations. I'm also new to this and doing a lot of research. The 4 looks absolutely amazing, but at 3 times the price of the 3 Standard, I will probably have to save up till the end of the year.

Cant wait to see your pictures :D Good luck

HApyM3al

Expert Member

Dont worry I am in the same boat. Saw a 3 Pro for R15k and was considering it. But going to buy Phantom 4 new instead. Have a look at Casey Neistat videos in Cape Town, think that give good base on what to expect from the 4.

Might be justifying it, however the collision detection seems like a good advantage to have and the tap to fly.

Will be buying the 4 end of April and should get it hopefully before May or early May.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Dont worry I am in the same boat. Saw a 3 Pro for R15k and was considering it. But going to buy Phantom 4 new instead. Have a look at Casey Neistat videos in Cape Town, think that give good base on what to expect from the 4.

Might be justifying it, however the collision detection seems like a good advantage to have and the tap to fly.

Will be buying the 4 end of April and should get it hopefully before May or early May.

Get the 4, the extra functions are much better with active track.

They probably think it is okay to break the rules in remote locations.

Had no issues yet and flew right next to restricted zones :whistling:

12412412412rsqfasf.jpg

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Cant wait to see your pictures :D Good luck

Also have a look here:

http://www.safedrone.co.za/

Orms or Drone World? Looks like Drone World are the guys to use...

Had no issues yet and flew right next to restricted zones :whistling:

Some guys are also doing some high altitude flying...

https://www.instagram.com/gavman.18/

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Just order direct from DJI ;)

Amazons deals are better. Even thought comes from DJI directly.

DJi: $1399 + $169 (extra battery) = $1568

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CMVOS16...TF8&colid=2ICPX3DXDM348&coliid=I2BXVJUP5N0PHC

Getting couple extra goodies and only $11 more.

@Quantum - For me personally, I have never had to send a product back for warranties. Bought a lot of stuff of Amazon before and all still full working order. If you need to fix something could ask Orms to have a look? They also have the individual parts, as far as I remember.

HApyM3al

Expert Member
No option to ship to SA from either DJI or any Amazon seller... Please point me in the right direction :)

Most people wont ship anymore because Li-Ion battery regulations.

https://www.myus.com/ - will ship batteries if they come in same package or installed.

Amarex global shopper - however they do not ship batteries, they will remove it and ship it.

I will use MyUS to get it here.

HApyM3al

Expert Member
Soooo, I couldn't wait anymore and bought from Orms Yesterday.

ImageUploadedByMyBroadband1461319980.005704.jpg

Had a lot of fun with it so far. Just waiting for this Cape Town wind to die down so I can fly again

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Soooo, I couldn't wait anymore and bought from Orms Yesterday.

Had a lot of fun with it so far. Just waiting for this Cape Town wind to die down so I can fly again

Soooo jealous! Can't wait to see some CT footage from you...
What'd it cost at Orms?