Quadcopter/Drone Thread

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That's a definite improvement.

How are you printing these?
Commercial print shop in town. R35 for a cut A4 sheet of adhesive vinyl. If I had a white drone I'd probably use clear vinyl but since mine is black I have to use white.

Tander

Executive Member
Commercial print shop in town. R35 for a cut A4 sheet of adhesive vinyl. If I had a white drone I'd probably use clear vinyl but since mine is black I have to use white.

Good point about using a clear vinyl.

I'll take a look t some options - definitely want to add some colour to the drone before our Greece / US / UK trips this year.

And the designs, do you just overly them on top of the template?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Good point about using a clear vinyl.

I'll take a look t some options - definitely want to add some colour to the drone before our Greece / US / UK trips this year.

And the designs, do you just overly them on top of the template?
The one I posted above is just a render to see how it fit together. I turned the shapes into cutlines and placed it over the image. That way I don't have to worry about bleeds.

Eric

Honorary Master
Looking for a good used drone for my son's final year at Uni. What would be a ballpark figure for something that's fairly robust and can manage automated flight using gps waypoints - doesn't need to carry a large payload. What would you get and are there good used drone online shops in SA?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Looking for a good used drone for my son's final year at Uni. What would be a ballpark figure for something that's fairly robust and can manage automated flight using gps waypoints - doesn't need to carry a large payload. What would you get and are there good used drone online shops in SA?
Most any DJI drone and https://flylitchi.com

What does he want to do with it? And what sort of payload?

Eric

Honorary Master
Most any DJI drone and https://flylitchi.com

What does he want to do with it? And what sort of payload?
The payload will be relatively small - a small LiPo battery, Arduino and wireless analyzer (relatively small circuit board) - so probably 50-100 gm max. It's meant to travel to waypoints over an area and take snapshots of the wireless interference. It's a proof of concept so needn't be in the air for 30 minutes or anything. I'm a big DJI fan. Going to check out the fly litchi site now, ta!

What prices would be considered relatively good for (any) DJI models? I don't mind an older design, they've been solid for some time now.

*EDIT* updated the weight.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The payload will be relatively small - a small LiPo battery, Arduino and wireless analyzer (relatively small circuit board) - so probably 50-100 gm max. It's meant to travel to waypoints over an area and take snapshots of the wireless interference. It's a proof of concept so needn't be in the air for 30 minutes or anything. I'm a big DJI fan. Going to check out the fly litchi site now, ta!

What prices would be considered relatively good for (any) DJI models? I don't mind an older design, they've been solid for some time now.

*EDIT* updated the weight.
Anything from a Air and up should suffice.

I'm thinking maybe an older Phantom 2 or 3 would be ideal if that's all he wants to do with it. You should be able to pick one of those up for a song.

zaid7664

I have a dji phantom 2 with a damaged battery. There is possibly more wrong with it. If anyone is interested pm me. Im in durban. Pickup only.

Eric

Honorary Master
Anything from a Air and up should suffice.

I'm thinking maybe an older Phantom 2 or 3 would be ideal if that's all he wants to do with it. You should be able to pick one of those up for a song.
Does the phantom 2 offer autopilot with GPS waypoint programming? I don't know them well at all.

Eric

Honorary Master
I have a dji phantom 2 with a damaged battery. There is possibly more wrong with it. If anyone is interested pm me. Im in durban. Pickup only.
Sorry for the direct question, but it sounds to me you suspect there's definitely more wrong with it, otherwise it's better to replace the battery and sell it working, right?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Does the phantom 2 offer autopilot with GPS waypoint programming? I don't know them well at all.

I’m not sure. You could look at litchi and see if the 2 is supported.

zaid7664

its free. i got many years use out of it before it went bust. battery was damaged on a crash land. From what i can see the drone looks good besides the battery
Sorry for the direct question, but it sounds to me you suspect there's definitely more wrong with it, otherwise it's better to replace the battery and sell it working, right?

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Does anybody know of a local website I can use to purchase drone parts, for a DIY project? I want to 3D print the body and other plastics and purchase the needed electronics separately

eg2505

Honorary Master

Eric

Honorary Master
its free. i got many years use out of it before it went bust. battery was damaged on a crash land. From what i can see the drone looks good besides the battery
I'd be happy to send a courier if you're OK with that? Please let me know.

Eric

Honorary Master
Have you looked into availability and pricing of batteries?
Yes, I will bring a couple back from the US when I travel home from Haiti on my next trip... After testing the electronics with PSU this side.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Updated the design.

Attachments

• IMG_4175.jpg
    IMG_4175.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 34

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Loaded DJI Go onto a Kindle Fire HD we have lying around and it works pretty well on the controller. The big screen is nice to have but I'm going to have to make some sort of sun shade for it to combat the glare.