Quadcopter/Drone Thread

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm impressed! That's well thought out.

Do you need to accelerate forward in Sports mode for the hook to drop down far enough?
Almost the opposite - I have to switch to sports mode so I can "hit the brakes" (pause button) hard enough for it to slide off the front. By design* as long as it's moving forward it stays on. You can turn and even come to a slow stop if you're careful but once I'm airborne I try to keep moving.

*I had a few incidents before I got that one right!

Was also wondering about that. And how is the balance while flying @bwana ?

I attempted fixing a laser pointer on mine the other day and was difficult to mount while keeping the laser button button depressed. Will try again when I can acquire a lighter weighted laser pointer.
The ice block sways and spins a bit, and tends to try to drag it to the right, but it's easy enough to compensate for. It's comfortable with up to 450g or so.

newklear

Expert Member
Depending on the size of your drone and size of laser pointer (you get really tiny laser pointers not much bigger than a coin cell), my thinking would be attaching it to the base of the camera, as it is gimbal stabilised, allowing you to point it pretty accurately and maintain stability.

Obviously not recommended on smaller drones with fragile camera gimbals though.
Cheers for that! Half as strong as my current laser pointer, but also much lighter and smaller.
0.080kg vs 0.17kg for the laser pointers

genetic

Honorary Master
Almost the opposite - I have to switch to sports mode so I can "hit the brakes" (pause button) hard enough for it to slide off the front. By design* as long as it's moving forward it stays on. You can turn and even come to a slow stop if you're careful but once I'm airborne I try to keep moving.

*I had a few incidents before I got that one right!

The only thing I've ever attached to a drone were GoPro's on drone kits we built ourselves (around 2012/2013), before modern stabilised gimbals were a common thing.

Had to be a damn good pilot, as there was only "atti" mode and no live video feed! - so you had to fly completely manually like any other radio controlled helicopter. We crashed it daily, and had to rebuild the drone daily. The GoPro always survived though... Had to have spares of everything. Glad those days are long over. :ROFL:

DSCN2888.jpg

Skimmie

Hi All, Just a quick question.

Are there any regulations when taking your drone onto a plane?

Going down to the coast next week and just want to know beforehand.

Thanks

FrankyF

Expert Member

Thanks
I've not yet travelled by air with my drone (Mavic Pro), but I can imagine the batteries need to be in your checked luggage (I would keep the drone and remote in my carry-on luggage to ensure its safe), but the guys that have travelled with their drones can hopefully better advise.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Thanks
Most airlines that I've flown with insist that lithium batteries are carried onboard and not checked in. Check your airline's website.

Skimmie

Ive checked on Kulula's website, but no mention of it. I will give them a call before the flight to make sure.

Thanks for the feedback

RanzB

Honorary Master
Ive checked on Kulula's website, but no mention of it. I will give them a call before the flight to make sure.

Thanks for the feedback

As bwana says, you should be OK if your batteries are kept in the cabin with you.

1612948979824.png

Skimmie

Thanks, will check if i can find one at a store. Takealot only has stock in CPT so might not be able to get in time

Segg

Expert Member
Nothing wrong with taking it inside the cabin, just obviously don't turn it on.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Morning.
Where to buy Phantom 4 battery ? I googled a little bit, fckit, those things are expensive !!

Have 3 that doesn't want to charge anymore. Were all good last time i used them (MMM...6 months ago?)