Quadcopter/Drone Thread

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Morning.
Where to buy Phantom 4 battery ? I googled a little bit, fckit, those things are expensive !!

Have 3 that doesn't want to charge anymore. Were all good last time i used them (MMM...6 months ago?)
No idea - I looked on takealot for batteries for my MA, I need three, and it's almost going to be better to just buy a new drone.

genetic

Honorary Master
Morning.
Where to buy Phantom 4 battery ? I googled a little bit, fckit, those things are expensive !!

Have 3 that doesn't want to charge anymore. Were all good last time i used them (MMM...6 months ago?)

The batteries have intelligent circuitry that will discharge the battery to around 60% after 3 days or so without use to preserve the battery's life, so they should last a couple of years. It's odd that 3 don't want to charge.

Maybe try charging them via the car charger to root out the charger being a problem?

P4 batteries aren't cheap. You're looking at around R3.5k-R4k a pop.

Cheapest place to shop is normally Droneworld;

HunterNW

Honorary Master
The batteries have intelligent circuitry that will discharge the battery to around 60% after 3 days or so without use to preserve the battery's life, so they should last a couple of years. It's odd that 3 don't want to charge.

Maybe try charging them via the car charger to root out the charger being a problem?

P4 batteries aren't cheap. You're looking at around R3.5k-R4k a pop.

Cheapest place to shop is normally Droneworld;

Thanks. I'll try the car charger, allthough i don't think there's a problem with the original charger.
Tried everything on the net about hibernation mode. Nothing. One battery shows all 4 lights when checking it's battery life, but when charging stays on one light only. Another battery (on closer inspection) is puffy. Like really swollen, so i chucked it.
Haven't used the drone since lock down last year - decided to sell it, if possible. One oke tells me without a battery it's worth 3K.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Some snaps from December. Was playing around with some long exposure shots. Excuse email quality but you get idea. Thoroughly enjoying MA2. A lot more confidence inspiring than my old Mavic Air must be honest.

DJI_0297.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Photo_6553901_DJI_301_jpg_19098050_0_20201213101210_photo_original.jpg

Photo_6553902_DJI_302_jpg_18372594_0_20201213101246_photo_original.jpg

Photo_6553914_DJI_314_jpg_19671787_0_20201213101940_photo_original.jpg

Photo_6553823_DJI_223_jpg_5305129_0_2020121111324_photo_original.jpg

Photo_6553918_DJI_318_jpg_19306668_0_20201213102140_photo_original.jpg

Photo_6553772_DJI_172_jpg_3417122_0_2020121195134_photo_original.jpg

Attachments

• Photo_6553885_DJI_285_jpg_17248457_0_2020121310432_photo_original.jpg
    Photo_6553885_DJI_285_jpg_17248457_0_2020121310432_photo_original.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 28

PAYBACK

Expert Member
No warranty support though?
None of my DJI drones have ever had issues within the year warranty. They make a great product. Amazon warrants their items and they will pay for shipping back to them anyways. I'm happy with that risk.

Taking shipping duties out of the picture they are asking for 10k over the street price. Ludicrous.

airborne

Honorary Master
Thanks. I'll try the car charger, allthough i don't think there's a problem with the original charger.
Tried everything on the net about hibernation mode. Nothing. One battery shows all 4 lights when checking it's battery life, but when charging stays on one light only. Another battery (on closer inspection) is puffy. Like really swollen, so i chucked it.
Haven't used the drone since lock down last year - decided to sell it, if possible. One oke tells me without a battery it's worth 3K.
Some battery packs disable the pack if the cell voltage gets too low, one way around that is to open the battery and rebalance the cells individually and then try charging the pack again.

Really unusual that 3 packs would all die in the same period of storage. Did you maybe store them somewhere that can get really hot?

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Some battery packs disable the pack if the cell voltage gets too low, one way around that is to open the battery and rebalance the cells individually and then try charging the pack again.

Really unusual that 3 packs would all die in the same period of storage. Did you maybe store them somewhere that can get really hot?
Morning. Well, Rustenburg does get hot, but was in my study which is relatively "cool".
The one battery was really bulging, so that one i chucked away. Tried everything with the other two, but alas, fokol. Want to sell the drone as it's just sitting in it's case but i'll have to buy a battery to go with it.
Aparently the drone itself is "worthless".

airborne

Honorary Master
Morning. Well, Rustenburg does get hot, but was in my study which is relatively "cool".
The one battery was really bulging, so that one i chucked away. Tried everything with the other two, but alas, fokol. Want to sell the drone as it's just sitting in it's case but i'll have to buy a battery to go with it.
Aparently the drone itself is "worthless".
In a study it should be fine, it's not something like stored in the garage rafters under the uninsulated tin roof with midday temps hitting 50 degrees.

Sad though, you must feel like I felt yesterday morning waking up to my phone screen shattered, wtf!?

I still don't know what I did because I put the phone in airplane mode before I put it down and I surely would have noticed it but sometimes I throw the phone onto the bed, near a metal torch, it may have landed on the torch by chance but even so the damage is hectic, the screen looks like a bullet hit it :(

Back to the battery, maybe try find someone with an aftermarket charger and try that.

I have a Dremel li-ion die grinder and the charger it came with is super particular about the battery, if I flatten the battery too far it will refuse to recharge it, I fortunately have another charger for a totally different device but also li-ion and the same same battery pack size(voltage) and I can use that with jumper leads and boost the Dremel enough that the original charger will detect it and finish the charge.

You can also use a variable power supply if you have access to one to charge the battery, it needs constant voltage and current controls. Just set the output to the pack voltage(it'll be stated on the battery) and 1A max current to be on the safe side. When charging li-ion to be safe monitor the temp of the battery, never let it get past slightly warm and you'll be fine.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
In a study it should be fine, it's not something like stored in the garage rafters under the uninsulated tin roof with midday temps hitting 50 degrees.

Sad though, you must feel like I felt yesterday morning waking up to my phone screen shattered, wtf!?

I still don't know what I did because I put the phone in airplane mode before I put it down and I surely would have noticed it but sometimes I throw the phone onto the bed, near a metal torch, it may have landed on the torch by chance but even so the damage is hectic, the screen looks like a bullet hit it :(

Back to the battery, maybe try find someone with an aftermarket charger and try that.

I have a Dremel li-ion die grinder and the charger it came with is super particular about the battery, if I flatten the battery too far it will refuse to recharge it, I fortunately have another charger for a totally different device but also li-ion and the same same battery pack size(voltage) and I can use that with jumper leads and boost the Dremel enough that the original charger will detect it and finish the charge.

You can also use a variable power supply if you have access to one to charge the battery, it needs constant voltage and current controls. Just set the output to the pack voltage(it'll be stated on the battery) and 1A max current to be on the safe side. When charging li-ion to be safe monitor the temp of the battery, never let it get past slightly warm and you'll be fine.
Sorry about the phone, that's a kak one. When i was into model cars i had a nice charger that could do anything. Sold it unfortunately when i let go of the hobby. Might just gift my boet the drone and let him buy a new battery.

airborne

Honorary Master
Also I'd Google that battery pack to see if other people have had similar issues. On Makita power tool li-ion batteries if you discharge them to low or they get unbalanced the pack gets permanently disabled, you have to replace a chip in the battery to be able to use it again.

bluepoole

Thought I would share some of my photos on here - will share some more, as well as video footage, as I go along.

f1zbjVY.jpg

pqrVa8H.jpg

BLiXlcI.jpg

AmnTzI6.jpg

PAYBACK

Expert Member
lol the depths of depravity Droneworld will go to to justify their pricing is quite comical. Don't know how these guys get away with it.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Tell us more?
Well they claim to offer a price match. When you show these guys that you can get the same drone for 3k less, as is case with Amazon currently, they go into a whole sales talk song and dance about support, warranty and fixing BS as if every customer is a total idiot and falls for that rubbish. I tried this before with Mavic Air 2 recently purchased also same schpiel.

I provide the price comparison figured I'd give it another shot and try keep it local and all in the form of an Amazon order but person still tried to talk **** in my ear saying drone will cost 38k.

Also see how many hoops you have to jump through with DRONEWORLD when it comes time to make good on warranty issues. Trust me READ THE SMALL PRINT!

Will be in France April so might as well pick one up there.

Capture.JPG

airborne

Honorary Master
Well they claim to offer a price match. When you show these guys that you can get the same drone for 3k less, as is case with Amazon currently, they go into a whole sales talk song and dance about support, warranty and fixing BS as if every customer is a total idiot and falls for that rubbish. I tried this before with Mavic Air 2 recently purchased also same schpiel.

I provide the price comparison figured I'd give it another shot and try keep it local and all in the form of an Amazon order but person still tried to talk **** in my ear saying drone will cost 38k.

Also see how many hoops you have to jump through with DRONEWORLD when it comes time to make good on warranty issues. Trust me READ THE SMALL PRINT!

Will be in France April so might as well pick one up there.

View attachment 1035320
So going via Amazon you'll save almost R13k after paying shipping and SA duties?

dabean

Expert Member
So going via Amazon you'll save almost R13k after paying shipping and SA duties?

More like R3K.