R169 uncapped mobile data SIM tested

Totempole

Expert Member
Datasim should have been more forthcoming about this product. A lot of information about the product is withheld. ~256Kb would be more than usable on a stable ADSL connection, but over 3G, it would be patchy at best.

Also, mentioning LTE on their website is false advertising, and most likely intentionally misleading. Blocking file extensions also should have been mentioned beforehand. I expected a file size limit, but not extension blocking.

What happens if you get an email with a 4MB+ attachment? Are you blocked from downloading it? If you use Outlook, would you even be able to receive emails? It probably goes without saying, that updates for Windows and your Anti-Virus are blocked as well.

EDIT: I see they have since changed it, but here's what it looked like on 21 May:
Google Cache
N4Eal4v.jpg

They clearly mentioned 3G and LTE Speeds.

Last edited:

RichardG

Honorary Master
This guy lied big time.

What happen to the 10GB Wifi??
LTE speeds???
You only get the WIFI upon recharging with R100 clearly stated in their terms and condition. There was no transparency about the speeds being throttled from the word go. Now that the bring up throttling in their terms and conditions they'll hard throttle you below 48 kbps.

One of the guys did mention if you unsatisfied with the product they will reimburse you on condition you've not used the R300 airtime.

ngwenyas

:wtf: why bother? they shud rather call it very capped and shaped lol. who in this world would go over 1GB of social media? such bull!

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
You only get the WIFI upon recharging with R100 clearly stated in their terms and condition. There was no transparency about the speeds being throttled from the word go. Now that the bring up throttling in their terms and conditions they'll hard throttle you below 48 kbps.

One of the guys did mention if you unsatisfied with the product they will reimburse you on condition you've not used the R300 airtime.
If that's the case I'm not using the sim I'll be getting tomorrow, for a hopeful reimbursement. I'm fine with that.

kooldude

Expert Member

The best thing is to buy 2x 2GB telkom mobile data bundle with the 300 rand airtime they gave me and say cheers after the month is finished.

Totempole

Expert Member
You'll probably find that the R300 airtime is only valid for as long as your Datasim subscription is paid.

i.e If you don't pay for the following month the sim is deactivated completely.

Swa

Honorary Master
So who is Data Sim and who is Vetex as both are mentioned or are they the same company?

This is what I expected. When not even the networks are offering anything near this there's no way a mere reseller will be able to.

Yuu

Expert Member
DataSim & Vetex are the same?

So who is Data Sim and who is Vetex as both are mentioned or are they the same company?

This is what I expected. When not even the networks are offering anything near this there's no way a mere reseller will be able to.
This is what i came to post, thanks for spotting it too :).

Lets take some steps back.

18/05/15 - Uncapped mobile data for R169 per month - story posted to let us know of their launch. Many commented being cautious due to what happened previously. Should be noted that APN was not listed on the site and only once ordered.

21/05/15 - Uncapped mobile data for R149 per month – powered by Telkom - This news hits of "another" provider offering uncapped data. Here the APN details are shown on their site. Also noting it is R10 cheaper BUT R199.99 setup fee. This is how i believe they are coining it. They also mention a limited speed [coincidence i think not].

26/05/15 - DataSim reviewed - Thanks Jan but this one goes without saying.........#blamejan

Now i don't hold all blame on mybroadband and their writers however should they not have investigated why DataSim has Vetex as their APN and having reported as two different offerings/companies? I am all for a business becoming successful however this isn't the way [i personally wouldn't know unless i teach myself and learn the market along with beta testing with you guys ;-)].

IMHO - these articles should be updated with a warning. It is basically advertising for more users [tech savvy or not] to having more headaches than Eskom's powercuts :-(.

The site is about users finding solutions to make their lives easier by fixing a technical problem or one that is emotional ["i think i made her preggers" or "I am falling for my cousin"] kinda stuff.

I urge all users who purchased to ask for a refund immediately and spread the info around.

Necropolis

Executive Member
It still surprises me that everyone is surprised that the quality and usefulness of this service is shocking.

I could have told you when the first press release went out that it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Neo_X

Expert Member
R169 uncapped mobile data SIM reviewed

We put Data SIM’s uncapped mobile data service for R169 per month through its paces to see how it performs.
The best thing is to buy 2x 2GB telkom mobile data bundle with the 300 rand airtime they gave me and say cheers after the month is finished.
It was R199 to those who signed up on the promo, its now R299.
isn't this actually 10GB + 10GB after hours? Still a massive bargain - took out the contract 3 years ago.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
You can get 3GB of unshaped mobile data from Afrihost Mobile for R145 a month. That's a much better deal than this rubbish.

LiberateZANow

Hey guys what about Telkom's 60GB+60GB 12month bundle for R1800, I think this is a good deal too if its still available.