'Race a proxy for disadvantage' - Maimane

3WA

Executive Member
"Race a proxy for disadvantage"

Would the word proxy, in this context, mean the following:
the authority to represent someone else
No, more likely a figure that can be used to represent the value of something in a calculation

jack_spratt

Expert Member
No, more likely a figure that can be used to represent the value of something in a calculation
Thanks, so in other words:
"Race, a figure that can be used to represent the value of something in a calculation for disadvantage.

Something like that? I'm thinking with IT hat on.....

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Nice one, DA.

Really don't know who I will vote for now. I cannot abide race-based policies.

BBSA

Honorary Master
This is exactly why I do not support the DA. If we want to help disadvantaged people it should be based on need, not on race. A black person who was educated in a private school is not disadvantage.

The Free Radical

I predict a huge chunk of DA party funding, which traditionally came from white owned businesses, being yanked as a result of this policy.

I also predict a new break-off party of traditional DA party liberals after the elections.
A huge opportunity awaits for those who break away.

konfab

Honorary Master
Do be fair, the white beggars I see appear to be mostly tikkoppe and alkies.
Doesn't matter.

According to Martin Luther Maimane, all we need to know about the total cumulation of individual's advantages and disadvantages is the colour of their skin.

access

Executive Member
everyone cannot be "advantaged". if the advantaged exists, so does the disadvantaged.

how about programs to change the mindset of households, eradicate the culture of poverty, education starts at home.

all this is doing is bolstering the thing you are fighting against, morons.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I predict a huge chunk of DA party funding, which traditionally came from white owned businesses, being yanked as a result of this policy.

I also see a big split in the DA post-elections.
Yet this never happened when Maimane was parachuted to the top over the other more experienced and capable candidates? or did Helen promise them that this was nothing to worry about?

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Wasnt this the chap who said he gets angry when he sees whites shopping and blacks working?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Yet this never happened when Maimane was parachuted to the top over the other more experienced and capable candidates? or did Helen promise them that this was nothing to worry about?
Because the party still had a coherent view and wasn't flip-flopping between policies that alienated chunks of their target voters.

The Free Radical

I think this action is going to be the catalyst for an internal revolt or walk-out.
Up until now everyone bit the bullet and decided to give him a fair chance in order to keep the party united.
Maimane has now crossed the red line for many traditional party hardliners who will not reconcile with this new policy.

Mista_Mobsta

Doesn't matter.

According to Martin Luther Maimane, all we need to know about the total cumulation of individual's advantages and disadvantages is the colour of their skin.
Identity politics at work unfortunately. Play the race card in any format, lose my respect as it shows you can't come up with any solutions except those that further divide a nation.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I think this action is going to be a catalyst.
Maimane has now crossed the red line for many.
Let's see how the ballot pans out after this.
I think they were already going to lose some votes anyway, this however won't result in anything significant as far as votes or funders are concerned. Just to assume that white business by the mere fact of being white are so against any form of AA or BEE is also a problem.