Rain 5G users - Please do a MyBroadband speed test

TechnoChicken

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I've been off-forum for quite a couple of days.

My download speed has been basically halved since loadshedding started, but my upload is still 50-60Mbps.

Logged a ticket with Rain support and have gone through the basics like resetting and moving the router etc.

My connection has been completely stable, and I don't want to cry about a first world problem but where I was constantly getting 400-470 down, I now get below 250 every time I test, but my uploads are still rock solid at 50+

Were there changes to the network or issues that anyone is aware of that I missed out on?

As I said, my connection is stable and 180-220mbps average is still absolutely amazing speeds, I'd just like to know what happend to the 400+ I was constantly hitting. The only thing that changed was loadshedding.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Apologies if this has been discussed before, I've been off-forum for quite a couple of days.

My download speed has been basically halved since loadshedding started, but my upload is still 50-60Mbps.

Logged a ticket with Rain support and have gone through the basics like resetting and moving the router etc.

My connection has been completely stable, and I don't want to cry about a first world problem but where I was constantly getting 400-470 down, I now get below 250 every time I test, but my uploads are still rock solid at 50+

Were there changes to the network or issues that anyone is aware of that I missed out on?

As I said, my connection is stable and 180-220mbps average is still absolutely amazing speeds, I'd just like to know what happend to the 400+ I was constantly hitting. The only thing that changed was loadshedding.
It might have something to do with loadshedding or more people on the towers or something. Have RAIN said if they are now looking at a tower outage?

McGuywer

Executive Member
I would guess more users on the tower.
If you want, try and do a speedtest at 03h00 (hopefully, if there is congestion, it should be minimal).

awvince

Executive Member
Has anybody from Benoni (Rynsoord, Northmead area) tested this new Rain 5G yet?

Nyt Ryda

Went from 20/1 ADSL, to 0/0 stolen Telkom lines, to this - all in one week.

Got lucky as one of the windows in the house can actually see the tower 500m away between the trees, the other window with more foliage was 50-100mbps less when I tested.

Even if the speeds eventually dip when more people join in my area, I'm happy. Hopefully it stays trouble-free.

chakniks

Went from 20/1 ADSL, to 0/0 stolen Telkom lines, to this - all in one week.

Got lucky as one of the windows in the house can actually see the tower 500m away between the trees, the other window with more foliage was 50-100mbps less when I tested.

Even if the speeds eventually dip when more people join in my area, I'm happy. Hopefully it stays trouble-free.
nice to see some1 getting good speeds...for a moment it was beginning to look hopeless with recent threads on low speeds/ cancellation.

MirageF1

Expert Member
nice to see some1 getting good speeds...for a moment it was beginning to look hopeless with recent threads on low speeds/ cancellation.
And therein lies the issue.

But what are the real stats of no's of clients receiving dismal speeds and lack of support for a so called 5G service?
And more importantly who wants to be stuck in a 24 month contract @ R1000 p/m having to fight and plead and claw your way out of it because your speeds are more like 4G or 3G.

Certainly not I!

chakniks

And therein lies the issue.

But what are the real stats of no's of clients receiving dismal speeds and lack of support for a so called 5G service?
And more importantly who wants to be stuck in a 24 month contract @ R1000 p/m having to fight and plead and claw your way out of it because your speeds are more like 4G or 3G.

Certainly not I!
I hope I have not created the wrong impression. I actually do sympathize with those who are not getting a good experience. I just wanted to say that I would rather have 5G work out for everyone. I personally think for those of us in areas that might never ever get Fibre, 5G was a promising alternative.

Bresder

So I've been following this forum this morning & my question is since I can not get cable in my area, which one should I opt for if I'll be downloading a lot and streaming a lot - with cloud uploads, 5g or 4g?

But by the looks of it it seems 5g is on my winning options. How's the 5g router provided by Rain themselves?

MirageF1

Expert Member
Check their coverage map first.
You won't be able to order it if you not in the 5G coverage area.