Rain and storm for Cpt

BTTB

Edited my post above, it was actually 51mm that fell here at my spot in Cape Town, I forgot that I threw out Friday's 15mm from my rain gauge.
15+36 = 51mm.

Good rains, thank you man upstairs, all welcome.

BTTB

There's this eNCA report of mass flooding and destruction, and the only thing they can show is the same tree that's been posted over social media over and over. They even report from that tree!

Cape Town is definitely not used to storms we used to have. This is just a standard winter front - and we need more fronts!
Also not natural to pave around trees, creates abnormal root development.

Winter is not over yet. The worst winters are those that drag on through September, October and even into November.
I recall circa 1996/7, 26 days of rain in September alone which carried on with intermittent cold fronts right up to December. On the 1st of December we joked we may have a white Christmas and in that moment the South Easter said hello and winter was over.
Its the Cape, you can have 4 seasons in one day, still great though.

Reactions: air

Polymathic

Honorary Master

Winter is not over yet. The worst winters are those that drag on through September, October and even into November.
I recall circa 1996/7, 26 days of rain in September alone which carried on with intermittent cold fronts right up to December. On the 1st of December we joked we may have a white Christmas and in that moment the South Easter said hello and winter was over.
Not going to lie Cape Town in that condition looks a a lot like parts of parts of Durban on a normal day.

wingnut771

Executive Member

that's what i was thinking.

genetic

Honorary Master

I remember in 2006 - 2008 the winters produced similar results... Soaking rains! I guess what I'm getting at is that our current drought is cyclic and not a result of long-term climate change. I long for those long rainy showers that last more than a few hours or a day or so.

WAslayer

Expert Member
BTW did you see my previous comment on that lid, asking if the workmen had maybe shifted the lid to access water? If the lid was partially off the tank for any reason, it could easily have been flipped up enough for the wind to take it and blow it away as if it was a feather.
In his post he said the pic was 2017.. so unless they moved the lid back then, it was likely untouched..

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
In his post he said the pic was 2017.. so unless they moved the lid back then, it was likely untouched..
The fundamental problem was that the lid was only held in place by gravity. I can't say more, but in hindsight it should have been secured. Other tank lids were unaffected, and this really was a freak event. The position of the tower block had some effect on turbulence. If it was a more serious incident, a proper forensic study would be justified.

Edit: More storm updates:
1. I heard from a friend that some roofs were damaged in Betty's Bay. They also suffer from mountain turbulence when the wind is from the NW.
2. Just spoke to someone who lives in Harfield Village (Claremont). Their roof was damaged at 2am on Saturday morning, and they had to get someone to deal with rain-water ingress.
3. Walked through PnPay Rosmead (no photos). Looks like false-ceiling boards got water damage, roof itself is intact.
4. Heard from another neighbour that an old oak tree fell in Newlands, damaging some cars.

Last edited:

Defiler

Joh, from rain to this lekker sunny day.
Go for a walk/run/ride!
Will be a good time to pick some shrooms. I found some porcini and pinerings in Newlands, but only half a packet. Now that things have warmed up a bit there should be more.

air

Expert Member
Will be a good time to pick some shrooms. I found some porcini and pinerings in Newlands, but only half a packet. Now that things have warmed up a bit there should be more.
Pick wisely? Are they easy to differentiate the good stuff from the KillYouDead stuff?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Still early days, but numerous model forecasts are showing a significant weather event for the SW-Cape (only), starting on Thurs 9th. Expect cold, wet and windy conditions, with snow possible.

This chart shows the predicted rainfall for the 7 days up to Fri 10th:

totp_week1_s[20200704-11].gif

Segg

Expert Member
Still early days, but numerous model forecasts are showing a significant weather event for the SW-Cape (only), starting on Thurs 9th. Expect cold, wet and windy conditions, with snow possible.

This chart shows the predicted rainfall for the 7 days up to Fri 10th:

View attachment 869795
Good - get your rains, but keep your cold temperatures there - I don't want it anywhere near GP :laugh:

Segg

Expert Member
GP doesn't get our rains or temperatures in winter.

You guys are p*es cold and dry. The Western Cape has neither. ;)
I've been loving the warm weather lately :sneaky: it was those damn fronts a few weeks ago that dropped us

The high pressure needs to keep its ridge nicely over the FS to keep that incoming cold air away from me :p I would like to run in temperatures not below 15 this week :laugh:

ma_sy.gif