Rain and storm for Cpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates:

HANGKLIP ROAD / PRINGLE BAY DAY 5 FIRE UPDATE @ 06:00:
Status: No active fire lines.
Burned areas remain hot regular flare ups occur.
Crews will continue with mop up operations.
The predicted strong South Easterly wind will hamper mop up operations.
All roads are open.
Conditions can change without warning and residents must stay alert.



2 February 2024: BUFFELJAGS / PEARLY BEACH FIRE DAY 5 UPDATE @ 06:00:
Status: The fire continues to burn out of control.
The change in weather brought some light drizzle, but it wasn’t near enough to dampen the growth of the blaze.
Fire approaching Pearly Beach continues to burn in difficult terrain.
The high fuel load is dense and the alien vegetation is hampering fire fighting activities.
There is currently no danger to property and no injuries were reported.

The R43 at the Pearly Beach crossing is closed due to heavy smoke and poor visibility.
Traffic officials on scene to monitor and to redirect traffic.


The teams are still busy with active fire fighting.
 
Seriously guys, be careful out there! I'm a fit 35 year old and I almost died two weeks ago. I'm still recovering. I used to love hot weather and spending the day gardening, doing exercise, and drinking beer! I got serious heatstroke followed by rhabdomyolysis, confirmed by blood tests and a CT scan to check for organ damage, almost R20K later... I've never been in such pain in my life or had such intense heart palpitations and muscle pain, and fainting every time I took a piss or did something strenuous. I've lost 8kg in weight and I am so weak that even getting out of bed is a struggle, oh, and extreme anemia on top of all this... Now I can't spend more than 2 minutes outdoors before I'm too weak or faint to do anything. I've never been this fukd in my life, makes Covid seem like a walk in the park...
 
Seriously guys, be careful out there! I'm a fit 35 year old and I almost died two weeks ago. I'm still recovering. I used to love hot weather and spending the day gardening, doing exercise, and drinking beer! I got serious heatstroke followed by rhabdomyolysis, confirmed by blood tests and a CT scan to check for organ damage, almost R20K later... I've never been in such pain in my life or had such intense heart palpitations and muscle pain, and fainting every time I took a piss or did something strenuous. I've lost 8kg in weight and I am so weak that even getting out of bed is a struggle, oh, and extreme anemia on top of all this... Now I can't spend more than 2 minutes outdoors before I'm too weak or faint to do anything. I've never been this fukd in my life, makes Covid seem like a walk in the park...
Sorry to hear man, that’s sounds nasty af, heal up soon!
What actually did you get up to on the day in question before you got heatstroke?

My body doesn’t handle heat well, if it’s a super hot day and I don’t stay out of the sun in the hottest hours I’ll get a headache almost guaranteed.
 
Sorry to hear man, that’s sounds nasty af, heal up soon!
What actually did you get up to on the day in question before you got heatstroke?

My body doesn’t handle heat well, if it’s a super hot day and I don’t stay out of the sun in the hottest hours I’ll get a headache almost guaranteed.
Thanks!

I built a 48m2 shaded veggie patch during lockdown (only 40% shade cloth) to grow veggies and herbs, on that particular day there was not a breath of wind, so I decided to tie up my tomato plants before the Cape Doctor returned with a vengeance and flattened my plants. I live by myself and growing that many veggies is almost a full-time job. Since there was no wind the temperatures inside the veggie patch kept climbing throughout the day, I did not get sunburnt at all, but I was down there from 11 AM until about 4 PM, then inside my house, the temperature did not drop below 30 degrees even with all my windows wide open and my fans on full blast... My body did not really get a chance to cool down at all.

When I got up the following morning, the first thing I thought was that I'd picked up a nasty flu as my head was pounding and my muscles were so sore, but I thought it was weird since I had no cough or sore throat at all, and my urine was also unusually dark. I was drenched in sweat from the moment I got out of bed, but I had to water my plants. I walked into the sun and practically collapsed, I had to literally crawl back into bed because if I lifted my head too high my ears would start ringing and everything would just white out...

On that day particular day, looking at some of the local weather stations, I saw that the UV index was 14 for most of the day. I reckon I slowly got cooked by UV radiation even though I didn't get sunburnt. My symptoms and sensitivity to heat progressively got worse over the following days and I had to leave home and temporally move back in with my folks. My dad dragged me to my GP and I had blood taken, but my GP did not give me any medication before I got my blood results back. Blood results showed that my CRP (inflammation indicator) was 182! Also, my CK levels were highly elevated and other markers were also all over the place, so I had to go for a CT scan to check for heart and kidney damage. Luckily nothing too serious, but they did pick up a large kidney stone in my right kidney. My urine literally looked like ruby grapefruit juice and my stools were almost pitch black. I could go on and on with the symptoms, but I mostly experienced extreme weakness, muscle pain, heart palpitations, headache, not being able to catch my breath, and fainting. I'm still really weak and it feels like my brain is only firing on 4 cylinders...
 
Pic of veggie patch before I planted anything for summer. When there is no wind, the heat can't escape, and everything inside slowly cooks including me. On average, I was spending 3 - 4 hours down there almost daily. I have no idea how hot things got, but the cap I was wearing was hot to the touch. I also have long thick dreadlocks which makes it difficult to cool my head down.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20231005_161242.jpg
    IMG_20231005_161242.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 59
Seriously guys, be careful out there! I'm a fit 35 year old and I almost died two weeks ago. I'm still recovering. I used to love hot weather and spending the day gardening, doing exercise, and drinking beer! I got serious heatstroke followed by rhabdomyolysis, confirmed by blood tests and a CT scan to check for organ damage, almost R20K later... I've never been in such pain in my life or had such intense heart palpitations and muscle pain, and fainting every time I took a piss or did something strenuous. I've lost 8kg in weight and I am so weak that even getting out of bed is a struggle, oh, and extreme anemia on top of all this... Now I can't spend more than 2 minutes outdoors before I'm too weak or faint to do anything. I've never been this fukd in my life, makes Covid seem like a walk in the park...
Woah thats quite reckless as you have learned.

Personally, I found working on projects over weekends, even in the garage, I basically have a few hours in the morning then I have to be done. When I say a few hours, anything from 7am to 9am is safe, 10am the very latest, then its too hot. 6-7am is for waking up and breakfast and even if I can, a quick exercise before breakfast.

After that, its chill in the shade in the house. Wait for shade to form over the backyard lawn around 3pm-4pm then I can go chill with a beer in the hand and a fire for a piece of meat. Basically summer schedule here. Pool only receive shade around 5pm, at which time its safe to chill there. Before that, the sun will just destroy my skin.
 
Woah thats quite reckless as you have learned.

Personally, I found working on projects over weekends, even in the garage, I basically have a few hours in the morning then I have to be done. When I say a few hours, anything from 7am to 9am is safe, 10am the very latest, then its too hot. 6-7am is for waking up and breakfast and even if I can, a quick exercise before breakfast.

After that, its chill in the shade in the house. Wait for shade to form over the backyard lawn around 3pm-4pm then I can go chill with a beer in the hand and a fire for a piece of meat. Basically summer schedule here. Pool only receive shade around 5pm, at which time its safe to chill there. Before that, the sun will just destroy my skin.
Yep, totally reckless on my part. I have a bad habit of pushing myself to my absolute limits and this time I paid for it. I have ADHD and I am always working on multiple projects at the same time, even if that means skipping a night of sleep just to get things done. After this ordeal, I have decided I should go speak to a shrink and get on some proper meds. This has been a serious wake-up call.

Anyway, enough about me, I just want some rain now. :)
 
Yep, totally reckless on my part. I have a bad habit of pushing myself to my absolute limits and this time I paid for it. I have ADHD and I am always working on multiple projects at the same time, even if that means skipping a night of sleep just to get things done. After this ordeal, I have decided I should go speak to a shrink and get on some proper meds. This has been a serious wake-up call.

Anyway, enough about me, I just want some rain now. :)
Thundering as we speak. Hoping for respite.
 
Seriously guys, be careful out there! I'm a fit 35 year old and I almost died two weeks ago. I'm still recovering. I used to love hot weather and spending the day gardening, doing exercise, and drinking beer! I got serious heatstroke followed by rhabdomyolysis, confirmed by blood tests and a CT scan to check for organ damage, almost R20K later... I've never been in such pain in my life or had such intense heart palpitations and muscle pain, and fainting every time I took a piss or did something strenuous. I've lost 8kg in weight and I am so weak that even getting out of bed is a struggle, oh, and extreme anemia on top of all this... Now I can't spend more than 2 minutes outdoors before I'm too weak or faint to do anything. I've never been this fukd in my life, makes Covid seem like a walk in the park...
So how many boosters did you have? :unsure:
 
There is plenty of thunder here in Vredekloof. The temperature has dropped from 34 this afternoon to 27. Humidity is still very high. It could easily rain as the dew point is 26.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X