RAIN Huawei 5G CPE Pro settings

sand_man

Honorary Master
Do these 5g Rain modems have connectors for external poynting antennas?

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
So i'm like right outside their 5G coverage range. Would I still run on the Unlimited package but with 4G speeds if I can manage them to give me a package?
No you wont, they saw people doing this a mile away and have prevented it.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
So i'm like right outside their 5G coverage range. Would I still run on the Unlimited package but with 4G speeds if I can manage them to give me a package?

Tricky one. I'm officially just within range and indoor unit did not work. They later installed outdoor unit for me. If you're officially outside their range not sure if you have an option.

ILoveGames

No you wont, they saw people doing this a mile away and have prevented it.
They're not doing this whole LTE thing right... Why suddenly give unlimited on 5G, but still providing a 4G package that's sketchy and partially shaped on the worst times possible and runs on cap when you're at home.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
They're not doing this whole LTE thing right... Why suddenly give unlimited on 5G, but still providing a 4G package that's sketchy and partially shaped on the worst times possible and runs on cap when you're at home.
Its not them unfortunately. Its the amount of spectrum available, which is why no ISP has unlimited LTE data.

Reactions: Yuu

ILoveGames

Its not them unfortunately. Its the amount of spectrum available, which is why no ISP has unlimited LTE data.
They sure need to sort this out.. The last 5 years Most ISPs have improved extremely well by taking away any limits to fibre as well as some WISPS did the same, but LTE almost literally remained the same with their caps with a few price adjustments with some LTE providers falling away and some even going backwards with max caps like MTN's new Fixed LTE. It's like LTE is dying in this country.. Worse and worse reliability and stationary/lowering max available caps. Whilst the average filesize of everything is starting to skyrocket like hell

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
They sure need to sort this out.. The last 5 years Most ISPs have improved extremely well by taking away any limits to fibre as well as some WISPS did the same, but LTE almost literally remained the same with their caps with a few price adjustments with some LTE providers falling away and some even going backwards with max caps like MTN's new Fixed LTE. It's like LTE is dying in this country.. Worse and worse reliability and stationary/lowering max available caps. Whilst the average filesize of everything is starting to skyrocket like hell
Unfortunately that is all up to Government. ISP's would love to be able to change things but there hands are tied

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
External unit is 5G OUTDOOR CPE N5368. Don't bother trying to find any specs on it. Have scoured the internet for documentation and have come up short. Can't even find it on Hauwei's website expect some blurb about award given to unit. Have reached out to Hauwei locally but nothing. This is the problem with Chinese tech. Works great but getting info on products is a schlep.

Did not paying anything extra. Can't log into ODU just yet as because I don't have the username and password which is on a sticker on the physical unit currently about 6m in the air, so cant see signal strength and get stats from the unit. My average is around 300/14.

FYI that Outdoor unit sells for $1999 thats excluding the indoor unit

ILoveGames

To put this in short: Let's say there's about 5 extra 5G providers coming in by end of year. How long would it take for Rain to start capping either speed, data or both?

Jake45

Expert Member
Huawei needs to bring down the costs of these routers very soon otherwise the uptake is going to be slow.

The Rain 5G uncapped plan is very similar to the one being offered by Vodafone in the UK which makes me wonder if Vodacom are involved with the rollout.

In the UK the upfront cost of the router is 325GBP (month to month) or 50GBP on an 18 month contract and 50GBP per month for unlimited data on both plans.

They also have several 5G phone contracts available ...

Reactions: Yuu

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Dead for me at the moment. Phoned RAIN and they said fault reported in my area. This morning was running ok.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
To put this in short: Let's say there's about 5 extra 5G providers coming in by end of year. How long would it take for Rain to start capping either speed, data or both?
Those other 5G providers would have there own spectrum for 5G, so it wouldnt affect rain.