Rain Mobile Feedback Thread

MikeTosen

Do they throttle VPNs on the 5G Premium package?
I use NordVPN, and seems like they do throttle the connection, best speettest i have seen via vpn was 70mbps when the connection not over vpn was giving me 300mbps :rolleyes:

But i don't use it for torrents, so it does not bother me much.

extrusion

I use NordVPN, and seems like they do throttle the connection, best speettest i have seen via vpn was 70mbps when the connection not over vpn was giving me 300mbps :rolleyes:

But i don't use it for torrents, so it does not bother me much.
Okay I see, and in general what speeds do you get over VPN? On the standard 5G package they limit to around 3mbps, which is very slow.

Also how does torrents perform (without vpn)?
On the 5G standard package it is shaped heavily, around 50kb/s.

MikeTosen

Okay I see, and in general what speeds do you get over VPN? On the standard 5G package they limit to around 3mbps, which is very slow.

Also how does torrents perform (without vpn)?
On the 5G standard package it is shaped heavily, around 50kb/s.
Im on 5g premium, average is round 35Mbps, using udp protocol.
Torrents, cant say, don't torrent.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Anyone else's R479 rain connection extremely bad this evening ? I know its probably my local tower, but it's been "usable" for the last two weeks or so, but tonight it's gone to the proverbial crapper....

extrusion

Im on 5g premium, average is round 35Mbps, using udp protocol.
Torrents, cant say, don't torrent.
Cool, thanks for the info.

I logged a ticket to get upgraded. Probably going to take 3 weeks before they read it with their awful customer service. 5G standard without warp is not very usable. Everything now shares the "720p bandwidth". Hence watching Youtube, Dstv now and Netflix at the same time you get 3-4mbps divided by 3 per streaming service.

Jimmy

So the other day my dad told me that flies were dying on one single spot ever since he got 5G. Today I experienced the same... I know it's only flies but damn...

telkomiskaI<

@rain_mobile I've sent you a Dm I'm struggling with the slowest rain signal at home it's basically dead, router was at 2 bars last year now nothing. I used to use it at work with okayish speeds, but it seems like Rain is throttling users since the lock down, it streams YouTube at friggen 144p

JonOpollo

for fun I compared my rain sim (19 hours) with my telkom sim set at 2G and YouTube opens faster with video loaded on the telkom sim card. weird to think that I knew at the back of my head the service would deteriorate to some degree but as it stands now compared to when I got the sim at launch is just sad.

telkomiskaI<

for fun I compared my rain sim (19 hours) with my telkom sim set at 2G and YouTube opens faster with video loaded on the telkom sim card. weird to think that I knew at the back of my head the service would deteriorate to some degree but as it stands now compared to when I got the sim at launch is just sad.
It's not even worth using for email browsing that must be 1G equivalent speed lol

RoboVarkie

Something is definitely up with the Rain network. I have a 4G 24/7 uncapped subscription, and today I got another off-peak uncapped on a second SIM. Running a few speedtests to test the new modem (ZTE MF79U), I was impressed, getting up to 19 Mbps via WiFi. Ran about 20 speedtests in different locations, some over WiFi and some on USB, all the time getting between 6 Mbps and 19 Mbps. So I decided to update MW Warzone (39GB download!!!), and all of a sudden my download drops to 0.5 Mbps.

So I thought, okay, maybe the network is becoming a bit contested. Just to make sure, I ran a few more speedtests, and out of 15 runs the download exceeded 1 Mbps only 2 times. Keep in mind this is using the off-peak uncapped SIM.

Now here is where it becomes a bit iffy, I started running speedtests on the (not so much used) 24/7 uncapped SIM, and wow, averaging between 15 Mbps and 19 Mbps over about 10 runs. At the same time the off-peak uncapped SIM only manages to get about 0.8 Mbps. So I decided to plug the modem with the "faster" SIM into my pc, and ran about 3 or 4 speedtests just to make sure, and still, it holds up at about 12 Mbps to 15 Mbps.

"Cool" I thought, so I launch the blizzard.net updater, and within 2 minutes my download speed drops to 0.8Mbps. After closing and exiting the client I ran a few speedtests again, and low and behold, after about 10 runs I the best download I got was about 0.8Mbps.

I know the networks are congested , but something is off with this.

mrlgm007

"Cool" I thought, so I launch the blizzard.net updater, and within 2 minutes my download speed drops to 0.8Mbps. After closing and exiting the client I ran a few speedtests again, and low and behold, after about 10 runs I the best download I got was about 0.8Mbps.
Did some tests with my 5G premium with a VPN and without and its getting shaped.

No VPN then a speed test.

Then with a VPN and tested with different servers.

Attachments

Qhabu

I'm not impressed with Rain, I have been waiting for my SIM, 2 weeks has passed going for the third week.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Man, are they just not even bothering to fix their network? 0.4Mbps down, 5Mbps up. For weeks and weeks and they don't seem to do shet when you report it. Not like it was any better before lockdown.