Rand breaks through R13 to US dollar

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Amazing how the rand has been strengthening since May last year, with the recent political crises registering as a mere glitch on the longer term move.

I'm no economist but I think the global index managers still need to pull their money out of local bonds, due to junk ratings, and those selloffs will surely knock us

yebocan

Executive Member
Amazing how the rand has been strengthening since May last year, with the recent political crises registering as a mere glitch on the longer term move.

I'm no economist but I think the global index managers still need to pull their money out of local bonds, due to junk ratings, and those selloffs will surely knock us
Our currency was not downgraded...so still value in it for global managers...if our currency rating gets notched down..well, the ZAR will tank.

Pitbull

Verboten

The country showing disapproval of the president is what's keeping the Rand fighting ;)

Whatzmyname

The rand certainly surprises us all the time. I dont think anyone expected this.

reactor_sa

Executive Member

Well lot of sell off on the JSE since the cabinet shuffle, so actually there was actually sell off from the ratings downgrade.

Garson007

Honorary Master
Well lot of sell off on the JSE since the cabinet shuffle, so actually there was actually sell off from the ratings downgrade.
Come again? My ETFs have been stagnant for years, if anything a crash in the rand always pushes the index up a few points.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Come again? My ETFs have been stagnant for years, if anything a crash in the rand always pushes the index up a few points.
Depends on the exact index. Go look at ICB 8000 series or financials index since the cabinet shuffle and downgrades.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Ah, I just hold straight-forward top 40/100 types.
I was thinking of global managers pulling their money out of (government) bonds as SA is downgraded

The Top 40 index is different and can go up if currency goes down, because all the shares which get offshore (dollar) revenue are boosted. Naspers is heaviest weighting, and gets most revenue from China. All the mining stocks get a boost as rand price of their products improves and Richemont (Swiss based luxury goods) also gets a boost. Shoprite has stores across Africa. That's my 'amateur investor' take on this.

It's fortunate for us as it prevents carnage on the JSE when the rand tanks - as you do see with the financial stocks like banks.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

Kosmik

Honorary Master