re: My Google Earth cache.

nihilist

Expert Member
Greetings, carbon-based lifeforms.

As some of you may know, I embarked on a quest of creating a rather large Google Earth cache, containing most of South Africa. The cache is now about 1.7GB, nearly the limit of GE's 2048MB disk cache.

I need somewhere to upload it to. I have emailed Agasa, they have politely denied my request to host it there, as their FTP server is for "gaming-related media only".

UUNET is an optuion, but alas, I only have a 128kbit/s upstream, and they tend to delete things very quickly sometimes, and since they have not given me written permission, I don't really want to tread on anybody's toes / get into trouble.

So, can someone suggest an alternative?

I don't mind uploading it, I just want this endeavour to be fruitful.

Suggestions!

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
Greetings, carbon-based lifeforms.

As some of you may know, I embarked on a quest of creating a rather large Google Earth cache, containing most of South Africa. The cache is now about 1.7GB, nearly the limit of GE's 2048MB disk cache.

I need somewhere to upload it to. I have emailed Agasa, they have politely denied my request to host it there, as their FTP server is for "gaming-related media only".

UUNET is an optuion, but alas, I only have a 128kbit/s upstream, and they tend to delete things very quickly sometimes, and since they have not given me written permission, I don't really want to tread on anybody's toes / get into trouble.

So, can someone suggest an alternative?

I don't mind uploading it, I just want this endeavour to be fruitful.

Suggestions!

I am sure your local wug would love a copy of that! We use Google Earth extensively to plot new locations, check Line of Site between users etc...!

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
i wanted to start a thread about Google Earth but thought i would attach it to this one. i downloaded Google Earth a few days ago and i am not sure if its a new version or not but if i put in a street location i could actually go down onto the street itself which actually shows the cracks in the road and whilst i am standing there i can pan around in 3d or something and look at all the buildings around me. i actually walked from one road to another. how do they do that as its fascinating.

Praeses

Expert Member
Give it to some friends and then all of you seed it on a local torrent site maybe? Or get some people to help you upload parts to uunet?

nihilist

Expert Member
Like I said in another thread.. If I upload it to UUNET, by the time I am done they'll prob delete it. I only have a 128k upstream.

I'm looking for a better place to up it to.

Suggestions welcome.