[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Hi is there anyway to prevent dstv from blocking my dstv now on kodi??

Might help if you tell us from where you are trying to access DSTV from, whether you are using a VPN, what device you are using, etc.

Be a sport, give us something to work with.

Smity

Im using a android tv box... No im not using a vpn... Im not sure how they work.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Im using a android tv box... No im not using a vpn... Im not sure how they work.

Well if you are not using a VPN, and don't know how they work, I will assume that you are in South Africa. In which case you are doing something wrong. If you are not in South Africa, then find out which VPN's work, and use one or a Smart DNS, not sure which will work better for you, as I use niether.

Another thing, your Android box must support Widevine DRM

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
I couldnt login to my dstv now account after using it with kodi... Then i contacted dstv and then inform me that the account was blocked due to suspicious active on the account

OK, so you have your reason why it's NOT working ... blocked ... so you need to do what they tell you to do to get it unblocked first of all ... once they've done that, make sure you can log in and watch via the web.

Secondly don't EVER phone them again to quarry why your login isn't working with Kodi ... they didn't officially create this addon, and more than likely dont support it either :rolleyes:

Thirdly, what Android box do you have? ... can't you download and use their official app from the playstore? ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dstvmobile.android&hl=en )

leonb

For some reason running the dstv addon in Libreelec on a rpi4 has a lot of buffering issues. Even the "Catchup" streaming on lowest res is stuttering and stopping. Live tv better but also will stutter one a minute or so. Netflix e.g. runs flawless.

On a hp n54 server I do get buffering on live tv now and then, but catchup streams will never, even at highest res.

Both are hard wired running Libreelec.

Any ideas?

leonb

I would like to know from other users running the DSTV addon on Libreelec (or similar standalone OS) how much buffering they experience on LIVE tv. Thanks.

Strangely, reducing the quality of the stream does not reduce the buffering instances on my setup. So there must be another that affects the streaming.

Düber

Expert Member
I would like to know from other users running the DSTV addon on Libreelec (or similar standalone OS) how much buffering they experience on LIVE tv. Thanks.

Strangely, reducing the quality of the stream does not reduce the buffering instances on my setup. So there must be another that affects the streaming.

I think it is DStv themselves. My pi with OSMC does the same, not unwatchable though, reducing the bitrate does improve it however.
Put kodi or the DStv app on your phone or tablet to try and diagnose perhaps?

src926

I'm running LibreElec on a Pi3 and yes there is stuttering, not always though. Its rare that it becomes unwatchable. Lowering the bitrate doesn't always help. No issues with the Netflix addon though which is even more taxing on the Pi.

enerdude

Expert Member

Running openelec on a S912 box without any issues. This is a much more powerful box than any Pi though.

Gadzin

Addon runs very well with unlocator vpn S.A server try it and it has 7 days free trial its worth a try

Elaai

Is there way to listen to the DSTV music channels as well - my channels only go to +-450 ? Using Kodi on Pi4 with Libreelec

jacob9

Hi, new to the forum as i have only now discovered DStv addon for kodi, anyway whenever i try to log in i get this error, i don't know what it means? Can anyone help? Thanks

Also if its any help, its android tv

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_132105.jpg
    IMG_20201223_132105.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42

enerdude

Expert Member
Hi, new to the forum as i have only now discovered DStv addon for kodi, anyway whenever i try to log in i get this error, i don't know what it means? Can anyone help? Thanks

Also if its any help, its android tv
The addon needs a widewine enabled device. Install / sideload drm info app to check for at least widevine 3.