Reliable DNS

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've got no international at the moment (I'm not capped), so Open DNS isn't working, and Telkom doesn't want ADSL users setting static addresses for their DNS servers. So, what is the best way to handle DNS.

I'm running everything through a RouterBoard, so it has it's own DNS cache, (default size: 2048 KiB, now 4096 KiB) but that means I have to key in static DNS servers.

My questions are:

Is there a way to use the DNS servers Telkom assigns when I connect, and still use the Routerboards cache?

Is this the best way of handling DNS?

If the best way is to use static DNS servers, what are they, and what size should the cache be?

Thanks in advance. If I'm doing it totally wrong, please tell me.:)

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
I know about that site, but:

Dial-Up, ADSL, WiMax, VSAT and WCDMA users should please use the dynamicly assigned DNS information when logging in.

So if I ignore that, do I just pick two and plug them into primary and secondary? How reliable are they, because I've seen them down in the past?

RSkeens

Expert Member
I can access Open DNS services from my SAIX local - only access account.

ponder

Honorary Master
I know about that site, but:

So if I ignore that, do I just pick two and plug them into primary and secondary?

Can you not add more than two? In linux I have about 5 starting with the opendns ones and then the local ones.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
RouterOS only allows two, but I did find out how to use the dynamically assigned addresses given when the modem connects. Hopefully those are reliable.

I still don't understand the DNS cache feature fully, but it seems that 2048 KiB is more than enough space, and that not much can be configured. Why do only some sites cache, I never see mybroadband.co.za on the list. Odd.:confused: If all the sites I visited most often did cache, then any impact from the Telkom servers going down would me minimal. Oh well, some redundancy is better than none, and I'm not going to become a network engineer just to run my small office's internet connection.