RSRQ/RSRP/RSSI/SINR ??

mahomedyk

Hi all,

So I am using MTN's Supersonic LTE which is the best LTE coverage so far since I used to get max 1.5mbps download speed with Telkom's LTE using Vox lol... So I have been researching signal indicators after finding these 4 abbreviations on my device information page... So from what I gathered, the higher (positive figure) the SINR is, the stronger the signal and RSRQ/RSRP/RSSI being the opposite with the lower (negative value) the better the speeds... I just find it quite strange that my signal strengths are as follows:

Current levels while typing this post:
RSRQ -5.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -65dBm
SINR 7dB

However, if I refresh (about a minute later from the previous results):
RSRQ -11.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -59dBm
SINR -5dB

and if I refresh again....... (30 seconds later):
RSRQ -8.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -63dBm
SINR 0dB

So from what I read, my RSRQ/RSRP and RSSI signal strenghts are excellent however I am lacking on the SINR? I just find it quite strange that my levels on the SINR goes from positive 7 to negative -11 then back to +1 then -3 then -7 then 0 then 4.... I'm sure you can see the pattern.

When I run a speedtest... The download speed starts around 30mbps but gradually decreases till its stable around 12/18mbps and the upload is a consistent 20/20mbps... I need to better this! I have positioned my router to the tower location based on the information on a thread here that I used.

OH PS: I am using the router provided by Supersonic which is a Huawei B612.

Any feedback or advice? I am willing to install an external antenna if I need to, I'm sure my landlord wont mind me putting one of those little external boxes on the outside of our apartment :D

.... One more refresh before I depart aaaaand *drum roll* - The results are:
RSRQ -15.0dB
RSRP -89dBm
RSSI -59dBm
SINR -3dB

Hope to get some feedback soon!

darzo27

No feedback to your post though on my end, I'm trying to improve my speeds & signal too and have the same router on the same network (b612,mtn supersonic) and my stats are below.

The XPOL-6 router will be arriving this week so I'll test it out and give feedback..
TBH I never validated whether the bands/frequencies will be compatible.

MTN FLTE SuperSonic | B612. Not in LOS of the tower.
RSRQ -7.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -65dBm
SINR 13dB

MTN FLTE | B618. Positioned next to B612^ same with it on/off so no interference difference.
RSRQ -8dB
RSRP -91dBm
RSSI no value on router
SINR 7dB

I've also got an MTN Fixed LTE package through MWeb though can use the sim in any router unlike with Supersonic and it's in a b618s-22d.

Signal and speed performance is the relatively the same for both configs.
At the right time of day I'll get around 40mbps, best I've seen was ~80mbps, on average between 5-20mbps.

After asking supersonic to change the tower I'm fixed to, my ping dropped though there was also a speed drop when I tested. Likely the network demand changed within the hour though I will need to choose the same servers for future tests as well.

Tested the tiny 10cm^2 4G LTE antennas and they were worse - decreased RSRP by 10, the measurements below are with the standard internal antennas.

Swingblade

HI just found your post.

Here is some feedback i am also on Supersonic unlimited.

Router is a B618-22

RSRQ -70dB
RSRP -5dB
RSSI -57dB
SINR 14dB

As far as i can tell i am about 960M from the tower if it is the one i think it is.

On speedtests i get 70 down and 30 up.

SuperMario

Supersonic Unlimited LTE:

I am within 300m of the tower, using B612-233:

RSRQ -4.0dB
RSRP -66dBm
RSSI >=-51dBm
SINR 17dB

speedtest.PNG

I expected better results, considering how close I am to the tower, but I am happy for now.

I just wish they can stop routing all traffic via JHB. It only adds unnecessary latency for people in other locations.

Last edited:

webyep

Supersonic Unlimited LTE:

I am within 300m of the tower, using B612-233:

RSRQ -4.0dB
RSRP -66dBm
RSSI >=-51dBm
SINR 17dB

View attachment 1063377

I expected better results, considering how close I am to the tower, but I am happy for now.

I just wish they can stop routing all traffic via JHB. It only adds unnecessary latency for people in other locations.
Very nice. You might get better results with a router that does carrier aggregation. Something like Huawei B618, B818 or ZTE MF286C. The latter being my choice right now. Latency is 10ms lower using the ZTE. I have no idea why, using the same towers and frequencies. I get on average between 32 - 34ms to JHB from PE... Sometimes it's as low as 30ms. If I use any other supported Huawei router, it's between 42 - 44ms. I've given up trying to figure out why.

SuperSonic Uncapped

Depends, but right now...

Latency 34ms
Download: 95 Mbps
Upload: 55 Mbps

RSRQ: -11
RSRP: -65
SINR: 20.2

I'm about 1.8km from the tower.

Last edited:

webyep

Hi all,

So I am using MTN's Supersonic LTE which is the best LTE coverage so far since I used to get max 1.5mbps download speed with Telkom's LTE using Vox lol... So I have been researching signal indicators after finding these 4 abbreviations on my device information page... So from what I gathered, the higher (positive figure) the SINR is, the stronger the signal and RSRQ/RSRP/RSSI being the opposite with the lower (negative value) the better the speeds... I just find it quite strange that my signal strengths are as follows:

Current levels while typing this post:
RSRQ -5.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -65dBm
SINR 7dB

However, if I refresh (about a minute later from the previous results):
RSRQ -11.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -59dBm
SINR -5dB

and if I refresh again....... (30 seconds later):
RSRQ -8.0dB
RSRP -88dBm
RSSI -63dBm
SINR 0dB

So from what I read, my RSRQ/RSRP and RSSI signal strenghts are excellent however I am lacking on the SINR? I just find it quite strange that my levels on the SINR goes from positive 7 to negative -11 then back to +1 then -3 then -7 then 0 then 4.... I'm sure you can see the pattern.

When I run a speedtest... The download speed starts around 30mbps but gradually decreases till its stable around 12/18mbps and the upload is a consistent 20/20mbps... I need to better this! I have positioned my router to the tower location based on the information on a thread here that I used.

OH PS: I am using the router provided by Supersonic which is a Huawei B612.

Any feedback or advice? I am willing to install an external antenna if I need to, I'm sure my landlord wont mind me putting one of those little external boxes on the outside of our apartment :D

.... One more refresh before I depart aaaaand *drum roll* - The results are:
RSRQ -15.0dB
RSRP -89dBm
RSSI -59dBm
SINR -3dB

Hope to get some feedback soon!
I've tried a few Huawei routers, and they all seem to fluctuate like you have observed. I can't say my internet experience was degraded, but my desire to improve the signal was fueled - without much success. The ZTE router does not fluctuate, and is my preferred router - although there is no way to lock to specific bands.