S8 Plus Custom Rom?

Mars

Honorary Master
Since I have decided not to upgrade this year and keep my S8 plus I have been playing with the idea of loading a custom rom without some of the more annoying samsung and vodacom crap in it.

The con will be the knox thing. I'm not sure what that entails. I have read that banking apps and some games like pogo will not run on a rooted phone. Samsung pay is gone but thats ok since I dont use it anyway. What about things like zapper, snapscan and so on? Will they run on a rooted phone?

Pro's I have read are better phone performance, and obviously the ability to use the bixby button for whatever I want.

Other than that the last phone I put a custom rom onto was my Note 3. Are there any other issues I don't know about? Should I Rather load a vanilla samsung rom?

MeestaR

Expert Member
XDA Developers should have some ROM's available, like LineageOS, i think... I run LineageOS on my LG G3 (d855)

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
You can use root cloak to block apps from picking up root, but yes, most financial related apps will either bitch or outright not work. Those that will work will disable biometric login.

Knox is only an issue if your under warrenty and seeing as your not upgrading ur warrenty is either gone or not long for this world.

On the plus side, seeing as you will be getting rid of Samsung bload, **** code and cock choices, after going custom your phone will be between 3 and 10 times better performant.

Also, custom rom DOES NOT EQUAL rooted. Most of them will still require additional steps to install/enable root, lineage for 1 is unrooted by default.

Mars

Honorary Master
You can use root cloak to block apps from picking up root, but yes, most financial related apps will either bitch or outright not work. Those that will work will disable biometric login.

Knox is only an issue if your under warrenty and seeing as your not upgrading ur warrenty is either gone or not long for this world.

On the plus side, seeing as you will be getting rid of Samsung bload, **** code and cock choices, after going custom your phone will be between 3 and 10 times better performant.

Also, custom rom DOES NOT EQUAL rooted. Most of them will still require additional steps to install/enable root, lineage for 1 is unrooted by default.

Awesome, thanks.
Now I need to find a pie rom for my phone.