SA hard drive pricing comparison

Jagtiger

Expert Member
What do you guys use to index/catalog your drives in case you need to find something obscure you know you saved yonks ago?

I have 2 x 1TB onboard + (externals) 2TB + 1.5TB + 3 x 320GB + 640GB (2.5") + a handful of memory sticks & many DVD backups accumulated & recently almost tore my hair out trying to remember on which one I saved the original Halo iso 'cos the kids haven't played that in a while.

Make one Excel file with summary of items you have on your HDD's, DVD's, memory sticks, etc.; mark your drives by stickers with numbers (use envelopes for DVD). Write down every item in excel you have on drive and mark it as under "Drive <Number>" etc.
I'm using this method to index movie collection consisting of several hundreds of DVD's. Every movie is written down and in what envelope. Makes searching much simpler.

On topic: They getting cheaper and cheaper, looking at one of those for back-ups. :)

ruan567

Make one Excel file with summary of items you have on your HDD's, DVD's, memory sticks, etc.; mark your drives by stickers with numbers (use envelopes for DVD). Write down every item in excel you have on drive and mark it as under "Drive <Number>" etc.
I'm using this method to index movie collection consisting of several hundreds of DVD's. Every movie is written down and in what envelope. Makes searching much simpler.

On topic: They getting cheaper and cheaper, looking at one of those for back-ups. :)

Nooooo..... way too much trouble - Advanced Disk Catalog (http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Disk-Catalog/3000-2248_4-10007107.html).

Rudimental

Expert Member
I agree, that's why I posted it - do some research and you will find most of the cheaper NAS and EXT HDD makes use of "repaired" HDD.

Please comment once done.

Nothing to do with new WD drives sold in retail, which is what this topic is about.

Furthermore, ALL brands of hard drives are repaired where feasible and then resold as refurbished, by someone reputable like Lacie, or resold as new by dubious third parties. This is not WD specific, and your claim that WD 'uses' reconditioned drives is at best ambiguous, and at worst malicious.

Last edited:

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I've bought 3 of the Seagate Barracuda Green 5900rpm 2TB drives. Two internal and one external. Gonna buy another 2TB Seagate just cause they are so damn cheap. I think I saw them going at R770 on the latest price list.
Where is that?

Jan

Drifting in the black
lol, literally changed between my post and yours - i refreshed the page (which was still open at 699) and it changed to 869

Wonky... I wonder why? Mistake? Because they certainly can't hide behind the ever-popular "oh but the exchange rate" excuse :p

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
Since we are here talking about one of the newest mainstream trends in computing, can someone tell me what you call 1,000 Terabytes?

I am pretty sure we are gravitating towards that.

I'm just asking.

1,000 TB? What is it called? Anyone...?

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
In that case I will wait for the price of a PB (petabyte) to go down before I buy an external hard drive. By the looks of things that could be sometime this year.

Nice. Thanks Rudimental. Aren't you such a pun.

Last edited:

Aragon

Would be nice to see how the Samsung HD204UI compares. It wasn't even in the list...

Necksy

I don't think the price fall curve of these drives is fast enough.

Beylie

Expert Member
Makro's got external 2TB Fujitsus for R970. Copies at around 24MB/s on my rig, probably 5400rpm then?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I love my 4x Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TBs and 2x Seagate Barracuda LP 2.0TBs. You can never have enough storage (and backup).