SA hard drive pricing comparison

drukkie

Expert Member
It's cheaper these days to backup stuff to an extra drive than it is to back it up to DVD LOL

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
It's cheaper these days to backup stuff to an extra drive than it is to back it up to DVD LOL

These days ??? .... i have not backed up to DVD in over 2yrs after moving to the ext HDD method ... before that it was basically a DVD per week :mad:

drukkie

Expert Member
These days ??? .... i have not backed up to DVD in over 2yrs after moving to the ext HDD method ... before that it was basically a DVD per week :mad:

figure of speech...i get these at cost so ya for a while now...think 1TB are going for R350ex at esquire now...

ToAsTeD

Expert Member
I have not used DVDs as backup in ages.

Extra HDD FTW!

+1, besides you always know where the files are structured on the hard drive, going through 1000's of DVD's to try find 1 program/file is a beeeeg mission.

Antonf

Expert Member
An external HDD with "intelligent" backup software is a MUST. Even more important is to remember to plug the HDD in and allow the backup to be updated. Friend of mine got the first one right but not the second. He cancelled an overseas holiday over December to redo work... I think he's become the most religious backupper in SA!

Dolby

Honorary Master
How big a diffference does the cache make?

I had a Seagate fail on me over the weekend - so I ripped open my WD MyBook 500GB and used that drive. I see it's only 8MB cache though :/

SHVAK

Honestly where did you get your prices, they are way too expensive. Obviously you did not shop around at all.
Only use DVDs when I am sending someone stuff.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Honestly where did you get your prices, they are way too expensive. Obviously you did not shop around at all.

As stated, these are *retail* prices as obtained from three different popular online PC hardware stores. I also looked at two other stores and the prices from the three used seemed to match up pretty well.

Also the purpose isn't to indicate how much you should be paying for a hard drive necessarily, but rather which hard drives offer the best bang for buck.

Buzybuy

Dealer
Love the Seagate 1TB drives, got a few of them in use and working great so far.
Used Western Digital before and never really had many problems with them but heard they are not what they use to be.

mfumbesi

Expert Member
My mind gets a spasm when I see R370 for 500G HDD, that is great value!
A DVD should set you back anything from R2-R10, and you get 4.5G and write only once. I think the optical drives are heading the way of the Dodo.

who.is.michael

Expert Member
Two things that are not mentioned in the article which is rather important:

1. Western Digital makes use of reconditioned drives.

Western Digital support software such as the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool kit may imply the ability to correct certain hard drive failure issues. Disregard the concept. Once a hard drive has exhibited the warnings of a mechanical or digital crash, do not trust that hard drive with your important data. Even the process of reinstalling Windows is too aggravating to trust to an error-prone hard drive. Count in the frustration that is involved in loading and updating all of your favorite programs, correcting email information, and customizing all of the desktop features, and you will be disappointed by a reconditioned Western Digital hard drive.

Read more: Western Digital Support - Western Digital Support Increases Chances of Data Recovery - Drive, Hard, System, Backup, Information, and Error http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/artic...ases-Chances-Data-Recovery.html#ixzz1BTLosn90

2. Why HDDrives die.

We put a man on the moon, and a motorized skateboard on Mars ... So why can't we make a failure-proof disk drive? The answer, of course, is that we could. But the question is whether manufacturers should? You know that a more reliable drive is going to cost somewhat more to make, and therefore needs to sell for a higher price. But you can't SEE the reliability of a drive when you look at it. They all appear to be pretty much the same, so there's no way to tell that one drive will be more reliable than another.

Thus, from the perspective of the manufacturer, putting more reliability into their drives is wasted money, since no one will buy their drives for that reason. If one drive costs 20% more than another, say $239 instead of $199, and the drives are the same size and seem identical, wouldn't everyone save the $40 and happily take home a new drive for $199? Of course.

That's why, when you're in the business of making hard drives the first thing you learn is that ...

Reliability Isn't Profitable!

Therefore, NOT ONE DIME is spent on RELIABILITY beyond the barest minimum required. What we get instead, are drives that work "well enough" and are equipped with multi-year warranties to cover the percentage that statistically die sooner than is reasonable.

But what IS reasonable? Your prematurely dead drive is replaced for free. Thank you very much. But what about your data? Nope. There's no guarantee for your data. It's gone forever. Period. And if your drive happens to statistically outlive its warranty, then when it dies you still lose all of your data ... and your drive too.

It's clear that if you care about the data on your system's drives you must think of your drives as HIGHLY VOLATILE storage that's been manufactured as cheaply as possible. And since the drive's manufacturer won't take any responsibility for your data ... YOU must.

Suppliers:
Computer Storage Services
CompuWeb - has specials running on HDD, call them to confirm pricing.
DC3 - call them for pricing.

Last edited:

nuyork

Expert Member
I've bought 3 of the Seagate Barracuda Green 5900rpm 2TB drives. Two internal and one external. Gonna buy another 2TB Seagate just cause they are so damn cheap. I think I saw them going at R770 on the latest price list.

Rudimental

Expert Member

Good going, champ. That is a WD support article telling you not to use drives that have any sort of hardware failure. The 'reconditioning' is what happens when you use software to get around a hardware fault. The 'reconditioned drive' is your original WD drive that you, or a 3rd party, have used this software on. WD themselves are telling you that if you use such software on a WD drive, then you will be disappointed by the results.

who.is.michael

Expert Member
Good going, champ. That is a WD support article telling you not to use drives that have any sort of hardware failure. The 'reconditioning' is what happens when you use software to get around a hardware fault. The 'reconditioned drive' is your original WD drive that you, or a 3rd party, have used this software on. WD themselves are telling you that if you use such software on a WD drive, then you will be disappointed by the results.

I agree, that's why I posted it - do some research and you will find most of the cheaper NAS and EXT HDD makes use of "repaired" HDD.

Please comment once done.

grok

Honorary Master
What do you guys use to index/catalog your drives in case you need to find something obscure you know you saved yonks ago?

I have 2 x 1TB onboard + (externals) 2TB + 1.5TB + 3 x 320GB + 640GB (2.5") + a handful of memory sticks & many DVD backups accumulated & recently almost tore my hair out trying to remember on which one I saved the original Halo iso 'cos the kids haven't played that in a while.

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
I've bought 3 of the Seagate Barracuda Green 5900rpm 2TB drives. Two internal and one external. Gonna buy another 2TB Seagate just cause they are so damn cheap. I think I saw them going at R770 on the latest price list.

Getting 4 of those today for a RAID-5 setup :).

Jan

Drifting in the black
I agree, that's why I posted it - do some research and you will find most of the cheaper NAS and EXT HDD makes use of "repaired" HDD.

It's worth noting that this article is about the pricing sweet spot of individual internal drives, not NAS systems or external HDDs.