SA hard drive pricing comparison

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I don't think the price fall curve of these drives is fast enough.
LOL well what can you do about it. I think it's pretty amazing personally. Still remember we had an 8mb hard drive in our home PC. In fact how a hard drive even works in the first place is a technological marvel to me.

As for using the cloud, yes it's useful but you need great internet speed, and even then, storing terabytes is impractical.

Last edited:

elysian

What do you guys use to index/catalog your drives in case you need to find something obscure you know you saved yonks ago?

What I used to do (when backing up to DVD), is to run a DOS command/bat file where I just output the result of a dir command (with whatever switch you desire) to a txt file. Number the DVD and name the txt file accordingly. Then just search the text files.

Something simple like the following was good enough for me:
Code:
dir e: /b /s > Backup_.txt

At the moment I just back up to HDD, so haven't needed this method (and will probably search for a better alternative), but does still come in very handy when digging up something ancient. :)

K

kingrob

Only disc media that might still be applicable, is double sided blu-ray discs at 50GB.

It's insanely expensive, but very nice if you want a hard copy of critical company/personal files.

maeztro

What do you guys use to index/catalog your drives in case you need to find something obscure you know you saved yonks ago?

I have 2 x 1TB onboard + (externals) 2TB + 1.5TB + 3 x 320GB + 640GB (2.5") + a handful of memory sticks & many DVD backups accumulated & recently almost tore my hair out trying to remember on which one I saved the original Halo iso 'cos the kids haven't played that in a while.

Cathy
http://www.mtg.sk/rva/
An extremly small, very fast and easy to use media cataloging tool. You can use it to index files stored on removable media (CD's, DVD's or even diskettes), hard disks or net drives, and create searchable catalogs that can be used without having access to original media. Searching capabilities are based on file name, date and size. Additional features include filtering options, search duplicates or singles, customizable date format, etc. Found files can be opened (executed) or deleted directly, if they are present. Drag&drop support. Directory trees, MP3 album/song lists can be printed, disk space usage can be investigated. Single file executable, no install needed.

It realy works!

Dan C

Honorary Master
Only disc media that might still be applicable, is double sided blu-ray discs at 50GB.

It's insanely expensive, but very nice if you want a hard copy of critical company/personal files.

I still don't trust optical media for backups :(

I hate DVD and CD's :D why have such a bulky drive installed in my PC that makes a whirling sound ... ah well guess soon optical drives will be gone in PC's. ;)

K

kingrob

I still don't trust optical media for backups :(

I hate DVD and CD's :D why have such a bulky drive installed in my PC that makes a whirling sound ... ah well guess soon optical drives will be gone in PC's. ;)

No way! I still have way too many DVDs & blu-ray discs for that to happen. Very happy with optical drives in my pc....and how else am I gonna burn music & mp3 cds for my car?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Those prices are nuts. You can get them a lot cheaper if you shop around.

MickeyD

RIP
Those prices are nuts. You can get them a lot cheaper if you shop around.

As stated, these are *retail* prices as obtained from three different popular online PC hardware stores. I also looked at two other stores and the prices from the three used seemed to match up pretty well.

Also the purpose isn't to indicate how much you should be paying for a hard drive necessarily, but rather which hard drives offer the best bang for buck.

MickeyD

RIP
Ahhh...doh! :)
I think most of us here can (and do) source hdd's for far less than the prices quoted in Jan's article. He's catering for a broader audience than us plebs!!

/glances over to pile of hdd's on desk

2/3 years ago I would buy a 50 pack of DVDs and save my "data"... now I simply buy new hdd's!

RJMadCat

Rectron R599 +14% vat 1.5 TB seagate Barracuda SATA2, 2TB green Series SATA3 for R769 +14% vat

4cer

Expert Member
You can get that seagate green 2Tb for R666 on special at rebeltech :)

thats the sweet spot right there.