DA Chief Whip George Michalakis said in an interview on Tuesday that the DA was aware that if a majority cannot be secured for a single vote, “then the whole Appropriation Bill fails”.
Asked about the consequences of this for the GNU, Michalakis said: “The budget process and our presence in the GNU are two separate things. It all depends on what the president is willing to do. Hopefully, between now and the vote on 23 July, the president will do the right thing.”
Enormous frustration
DA spokesperson Willie Aucamp confirmed that the DA would not vote for the two budget votes it had singled out two weeks ago. He said the caucus had not met since the allegations about Minister of Police Senzo Mchunu surfaced.
Steenhuisen did not reply to a request for comment on the implications for the GNU.
Other DA leaders speaking off the record over the past week expressed enormous frustration with the ANC, saying that it lacked principles and ethics, was chaotic and could not be salvaged.
“We cannot continue like this,” said one senior leader.
The chair of the Standing Committee on Appropriations, Mmusi Maimane, said that without the DA’s support, Parliament might not have an Appropriation Bill.
“Parliament is sleepwalking into a budgetary crisis. There is no management of engagement to ensure that the votes have a majority. I have tried to rally people together to say this bill has to pass or else, but my impression is that the ANC has had enough of the DA and the DA has had enough of the ANC, and there is no dialogue between them,” he said.
The vote on the Appropriation Bill in the National Assembly is scheduled for 23 July.
At the end of next week, the ANC will hold a crucial NEC meeting, at which the DA’s participation in the GNU will come under scrutiny. This is the first NEC meeting since the budget crisis began on 2 April, when the DA did not support a vote on the fiscal framework.
A special NEC meeting that had been called to discuss the crisis was cancelled at the last minute by the ANC’s top seven, averting an almost certain decision by the NEC to remove the DA from the GNU.
Following the April incident, anger in the ANC’s parliamentary caucus and among its activist base was palpable. However, the more than 80-member leadership structure has not yet had an opportunity to discuss the GNU since these developments.
Several members of the NEC said that the meeting was anticipated to be a “difficult” one, with a big push against the DA. Some ANC leaders still believe that the relationship with the DA should be saved, as it was the only prospect of a stable government. However, others think that ActionSA — which assisted the ANC in passing the fiscal framework on 2 April — would be a more suitable partner.
ActionSA has six seats in Parliament, which narrowly gave the ANC plus the GNU partners – excluding the DA and the FF – a very small majority in the 400-seat house when voting on the fiscal framework. However, this would be a very tenuous alliance, with some very small parties able to extort concessions from the ANC on every voting issue and the ANC needing to have all members present to guarantee votes will pass. It would also leave Ramaphosa vulnerable to a motion of no confidence at any time.
However, ActionSA has already said it will vote against the budgets of Defence, Labour and Employment, and Higher Education. ActionSA national chairperson Michael Beaumont said the party was open to engaging with the ANC both over the budget votes and the GNU, but it had strict conditions under which it would do so.
Beaumont said any possibility of ActionSA’s participation in the GNU would be contingent on a detailed coalition agreement of the programme of government, something the DA had failed to secure before voting for Ramaphosa to become president.
“We are available but sceptical that the ANC is really willing to engage and do the things necessary to move the needle on the economy,” he said.