SABC through DVB-T2 on HD TV?

I wandered into a Post Office and noticed boxes of STB ready for distribution. This obviously means all court cases are over and roll out is imminent. Now that SABC won and there is no encryption on the boxes, does this not mean tv's with dvb-t2 should be able to pick up these channels? Will the satellite dish need to be moved to pick up these channels?

Dretastic06

I moved my TV to the garage for the weekend and popped in my kids rf wire from the dstv and to my surprise while searching for the dstv channel it populated a couple of etv channels in HD and the sabc channels plus a few other radio stations. It also somehow showed me a list of DSTV channels.

I moved my TV to the garage for the weekend and popped in my kids rf wire from the dstv and to my surprise while searching for the dstv channel it populated a couple of etv channels in HD and the sabc channels plus a few other radio stations. It also somehow showed me a list of DSTV channels.
Did you go through the dstv decoder or rf cable straight into tv?

nemisiz

do you use a satellite dish or RF antenna?
if antenna where do you get one and what are the required specs for Digital tvb-2 signal?

You would use a satellite. And most hd Tv's have a digital tuner on board. For example my Hisense has a DVB -t2 tuner, which is the european standard, and what is being used by SABC.

The next question will be how much money will SABC save if they first find out which households have digital tuners already installed on their televisions. If it is available directly to televisions, it should be advertised so people don't have to fill out ridiculous forms and queue at the post office.

Sumen

Expert Member
The next question will be how much money will SABC save if they first find out which households have digital tuners already installed on their televisions. If it is available directly to televisions, it should be advertised so people don't have to fill out ridiculous forms and queue at the post office.
I thought They only giving the box's to poor people, the rest must buy one.

TheRoDent

Expert Member
I think, the big question, for someone that's on this forum is simply "WHY?"

Why would you care about that crap ?

Really shouldn't be poor people receiving them, should be TV license owners, regardless of income.
That begs the the next question, why are we paying tv licences when we buy tv's? If the tv isn't picking up the signal, and the box is, shouldn't the tv licence be checked when buying the stb. Televisions are effectively projectors/monitors since the introduction of digital signal.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I have a cheap Chinese DVB-T2 box that I am yet to open. What kind of antenna will I need for it? Is there anywhere that they show the coverage and band (UHF / VHF) for different areas?

Digitaluser

Hi - I am looking for a DVBT2 set top box in Cape Town - I understand that China Town may sell them - would the instructions, onscreen information and remote be in English - has anybody had experience of setting them up - thanks:)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It works best with an external one.
I know, but what do I need? UHF? VHF? Back when I still watched analogue TV you could buy a grid antenna and it was either UHF or VHF depending on the orientation. If you have direct line of sight to the transmitter you could use a Yagi if you wanted UHF.

What I need is a list of transmitters, where they are and what band they are broadcasting on.