Samsung Galaxy S10

Ok, let's go...

New Galaxy S10 rumor says Samsung might ditch the iris scanner

The Galaxy S10 may be far away from launch, but the rumors have already started flooding the internet. What’s surprising is that there are more rumors coming out about the Galaxy S10 than the Galaxy Note 9 which is just a couple of months away from hitting the market. Today, we have a few more details about the Galaxy S10 emerging out of Korea. Before we dive into them, remember, nothing is official until Samsung announces it. So, take all these rumors and leaks with a healthy dose of skepticism.

According to a report in The Bell, the Galaxy S10 will be the first Samsung device to feature an in-display fingerprint reader. The company apparently tried to bring it to the Galaxy Note 9 but failed to do so due to time and technical constraints. Apart from the in-display fingerprint scanner, Samsung, in collaboration with the Israeli firm Mantis, is also reportedly working on a 3D face-scanning module of its own, similar to the one found in the Apple iPhone X.

A 3D scanning module will offer many benefits

If Samsung succeeds in equipping the Galaxy S10 with a 3D scanning module, then, the report states, the company would ditch the iris scanner entirely for cost and weight savings. Hinting at the development of a 3D module, Samsung has reportedly ordered sample parts for the Galaxy S10 from all the component suppliers except those who supply for the iris sensor.

It does make complete sense for Samsung to remove the current facial and iris scanning authentication systems if it succeeds in putting a 3D scanning module in the Galaxy S10. All the 3D scanning modules we have seen so far are faster and more accurate than Samsung’s current solutions. Also, such a module will help Samsung in dramatically improving its AR Emoji feature as well.

Finally, the report also says that the Galaxy S10, as expected, will come in two screen sizes – a 5.8″ regular model and a 6.3″ plus variant. Unlike many other OEMs, Samsung has so far refused to adopt notched displays to increase the screen-to-body ratio. It remains to be to seen if Samsung sticks to its superior design choice, particularly when it is also planning to cram a powerful 3D face-scanning module into the Galaxy S10.
https://www.sammobile.com/2018/06/22/new-galaxy-s10-rumor-says-samsung-might-ditch-the-iris-scanner/

Nimz

Expert Member
Let this be the official discussion thread for everything S10 related - In memory of the homie Fanie

The Voice

Executive Member
Someones in trouble..
Eish...

Glad they went with the hole punch. And really happy they moved the fingerprint sensor back to the front - can finally use it again.

Of course - it could be someone pulling the wool over our eyes. But we'll know for sure soon enough.

Last edited:

Arzy

Honorary Master
As I'm still rocking an old S6+ I do believe that it is time to upgrade. May also finally be time to kick Vodacom and jump to someone else.

Currently, purely based on website data, Telkom seems to be offering the better deal. (This is for the S10+ 128gb)

Vodacom is going to be R1199 for 400 minutes and 900mb per month, once off 10gb and a cover+buds.
Telkom is coming in at R1199 for 400 minutes and 5gb per month plus 10gb per month for 6 months and buds, along with all the other freeme thingies.

The Voice

Executive Member
Will get the S10 when my upgrade is ready. £44 a month, 60GB, unlimited UK calls and texts on Vodafone.

Nimz

Expert Member
Yeah my contract is due for upgrade on MTN but their pricing is bulls!t so will be going with Telkom - S10 @ R799

Brawler

Executive Member
So what you guys pre-ordering and with which network?
I'm due for a MTN upgrade March 13th. Not sure if I can pre-order with an upgrade.

As much as I'd like a big screen I think the s10+ will be too hefty as I run/cycle with a phone a lot. Also, that double camera cut out looks ugly AF.
Seriously considering the S10e due to its compactness. Or maybe the normal S10 as a perfect balance...

I'm going to think about it and hopefully see a demo before making my decision. Might also just go for something mid-range as these phones are getting pricey!

momo235

GSM arena says the sim2 slot will be shared with the sd slot. Anyone have this spec? Wouldn't want to choose between sd and 2nd sim

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
I really hope that S10 5G comes down here, not because of 5G,but because it seems to be using the very latest in Memory chips (UFS3.0), hence the 256GB Internal storage with no expansion, also the 4 Cameras at the back and 6.7inch Display.

I hope Samsung bring a Note10 5G like this, as the SPen is really what's missing for such a large display.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Galaxy S10+ has dethroned the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as the battery king it seems and the Note9 has seen great improvements in its Android Pie OneUI update in terms of efficiency: