Samsung Galaxy S3

:) No, Deep Sleep is exactly what you want. That means your phone is sleeping properly and no app is bugging it.

Before you go to sleep tonight reboot your phone and then tomorrow morning we look at the rest.

For now.

1. Give us an estimate of your drawn current from BatteryMonitorWidget.

Tap Widget > Tap History (Bottom Left) > Read the first column (under mA)

2. Open BetterBatteryStats

Tap Top Dropdown box and select "Partial Wakelocks" (This is the damn buggers waking your precious up from DeepSleep)

Check the top listed entries. We should find your culprit there.

PS. Screenshots might give better indication.

Laters


Hey Krypt, I charged my phone over night, sorry didn't quite follow your steps, anyway, here are some screen shots I have taken this morning.


http://www.mybroadband.co.za/photos/showphoto.php?photo=32123&cat=500

http://www.mybroadband.co.za/photos/showphoto.php/photo/32121/title/battery1/cat/500

http://www.mybroadband.co.za/photos/showphoto.php/photo/32119/title/better-battery/cat/500

http://www.mybroadband.co.za/photos/showphoto.php/photo/32117/title/wakelock/cat/500


It looks like Juice Defender which is actually supposed to save battery is waking the phone up if I read that correctly. Also AudioOut_1 seems to be a big culprit and some others. Going to google this AudioOut_1 now.
 
Last edited:
Hi Grim

1. On the BMW, you will see %/h, %, mV, °C, tap on the %/h once to change it to mA

Then when you wake up tomorrow morning you take another screenshot.

2. Bluetooth is know to be a BIG battery hogger on Android (Unlike WiFi). Switch it off if you don't need it. Simple Bluetooth toggle widget can make this task very easy.

3. I am afraid for the three hours of stats you provided you have no rouge app, thus we need to look deeper, Juice Defender caused the most wakeups, but only a total of 3 odd minutes which is not major. AudioOut_1 can be VERY difficult to track.

PS. The following from the developer... "
Don't use and power saving tools like Juice Defender or Green Power: most apps do not behave properly when they can't use the data connection and will generate overhead by trying"


4. Tonight before you go to bed I want you to create a custom reference in BBS and the next morning to Dump a file before you take a normal one.;)

In BBS before you go to bed go to menu > more > Set custom Ref.
next morning make sure you set the second drop down box to "Since Custom Ref." as the norm would be "since unplugged"
then go to menu > more > Dump to File

Obviously try not to have the phone on charge while sleeping tonight. Try to fully charge it before you go to bed and set the Custom Ref.

Sorry for the Off-T guys
 
Last edited:
Hi Grim

1. On the BMW, you will see %/h, %, mV, °C, tap on the %/h once to change it to mA

Then when you wake up tomorrow morning you take another screenshot.

2. Bluetooth is know to be a BIG battery hogger on Android (Unlike WiFi). Switch it off if you don't need it. Simple Bluetooth toggle widget can make this task very easy.

3. I am afraid for the three hours of stats you provided you have no rouge app, thus we need to look deeper, Juice Defender caused the most wakeups, but only a total of 3 odd minutes which is not major. AudioOut_1 can be VERY difficult to track.

PS. The following from the developer... "
Don't use and power saving tools like Juice Defender or Green Power: most apps do not behave properly when they can't use the data connection and will generate overhead by trying"


4. Tonight before you go to bed I want you to create a custom reference in BBS and the next morning to Dump a file before you take a normal one.;)

In BBS before you go to bed go to menu > more > Set custom Ref.
next morning make sure you set the second drop down box to "Since Custom Ref." as the norm would be "since unplugged"
then go to menu > more > Dump to File

Obviously try not to have the phone on charge while sleeping tonight. Try to fully charge it before you go to bed and set the Custom Ref.

Sorry for the Off-T guys

Thanks for the tips Krypto. I have lama going to switch off my BT when I am at work or home, but doesn't work quite so well sometimes. I just got a BT widget which is easy enough. Uninstallled Juice Defender, was doing bugger all anyway.

I will do the steps you mentioned tonight. Shot!
 
Thanks for the tips Krypto. I have lama going to switch off my BT when I am at work or home, but doesn't work quite so well sometimes. I just got a BT widget which is easy enough. Uninstallled Juice Defender, was doing bugger all anyway.

I will do the steps you mentioned tonight. Shot!


Good stuff.

If my steps aren't clear, please lemme know. Sometimes when I read it back to myself nothing makes sense. :)
 
Got my S3 today. Forgot to do my simswop. I think I should quit my day job......
 
Ok well there has been a significant change to battery life. I didn't charge my phone at all yesterday or last night and battery is sitting at 37% this morning. That's after about 27hours since last full charge. It didn't seem to drain so much over night.

Only thing I really changed was to switch off WiFi when asleep and another one which I found online was to turn off keysounds key sounds and screen lock sounds.

Will post the dump I took this morning a bit later :D
 
Ok well there has been a significant change to battery life. I didn't charge my phone at all yesterday or last night and battery is sitting at 37% this morning. That's after about 27hours since last full charge. It didn't seem to drain so much over night.

Only thing I really changed was to switch off WiFi when asleep and another one which I found online was to turn off keysounds key sounds and screen lock sounds.

Will post the dump I took this morning a bit later :D

Good stuff! Yes, Key/Lock sounds are normally the main culprit for AudioOut_1 (But if AudioOut did not cause a long period of wakeups, then everything is fine, or let me try and put it this way... Key and Lock sounds will never cause huge wakelocks on their own. When you tap on your screen and you get a screen sound, you are infact using your phone so obviously it's going to be awake)

You go ahead and post the dump later. :wtf:
 
Last edited:
Good stuff! Yes, Key/Lock sounds are normally the main culprit for AudioOut_1 (But if AudioOut did not cause a long period of wakeups, then everything is fine, or let me try and put it this way... Key and Lock sounds will never cause huge wakelocks on their own. When you tap on your screen and you get a screen sound, you are infact using your phone so obviously it's going to be awake)

You go ahead and post the dump later. :wtf:

Thanks for the help Krypto. Certainly seen a massive improvement. I charged my phone 3h 30 mins ago and it has only dropped to 97%. Granted I haven't been using it. But at least now it is now draining whilst in stand by.
 
Just joined the S3 club. This device is everything that the reviews and you peeps say it is.

It does feel significantly smaller than my Note which is taking a bit of adjustment.

Off to find a root guide ;)
 
Just joined the S3 club. This device is everything that the reviews and you peeps say it is.

It does feel significantly smaller than my Note which is taking a bit of adjustment.

Off to find a root guide ;)

Until the Note 2 is announced later this month...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X