Samsung Galaxy S5

So I thought I would see what Samsung have to say about unwanted apps (the only two that bug me as per discussion below).


Thabang :
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics, how may I be of assistance today?
Astroturf :
Good morning
Astroturf :
I have 2 apps I disabled/uninstalled
Thabang :
Good day Astroturf what device are you using?
Astroturf :
they keep going back into my samsung apps update list.
Astroturf :
Galaxy S5 LTE
Astroturf :
the problem is that it means i can not simply do updates as i used to.
Astroturf :
I have to manually update or keep having these apps reinstall.
Astroturf :
they are Collectiv and Chaton
Thabang :
So this occurs from Samsung Apps and not Google Play Store?
Astroturf :
yes
Astroturf :
I already have several chat programs installed and do not want another.
Astroturf :
I also have no use for Collectiv.
Thabang :
Alright....Did you disable these apps in application manager?
Astroturf :
I "uninstalled" them or disabled them by going into apps list
Astroturf :
then pressing and holding them
Astroturf :
and dragging to the bin
Astroturf :
they seem to only disable though
Astroturf :
They vanish from my app list but then appear in my updates list.
Thabang :
Alright Astroturf by doing this the app is not completely uninstalled.
Astroturf :
I have also tried stopping their services
Astroturf :
please assist me on how to remove them :)
Thabang :
To totally Remove them you will need to do the following:
Thabang :
Tap on settings.
Thabang :
Tap on Application manager.
Astroturf :
ok
Astroturf :
they are in my disabled list.
Astroturf :
I can not uninstall them from there by the looks of things. my only option is "Enable"
Astroturf :
is there some other way i must go about this?
Thabang :
In application manager tap on all then tap on those two apps. Then tap on uninstall.
Astroturf :
They do not appear in all, only in disabled.
Astroturf :
I will endable one then try that quickly
Astroturf :
I enabled collectiv.
Astroturf :
Went into all
Astroturf :
tapped on collectiv
Astroturf :
My only option is Disable
Thabang :
All right that would mean that the app is embedded in the operating system and you will not be able to uninstall it.
Astroturf :
How do i stop it from going into updates when i disable it?
Astroturf :
it happens the second I disable it and then if I "update" it it just enables it again.
Thabang :
You will be unable to....all you can do is not update these apps that you dont use.
Astroturf :
or root the device
Astroturf :
is there some place I can complain about this?
Astroturf :
I do not need advertising software that has full access to all my personal data, location, files etc on my phone.
Thabang :
Rooting the device will void your warranty and we do not have any information on the process of doing so.
Astroturf :
yea I am aware of that. it is why I am trying to find a solution that does not leave me with unwanted apps and does not void my warranty
Thabang :
All You can do is disable the app.
Thabang :
In regards to updates you can simply skip the updating of the apps you are not looking to use.
Astroturf :
yea, manual updates only and then only update 1 app at a time.
Thabang :
Yes that is correct.
Astroturf :
Thank you anyway, I hope the query gets taken further as this is a bit of an issue. Advertising apps should not need access to the entire phone and all my contacts.
Astroturf :
that is a security risk as well as a privacy risk.
Thabang :
I have sent through a Update suggestion for you to head office to have this option added to remove any unwanted pre-installed apps.
Astroturf :
Thank you for the assistance and have a great day.
 
So I thought I would see what Samsung have to say about unwanted apps (the only two that bug me as per discussion below).

Thabang :
I have sent through a Update suggestion for you to head office to have this option added to remove any unwanted pre-installed apps.

This will be great - hope it happens soon, but somehow I doubt it since Samsung will then open the door to you removing all the bloatware they worked so hard on to get into the FW in the first place. It will be great though and I sincerely hope Samsung will allow us to uninstall these bloat system apps from within stock FW without rooting.
 
This will be great - hope it happens soon, but somehow I doubt it since Samsung will then open the door to you removing all the bloatware they worked so hard on to get into the FW in the first place. It will be great though and I sincerely hope Samsung will allow us to uninstall these bloat system apps from within stock FW without rooting.

I hope more samsung users go through the process i did (samsung.co.za, support, live chat).

More suggestions such as this may just tip the scales.
 
I hope more samsung users go through the process i did (samsung.co.za, support, live chat).

More suggestions such as this may just tip the scales.

Okay ... just because I like you ...

Thabang :
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics, how may I be of assistance today?
OG K :
Hi
Thabang :
Good day how can i assist you with your device?
OG K :
How can I uninstall unwanted apps from my Samsung Galaxy S5?
Thabang :
What apps are these?
OG K :
Things like ChatOn, Collectiv, the game hub, music hub, and a plethora of other things I don't need or use.
Thabang :
These are pre-installed apps and you will be unable to delete them only disable them.
OG K :
Some or all of these wants to be updated even after they are disabled in the application manager. It kinda wastes my bandwidth and to top it all, when it is updated, it magically enables themselves
OG K :
Are you still there?
Thabang :
One moment please while i check further information for you.
OG K :
Thank you Thabang
Thabang :
Thank you for waiting....All you can do is change the settings of the Google Play store in order to prevent unwanted app updating unless you want to update a particular app.
OG K :
I understand that, but it is a schleb to try an update all the apps individually just because of a few unwanted ones I can not get rid of
OG K :
It would be nice if Samsung build an uninstall feature for those apps that are not required for individuals provided the apps are not directly related to the system operation.
Thabang :
This is all you can do at this stage.....I have however sent through a Update suggestion for you.
Thabang :
So that this may be considered for a stability update.
OG K :
Thank you. It would be great if this can be implemented
Thabang :
You're Welcome.
Thabang :
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
OG K :
No. I hope you have a fabulous day and that WP wins their first CC game
OG K :
Cheers
Thabang :
Indeed OG.....likewise.
 
Hmm, think I'll do the same.

Really wish they'd let me uninstall all that crap.

Do other manufacturers also do this?

All firmware have bloatware included. That is why i root. I remove the rubbish I don't like and then don't complain either. It is the fate of the man who doesn't get a Nexus.

PS: I am using the N5 again - such a friendly experience!!
 
All firmware have bloatware included. That is why i root. I remove the rubbish I don't like and then don't complain either. It is the fate of the man who doesn't get a Nexus.

PS: I am using the N5 again - such a friendly experience!!

I'm also rooted on my S3. Would prefer not to have to, though.

Bobbing and weaving between the Note 4 and Nexus 6, though... Will see when they're actually out.
 
All firmware have bloatware included. That is why i root. I remove the rubbish I don't like and then don't complain either. It is the fate of the man who doesn't get a Nexus.

PS: I am using the N5 again - such a friendly experience!!

Not true. My OnePlus One has no bloatware. And the 3GB RAM means I don't even need to bother rooting to hibernate certain background processes. It's the only phone I've ever used that's perfect out the box.
 
Not true. My OnePlus One has no bloatware. And the 3GB RAM means I don't even need to bother rooting to hibernate certain background processes. It's the only phone I've ever used that's perfect out the box.

Since you have not uploaded photos yet you are obviously lying and don't really own the phone :mad: :mad: :D

Oneplusone uses CM so would not have bloat by default :)
 
Not true. My OnePlus One has no bloatware. And the 3GB RAM means I don't even need to bother rooting to hibernate certain background processes. It's the only phone I've ever used that's perfect out the box.

Have to correct you here - the OnePlus One runs Cyanogenmod and it is a ROM in itself derived from Google code originally and even that has apps considered by some to be bloatware - not as much as Samsung/Sony/etc who puts in apps/bloatware that is manufacturer specific. It is like the Nexus - pure Android with some stuff you don't want/like (which to me is also bloatware). I will concede that vanilla roms for Samsung and other manufacturers has little bloatware, but that would fall into the same category as your OnePlus One or my N5. On the N5 I froze about 23 apps/items. When I played with CM back in the day, there were apps/items I also uninstalled or froze - way less though than on Samsung FW.
 
Have to correct you here - the OnePlus One runs Cyanogenmod and it is a ROM in itself derived from Google code originally and even that has apps considered by some to be bloatware - not as much as Samsung/Sony/etc who puts in apps/bloatware that is manufacturer specific. It is like the Nexus - pure Android with some stuff you don't want/like (which to me is also bloatware). I will concede that vanilla roms for Samsung and other manufacturers has little bloatware, but that would fall into the same category as your OnePlus One or my N5. On the N5 I froze about 23 apps/items. When I played with CM back in the day, there were apps/items I also uninstalled or froze - way less though than on Samsung FW.

The OnePlus One runs Cyanogenmod 11s and is the only device on earth that does so. The only 'bloatware' it has is the theme chooser for the CM Launcher. Everything else is just Gallery, Calendar, File Manager, Google type stuff. Even if I was rooted I'd have nothing to freeze. It doesn't even have the Apollo music player that I used to get with CM on my S3.

As for AOKP being a bloated AOSP, CM is very much an exception from my experience. I've tried AOSP ROM's and I've played around with a Nexus 7 - CM has a lot of meaningful customisation that vanilla lacks, while being just as fast.

On not one single occasion have I noticed my OnePlus One stuttering. Not when switching apps, launching apps, running apps or even loading the list of apps. Android L is going to be ridiculous on this thing if it's even smoother.
 
On not one single occasion have I noticed my OnePlus One stuttering. Not when switching apps, launching apps, running apps or even loading the list of apps. Android L is going to be ridiculous on this thing if it's even smoother.

Yep, so like an s5, only my phone is real. You still have not uploaded photos of yours so it must be imaginary :p
 
Yep, so like an s5, only my phone is real. You still have not uploaded photos of yours so it must be imaginary :p

The only camera I have on me is my OnePlus One, so here's a pic of the back of it in a mirror. Lighting is poor, but it could be worse. Good enough for you?

uploadfromtaptalk1407504978738.jpg
 
The S5's price is starting to come down.:) Kalahari is offering the phone for R7700.They started at R9700 just 4 months ago.Looks like it is the exynos 32 GB version. :love:

Kalahari also has the S5 mini for R 6300.At that price you can just as well get a real S5.:D
 
Last edited:
I'm so disappointed with the S5. My SD card was read only after the last updates. My internal memory filled up to fast. Phone ran like a donkey. So I ran Chainfire's auto root, and loaded the sd card fix. So then I thought, hey, I'm rooted so I may as well install BusyBox ... Sigh, what an effup. It screws up so much, it makes the phone unusable. Ahh well gone so far, may as well load a ROM. Dropped Alliance Rom on and my phone is back to behaving..... Looks pretty much stock, everything "bangsum" still works. Lets see if it lasts :D
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X