Samsung Galaxy S6

Looked and played with the new Samsung S6 phones yesterday at the Samsung Store in Somerset Mall. The Edge does feel weird in the hand and I'd definitely pick the normal S6 over it. Screens are really excellent and it feels a lot snappier than the S4, still not as responsive as the Nexus 5 though. Definitely nice phones, but not at the current asking price. Battery situation is also disappointing and I'd still take vanilla Android over Touchwiz.

With the Lollipop update and a new battery I think my S4 will do just fine for another year.
 
With the Lollipop update and a new battery I think my S4 will do just fine for another year.

I already have the second battery kit for my S4 - Lollipop has made it waay more responsive. I will stick with S4 until it dies and then pick up a (cheaper) S6 for cash.
 
I already have the second battery kit for my S4 - Lollipop has made it waay more responsive. I will stick with S4 until it dies and then pick up a (cheaper) S6 for cash.

Cool, going to download the Lollipop update tonight and see how it goes.

After owning the Galaxy S1, S2 and S4 I think I'm more inclined to make a switch, I was really tempted to steal my wife's Nexus 5, it was just so compelling to see a phone that operated so smoothly without any lag.

The trick that I think Samsung missed from the failure of S5 is that people like things to be kept interesting. In a sense the Galaxy S6 is the absolute "perfect" Samsung phone in terms of hardware (the S5 everyone wanted), but its also one of the dullest by virtue of its conservative UI progression and inclusion of bloatware. I can see myself quickly getting bored with Touchwiz. As pointed out by other Samsung users in this thread and the S4 thread, that if the Lollipop updates are being delayed because Samsung is worried that it will a disincentive to new phone sales, then it already tells you everything you need to know. It will be interesting to see the S6 sales figures over time, maybe people just really love shiny gadgets.

I think Apple got it right through the release of iOS 8 and a new form factor that spurred on many people sitting on older generation iPhones to make the upgrade so there was a lot of pent up demand and Android users wanting to make the switch no longer had an excuse not to. Normal service should resume with the 6S.
 
Last edited:
Regarding the charging, I just checked now with "Galaxy Charging Current", and these were the results:
I generally use the wireless charger, and my initial thought is that it is faster than USB, which I confirmed.

- 1018 mA - AC Charger
- 355 mA - Wireless Charger
- 285 mA - USB from PC
 
Does anyone know what ADH covers with the s6 in za.

Sammobile mentioned that it's a 2 repair deal for za. Is this correct. How long is the cover period - 12 or 24 months. Does this cover back and front. Water and screen damage. Etc?
 
Does anyone know what ADH covers with the s6 in za.

Sammobile mentioned that it's a 2 repair deal for za. Is this correct. How long is the cover period - 12 or 24 months. Does this cover back and front. Water and screen damage. Etc?
12 months and covers the front and back glass.
 
After owning the Galaxy S1, S2 and S4 I think I'm more inclined to make a switch, I was really tempted to steal my wife's Nexus 5, it was just so compelling to see a phone that operated so smoothly without any lag.

The trick that I think Samsung missed from the failure of S5 is that people like things to be kept interesting. In a sense the Galaxy S6 is the absolute "perfect" Samsung phone in terms of hardware (the S5 everyone wanted), but its also one of the dullest by virtue of its conservative UI progression and inclusion of bloatware. I can see myself quickly getting bored with Touchwiz. As pointed out by other Samsung users in this thread and the S4 thread, that if the Lollipop updates are being delayed because Samsung is worried that it will a disincentive to new phone sales, then it already tells you everything you need to know. It will be interesting to see the S6 sales figures over time, maybe people just really love shiny gadgets.

I think Apple got it right through the release of iOS 8 and a new form factor that spurred on many people sitting on older generation iPhones to make the upgrade so there was a lot of pent up demand and Android users wanting to make the switch no longer had an excuse not to. Normal service should resume with the 6S.

I have no idea what S6 you looked, but what you are saying here is very inaccurate.

I've had the S2, S4, S5, Note3 and Note 4, and the last phone with a bit of lag was the Note 3. And I'm being very critical of that lag. If the S6 got any more buttery smooth, it will literally melt in you hand.

The bloat on the S5 was significantly down, even less on the Note 4 and now just about non existing on the S6. Would love to know what bloat you are referring to here.

Also, why would you want the normal flat S6 over the edge? Sense, you make none.

Apple got it right with iOS8? If I remember correctly it was the most buggiest update the platform ever had. Android users had no longer an excuse not to make the switch? Why is that? Because they included a customizable keyboard? Lulz "Normal service should resume with the 6S" what do you mean? That the service was not normal with the 6? Guy, you've tasted the cool aid, maybe you should have another cup ;)
 
I have no idea what S6 you looked, but what you are saying here is very inaccurate.

I've had the S2, S4, S5, Note3 and Note 4, and the last phone with a bit of lag was the Note 3. And I'm being very critical of that lag. If the S6 got any more buttery smooth, it will literally melt in you hand.

The bloat on the S5 was significantly down, even less on the Note 4 and now just about non existing on the S6. Would love to know what bloat you are referring to here.

Also, why would you want the normal flat S6 over the edge? Sense, you make none.

Apple got it right with iOS8? If I remember correctly it was the most buggiest update the platform ever had. Android users had no longer an excuse not to make the switch? Why is that? Because they included a customizable keyboard? Lulz "Normal service should resume with the 6S" what do you mean? That the service was not normal with the 6? Guy, you've tasted the cool aid, maybe you should have another cup ;)
Cool Aid lulz
 
To add to Fanie's post. The lollipop update for the S4 has been out for months now. The SA service providers take their time adding their bloatware to the update but there is really no reason to wait for them for them. Sammobile has been keeping my phones up to date since the S3 days.
 
So it seems bluetooth is my culprit. Evrything on, only bluetooth off ove night
 

Attachments

  • 1429854236544.jpg
    1429854236544.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 1429854249608.jpg
    1429854249608.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 160
So 1x incident? 1 back or 1 front?

Surprised mybroadband haven't done an official article on the S6 ADH - S5 / S4 / Note 3 / Note 4 had detailed articles in the past.
 
So 1x incident? 1 back or 1 front?

Surprised mybroadband haven't done an official article on the S6 ADH - S5 / S4 / Note 3 / Note 4 had detailed articles in the past.

1x covers both at the same time, even if only one is broken. That's what I was advised by the Samsung sales rep.
 
@fanie - Is your night clock enabled? Last night my battery drain was 13%. Will see if disabling the night clock makes a difference.
 
ah, for this exercise I have disabled it. But normally have it enabled when I charge during the nights.

Ok thanks. if the 13% drain is due to the night clock, I wouldn't mind. The phone charges damn quick anyway. :)
 
So 1x incident? 1 back or 1 front?

Surprised mybroadband haven't done an official article on the S6 ADH - S5 / S4 / Note 3 / Note 4 had detailed articles in the past.

Do I have to register somewhere for this warranty or does is come automatically by owning a Samsung S6?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X