Samsung Omnia HD - i8910

I have 8GB Internal. It came with Garmen on the extra 8GB disk. I paid R5,999 for it on BidorBuy. Contact PhoneShark (yeah dodgy name but his service is excellent). I looked around and Vodacom and MTN was charging between R7,000 and R8,500 for it if you want to buy cash or R11,000 with contract. Check you contracts, even though a lot of times the MTN contracts look cheaper, they give you less for the amount you pay per month. Almost fell for that one.
 
@MJK How did you access the firmware link. I keep getting "Your IP is blocked, contact administrator" but even the contact admin is blocked. :(
 
The i8910 firmware update will be available next week in South Africa. Finally.
 
Battery charging sounds more like hardware or battery problems. Have you tried a different battery?

The new update is currently in for the local network test and will most likely only include the changes found in the new release in the UK (kinetic scrolling, etc.)
 
Battery charging sounds more like hardware or battery problems. Have you tried a different battery?

The new update is currently in for the local network test and will most likely only include the changes found in the new release in the UK (kinetic scrolling, etc.)

I'm quite sure the battery issue is a firmware problem, it seems like the current firmware can't handle the "load" if the memory card is in and you put the phone off to charge. But if you remove it it charges fine, which wouldn't be the case if the battery was the problem.

As far as I know the new firmware also solves the problem with the "stop" button in internet browsing. Do you know what else it has?
 
I'm quite sure the battery issue is a firmware problem, it seems like the current firmware can't handle the "load" if the memory card is in and you put the phone off to charge. But if you remove it it charges fine, which wouldn't be the case if the battery was the problem.

As far as I know the new firmware also solves the problem with the "stop" button in internet browsing. Do you know what else it has?

yes correct Liberty1988, it's not the battery itself, but the fact that there is a flash card in the phone? that causes the charging & boot up problem - removing it every time solves the problem.

yip I have that to - really is annoying not having an exit / stop function - In the meantime I prefer to use opera mini. :D although I seldom use the phone for the internet.
 
Strange, I charge with the phone on and sim card in perfectly fine. Nice to know if I do run into trouble.

I couldn't get details on what was changed, but it appears to be this firmware:
http://www.samsunghub.com/2010/02/11/samsung-omnia-hd-jb1-firmware-update-now-available/

But there are some critique against the update, the major being that this update only leaves 17MB left on your C: drive. And you thought 30MB was bad with the original firmware.
 
Strange, I charge with the phone on and sim card in perfectly fine. Nice to know if I do run into trouble.

I couldn't get details on what was changed, but it appears to be this firmware:
http://www.samsunghub.com/2010/02/11/samsung-omnia-hd-jb1-firmware-update-now-available/

But there are some critique against the update, the major being that this update only leaves 17MB left on your C: drive. And you thought 30MB was bad with the original firmware.

We are referring to the memory card, not the sim card. And perhaps you don't have issues because you have the 8gb internal memory not the 16gb.

Thanks for the link, can't wait to get it! How do you know it will only be available to us next week?
 
I have a c: drive with 51MB, E: drive with 8GB and F: drive 8GB memory card. Why would a 16GB card make a difference? Physically they are the same size.

I made connections with the people at Samsung SA and they told me I will be the first to know, as I frequently pestered them about the update. :)

The mobile9 site has some pretty neat apps. I tried the ones out specifically made for the N97, as they share the same OS. The apps I really like so far is vMenu (put all your icons on 6 screens similar to an iPhone), Spotify looks beautiful but I still need to register to see the app in action, also trying out Google Maps and Vlingo. The game Witcher actually works and looks nice, but the screen size is limited, because i8910 doesn't have a keyboard and therefore has to use the onscreen navs like in Gmail. Sideralis is still confusing to me. vMenu also comes with connections to a bunch of other apps which you can download and try out. Some work, others doesn't.
 
I have a c: drive with 51MB, E: drive with 8GB and F: drive 8GB memory card. Why would a 16GB card make a difference? Physically they are the same size.

I made connections with the people at Samsung SA and they told me I will be the first to know, as I frequently pestered them about the update. :)

The mobile9 site has some pretty neat apps. I tried the ones out specifically made for the N97, as they share the same OS. The apps I really like so far is vMenu (put all your icons on 6 screens similar to an iPhone), Spotify looks beautiful but I still need to register to see the app in action, also trying out Google Maps and Vlingo. The game Witcher actually works and looks nice, but the screen size is limited, because i8910 doesn't have a keyboard and therefore has to use the onscreen navs like in Gmail. Sideralis is still confusing to me. vMenu also comes with connections to a bunch of other apps which you can download and try out. Some work, others doesn't.

It's not a 16GB card, it's a 16GB hard drive, which is obviously more for the phone to handle. We (owner's of the 16GB internal memory version) think it's because of this, coupled with the 8GB card, that makes the phone stall when you put it off and then try charging it with the 8GB card still in.

Kewl, please keep us posted about the firmware update ;)
 
Some good news if you want to expand on the offerings of your i8910HD.

Opera Mobile 10 beta 3 is available (download page) and while downloading, you will also get a link to the Widget engine for Symbian 60 which works without the browser being open. Now you can download Opera Widgets for your phone. Awesome. Not as "interactive" as the Omnia widgets being "live" on your phone screen, but definitely way kewler.
 
Some good news if you want to expand on the offerings of your i8910HD.

Opera Mobile 10 beta 3 is available (download page) and while downloading, you will also get a link to the Widget engine for Symbian 60 which works without the browser being open. Now you can download Opera Widgets for your phone. Awesome. Not as "interactive" as the Omnia widgets being "live" on your phone screen, but definitely way kewler.

thanks AJKock
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X