SARS E-Filing 2018

nabbus

Has SARS run out of funds to process refunds? It seems like they are buying time ....

I am now into the 30 day aging process with them ... With them still holding onto the refund amount. Every time I call the call-centre I get the same speech about there not being a turnaround time for refunds.
That said I'm not going to loose it with a SARS agent (probably the only call centre people you can't or shouldn't with ... if you want a peaceful long life)

In past years I used to sing the praises of this State institution for their superior systems, processes and people ... But things have changed drastically overnight with the changing of the old guard. Guess it's a reflection of things to come....

PhireSide

Executive Member
Has SARS run out of funds to process refunds? It seems like they are buying time ....

I am now into the 30 day aging process with them ... With them still holding onto the refund amount. Every time I call the call-centre I get the same speech about there not being a turnaround time for refunds.
That said I'm not going to loose it with a SARS agent (probably the only call centre people you can't or shouldn't with ... if you want a peaceful long life)

In past years I used to sing the praises of this State institution for their superior systems, processes and people ... But things have changed drastically overnight with the changing of the old guard. Guess it's a reflection of things to come....
Strongs. I felt that way too. And next year will probably be more of the same for me, because I seem to be audited every year.

Hoping you get your refund due to you before Christmas at the very least

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Are donations to a church tax deductible so long as they have a valid PBO number and issue you a receipt with the PBO thereon? The PBO number in question starts with '9300'

Is there a way to check that the PBO number is valid? The SARS e-Filing tax return form or calculator doesn't seem to warn you anymore if a number is invalid. When I donated to another PBO last submission, it was only after I submitted my return on the IT34A assessment where it told me the number was invalid.

edit: Does the e-Filing process have a problem if you have multiple donation receipts for a particular institution for the tax year in question?

Last edited:

KingBel

Expert Member
Are donations to a church tax deductible so long as they have a valid PBO number and issue you a receipt with the PBO thereon? The PBO number in question starts with '9300'

Is there a way to check that the PBO number is valid? The SARS e-Filing tax return form or calculator doesn't seem to warn you anymore if a number is invalid. When I donated to another PBO last submission, it was only after I submitted my return on the IT34A assessment where it told me the number was invalid.

edit: Does the e-Filing process have a problem if you have multiple donation receipts for a particular institution for the tax year in question?
The church must have a valid PBO number and provide you with receipts indicating their PBO number as well. You can check if they are registered on this page: http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Businesses/TEO/Pages/Approved-Section18A-PBO's.aspx

If you have multiple donations to one PBO, you can provide the total on the return.

nabbus

After much haggling and persistence with the SARS call centre (atleast the calls where free from even a cellphone) ... I woke up this morning with a sms from my bank ... Money is in the account

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
I've filed in July, got a letter in August, finished it in August, got another letter in october, finished that and still waiting. They are delaying for a month before answering and then telling me 3 weeks later that I need to file more papers and delaying again for a month and then telling me 3 weeks later again I need to adjust something. It is taking forever...

Andre2807

I've filed in July, got a letter in August, finished it in August, got another letter in october, finished that and still waiting. They are delaying for a month before answering and then telling me 3 weeks later that I need to file more papers and delaying again for a month and then telling me 3 weeks later again I need to adjust something. It is taking forever...
Hi Cyberbob - I would suggest to go on eFiling and take a screenshot of your 2018 tax return filing page (the one where you upload supporting documents), and also download your latest statement of account (for 6 months).

SARS has 21 business days, from the date of receiving documents from you, and get an additional 21 business days every time they ask and you provide the documents.

If you have sent them documents in late October, then it will likely only be finished by December.

Also note that 15 December - 15 January is not considered business days according to SARS and the Income Tax Act. So that means that any supporting documents and/or objections filed from late November, will likely only be dealt with in 2019, from 15 January onwards.

Hope this helps.

KingBel

Expert Member
If this is for a 2018 return, you can send your details to webmaster@sars.gov.za. I will check on the status of your refund.

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
Hi Cyberbob - I would suggest to go on eFiling and take a screenshot of your 2018 tax return filing page (the one where you upload supporting documents), and also download your latest statement of account (for 6 months).

SARS has 21 business days, from the date of receiving documents from you, and get an additional 21 business days every time they ask and you provide the documents.

If you have sent them documents in late October, then it will likely only be finished by December.

Also note that 15 December - 15 January is not considered business days according to SARS and the Income Tax Act. So that means that any supporting documents and/or objections filed from late November, will likely only be dealt with in 2019, from 15 January onwards.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this - I'll have to go back and check on the documents and letters exact dates - It has to do with me being an Ex-Pat and filing a complex tax return I suspect...

I'll have a look this weekend