SARS E-Filing 2020/21

marco79

Expert Member
It's that time of the year again. Any tips? What is it that I hear that I need a new browser to complete my E-filing? Is this true?

Filing Season 2021 for Individuals​

Individual income tax return filing dates​

sdenobrega

Any time before the 1 July 2021 that we can do updates to our profile? What is the best way to change banking details?

marco79

Expert Member
Any time before the 1 July 2021 that we can do updates to our profile? What is the best way to change banking details?
You have to go to a SARS office to change your banking details. I'd recommend you do it soon to avoid the long queues after 1 July.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Glad to see I am getting fast tax certificates in my inbox! 1 July must come quickly!

surface

Honorary Master
Has anyone received tax certificate from Sygnia yet? They seem to be the only one not to have sent it yet. Not available on their alchemy site either.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Mmm...who all is claiming for WFH last year? Do you think they'll ask for proof of what the office looked like?
Mine was our front entrance hall with a desk, printer nearby, monitors and laptop along with desk chair. My wife's was in the room behind that.
What all would you ethically claim?

surface

Honorary Master
Mmm...who all is claiming for WFH last year? Do you think they'll ask for proof of what the office looked like?
Mine was our front entrance hall with a desk, printer nearby, monitors and laptop along with desk chair. My wife's was in the room behind that.
Not claiming WFH. I have similar setup as yours but is on a dining table and not a separate office as such.

zerocool2009

Executive Member

Your employer must give confirmation of that, and its submitted to sars too. So be carefull

Pansyfaust

Your employer must give confirmation of that, and its submitted to sars too. So be carefull
I have a letter from work confirming the dates for WFH. So when I submit my deductions for WFH, I would include this letter in supporting documents, correct?

Koosvanwyk

There are strict criteria that applies to this if you are a salaried individual. The biggest stumbling block is usually that the home office must be used exclusively for trade/business purposes.

If the area is not fully closed off from the rest of the house (ie separate room with door) it might be a challenge to convince the receiver, such spaces often have a dual purposes.

You can basically deduct anything that is not capital in nature

marhsava

There are strict criteria that applies to this if you are a salaried individual. The biggest stumbling block is usually that the home office must be used exclusively for trade/business purposes.

If the area is not fully closed off from the rest of the house (ie separate room with door) it might be a challenge to convince the receiver, such spaces often have a dual purposes.

You can basically deduct anything that is not capital in nature
What are the chances of SARS literally coming to see your home office ?