Set-up internet-based Home Theatre

tmak

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'd like to set-up an entertainment system at my new place in Feb/March so I'm wondering what line speed and multimedia equipment I'd need to optimise my viewing pleasure.

I'd have wanted a 50"+ screen but the biggest Smart TV I've found is the Sony 40"(?) Smart TV at Game. Would this work well on a, say, Axxess 10MB ADSL line (R375) to stream via Netflix or any other sources.

Do I really get better shows online or should I much rather get a lame Monochoice subscription?

Thanks in advance!

agentrfr

Expert Member
It wont work via axxess. You'll need a proper adsl account. Remember that you get what you pay for. To that end, I would highly recommend an Openweb Gold uncapped 10meg account or an Afrihost business uncapped account. Trial both and see which one works better. For some reason, OW works much better on some peoples' lines (like mine) and other AH is better.

If you have a PC or even a Pi dedicated to media retrieval, then forget monochoice. UnoDNS allows you to get the latest shows from the US off of neflix and hulu and the like. If you are tech savvy, you can set a program like sichbeard to autodown the latest shows as they come out. If the TV (have you considered a projecter for a bigger screensize possibly?) is bigh enough, HD content makes a big difference.

The only reason you'd go with monochoice is for sport programming, but I don't think it is worth paying for all the other extras.

tmak

Thanks @agentrfr. The OpenWeb 10mb is quite steep, would the 2 or 4mb be sufficient for the streaming? My goal is to try to get good internet speed for regular home use that can also double-up to supply me with good entertainment when needed.

I don't have a system dedicated to downloading content, I had streaming in mind, or using one of those set-boxes or a PS3 for that. Or a hometheatre system that has a BluRay player. I read somewhere that this could work.

You're right, I don't watch much sport anyway so I'm not going to bother with DSTV. 50" - 60" is also sufficient, I'm not really keen on HD projectors.

Thanks again

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Thanks @agentrfr. The OpenWeb 10mb is quite steep, would the 2 or 4mb be sufficient for the streaming? My goal is to try to get good internet speed for regular home use that can also double-up to supply me with good entertainment when needed.

I don't have a system dedicated to downloading content, I had streaming in mind, or using one of those set-boxes or a PS3 for that. Or a hometheatre system that has a BluRay player. I read somewhere that this could work.

You're right, I don't watch much sport anyway so I'm not going to bother with DSTV. 50" - 60" is also sufficient, I'm not really keen on HD projectors.

Thanks again

2mb - 4mb will be sufficient for SD content. HD needs a 10mb.

Tremayne

I have a Telkom 4meg uncapped account and HD streams perfectly, I get perfect 720p from netflix on my ps3.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Uhm...what do you mean you only found a 40-inch Smart TV?

In fact I'm surprised you didn't only find in larger sizes.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I have a Telkom 4meg uncapped account and HD streams perfectly, I get perfect 720p from netflix on my ps3.

That's borderline which means it doesn't leave much headroom for anything else.

I would definitely recommend 10Mbps+ if you want HD.

Posted this before, it's bandwidth graph for Netlix at super HD (1080p):

netflix-bw.png

tmak

Great, thank you for the responses. I'll start out with Afrihost uncapped 2MB and see how that fares. Afriman suggested that I get a capped account instead?

Thanks for the graph too, I guess I'll have to settle for SD if I choose a slower connection. If data prices go down at the beginning of 2014 then I'll be in a position to get a faster connection.

@Sauronza, when I did my initial shopping, the biggest smart TV I came across was 40" wide, clearly I missed the Samsung PS51F5500 which looks like a good buy, thanks @Soul Assassin.

goofball

Expert Member
Great, thank you for the responses. I'll start out with Afrihost uncapped 2MB and see how that fares. Afriman suggested that I get a capped account instead?

Thanks for the graph too, I guess I'll have to settle for SD if I choose a slower connection. If data prices go down at the beginning of 2014 then I'll be in a position to get a faster connection.

@Sauronza, when I did my initial shopping, the biggest smart TV I came across was 40" wide, clearly I missed the Samsung PS51F5500 which looks like a good buy, thanks @Soul Assassin.

Also get yourself a Roku for the media streaming. Excellent for Netflix and Hulu.
Our also supports plex for your own collection. It cost about R1300 with import duties from Amazon.

You'll never regret this purchase. Guaranteed.

PS. I read somewhere 6mb is fine for HD on Netflix.

Electric

Honorary Master
Imo Telkom is a better option but not everyone agrees.
I had a 2mb line but got the 4mb upgrade recently.
Nothing but a pleasure.

Minor issues occur on all lines but the larger percentage of the time it is a flawless product.

SL1v3R

I would recommend a 10mb line with a 100gb capped account from Cybersmart for R399 and add the Super size option for R99 which gets you an extra 50gb plus 1000gb after hours. This ensures you have a high speed line that gives you hd and is not shaped or throttled.

tmak

Also get yourself a Roku for the media streaming. Excellent for Netflix and Hulu.
Our also supports plex for your own collection. It cost about R1300 with import duties from Amazon.

You'll never regret this purchase. Guaranteed.

PS. I read somewhere 6mb is fine for HD on Netflix.

I thought that getting a Smart TV would mean that I won't need to purchase a Roku, Apple TV, etc for the streaming?

tmak

I would recommend a 10mb line with a 100gb capped account from Cybersmart for R399 and add the Super size option for R99 which gets you an extra 50gb plus 1000gb after hours. This ensures you have a high speed line that gives you hd and is not shaped or throttled.

Is 100GB enough for normal Tele viewing/month?

tmak

Nothing but a pleasure.

Minor issues occur on all lines but the larger percentage of the time it is a flawless product.

R425/pm?

tmak

Nothing but a pleasure.

R425/pm?

SL1v3R

Is 100GB enough for normal Tele viewing/month?

We watch about 3-4 hours a day and sometimes run two devices and come close to the 100gb.otherwise give it a go without the Super size and see if you can save the extra R99. Cybersmart does require a calendar month's notice so be aware of that and their support is ok'ish.

goofball

Expert Member
I thought that getting a Smart TV would mean that I won't need to purchase a Roku, Apple TV, etc for the streaming?

Got a Samsung smart TV and never use it. The Roku is just that much better.
It has history channel now as well.

tmak

@goofball, what makes it better than what Smart TV's offer?
I guess I won't need to get a Smart TV then?