Set up your own VPN Internet thingy?

Jonno2343

Hi
I am interested in the idea of the OpenWeb VPN offering and was thinking of getting it, until an idea struck me.
At work, we have an uncapped internet account and a Server running Windows Server 2003. Could I not do the same thing with this at work as OpenWeb are doing?
Setting up a VPN is easy, but how do you route the traffic through the VPN and to the net?

Any help in this area would be much appreciated.:cool:
Thanks very much
Jonno

Syndyre

Honorary Master
You could do it pretty easily, just remember you'll be limited to the upload speed of your company's ADSL line.

Jonno2343

Thanks ;)
How exactly would I do it?
The line at work is very very fast, sometimes download at around 400KB/s.
It's not ADSL, it's some Line of Sight thing.

So do you know exactly how I would go around doing this?
Thanks

Syndyre

Honorary Master
I'm not 100% sure tbh, what router do you use? Some have VPN capability. Otherwise have a look at something like OpenVPN.

ColinR

Expert Member
It's not ADSL, it's some Line of Sight thing.

Wireless... will in 90% of cases end up being an ADSL connection. Either or, you'll still be limited to the upload speed of your companies Internet Connection.

Jonno2343

Yeah, but that speed is still faster than my 384 line at home, so no worries there.
I will have to check what router we use, but what I don't know is how to forward all the traffic that comes into the server throught the VPN, and route it out to the internet and at the right address. Like a DNS server I suppose.
How do you install OpenVPN or any source code apps?

[OUPA]MrNutz

Expert Member
problem at hand is gateway forwarding , and yes - openvpn can do the trick.... try IOPUS ipig ?

Jonno2343

iPig looks like it will work.
But will iPig allow other internet connections, or only browsing/ http?
Like for gaming, skype, etc.?

What about hamachi? Is that similar? Would it be better or worse to use?

I will try this out on the weekend when there is no-one at work :)

Thank guys
Jonno

Jonno2343

Ok another quick question.
I will obviously want to use a local account to connect to it.
Does the server need a local ip address?
Will it have one if it is just an international access (no extra local account)??
Thanks

Syndyre

Honorary Master
iPig looks like it will work.
But will iPig allow other internet connections, or only browsing/ http?
Like for gaming, skype, etc.?

What about hamachi? Is that similar? Would it be better or worse to use?

I will try this out on the weekend when there is no-one at work :)

Thank guys
Jonno

Hamachi requires international access to set up the connection so that wouldn't work too well in this case.

Ok another quick question.
I will obviously want to use a local account to connect to it.
Does the server need a local ip address?
Will it have one if it is just an international access (no extra local account)??
Thanks

As long as its physically located in SA it'll have a local IP address.

Jonno2343

Hello again.
I am trying this tomorrow.
Would the whole thing work with a DynDNS account with a local account?
I am doing the whole DD-WRT Traffic splitting thing, so would it use the international to get the ip address from the international DNS servers and then use the local account to connect to the server?
How else could I do it without iPig so I can dial it up in my router with PPTP or L2TP? I would like it to be a more permanent thing and I have 2 x Win 95 PC's on my network at home. 7 in total.
OpenVPN or what?

Thanks very much
JOnno

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Hello again.
I am trying this tomorrow.
Would the whole thing work with a DynDNS account with a local account?
I am doing the whole DD-WRT Traffic splitting thing, so would it use the international to get the ip address from the international DNS servers and then use the local account to connect to the server?
How else could I do it without iPig so I can dial it up in my router with PPTP or L2TP? I would like it to be a more permanent thing and I have 2 x Win 95 PC's on my network at home. 7 in total.
OpenVPN or what?

Thanks very much
JOnno

As long as you've got international access on both sides DynDNS should work fine I presume. If you run a VPN server on the other side you should be able to connect to that with your router and then your whole network would have access through it. I'm not sure how the traffic splitting script will route traffic though, whether it'll continue to route traffic over the international account or not, best to check.

Jonno2343

You right, it won't work, because it still needs to be set up as PPPoE.
If I used a local Dynamic DNS provider, then I wouldn't need any International right?

What I still can't figure out is how I will route the traffic on the Server's side.
The computers at home must think that it has a proper link to the internet (I suppose you would put the address of the server in your DNS server settings on the PC) and then the server acts as a DNS server and provides a link to the net.
Sounds pretty complicated to me.
There must be some software available that can do something.

Jonno2343

Oh, and BTW.
The internet service is provided by Digital Dynamix and we just have a Wireless thing with a Yagi antenna outside.
How do they give such high speeds? It's often downloading at 400KB/s (3.2mbps).
I wonder if they could give us a Static IP Address...