Shaping or some other problem on Openserve (specifically Durban & surrounding areas)?

Jean-Luc Picard

I don't know where else to complain about this, my ISP (WebAfrica) is useless when I ask them to talk to Openserve considering I get the whole package through WebAfrica, I have zero communication channel with Openserve because they do not offer any support for end-customers, only ISPs.

This is very random, but it has been happening for months. On some odd day, the download speed will crawl to seriously any where between 3 KB/s and 50 KB/s on a 100Mbps line. This would last a few hours, then resolve itself. This could happen one day, and then not happen for 2 weeks at all, then again for one day for a few hours, then maybe fine for 5 days. At times it has been fine for a stretch of over three onths of it not happening at all. The most recent time frame when this last happened was middle of December 2017, then it has been fine since, until last week 6 April. It happened on that day, then it was fine again until 13 April, when it happened again, and now again 14 April. In 2017 it would happen a few days of a month, pretty much since October 2017 this has begun happening. It usually can last between any where from 4 to 12 hours, very rarely more than 24 hours, and it always resolves itself without any intervention by me like restarting of router and fibre box (and trust me doing the latter doesn't help any ways).

However, upload speed is perfectly fine, I get a full throughput of 48-50Mbps upload when this is happening which iss right. I should be getting 98-100Mbps on download as well, but nope, 3 KB/s - 50 KB/s.

At first I thought it was WA shaping/throttling me, which would not make sense since I have a capped account with them. That's why I tried testing Openserve's guest account, and using the speed test on their site, and it's happening only on their network too, so it points to the problem with Openserve entirely.

I have frequently spoke to WA about it, but as usual it's always them wanting to step through typical diagnosis problems of restarting the router and like after I have explained to them so many times that is not the problem, I've told them and showed them how it happens with Openserve's test account that only goes through Openserve's network, and for them to communicate to Openserve since I cannot and its their responsibility to do so, but alas, nothing ever arises.

Also the international speed is much slower than local, YouTube is fine, but still not as fast as it should be for example. I cannot even watch Twitch on 160p when I can always watch 1080p@60FPS with even netflix and other streams happening at the same time.

It's seriously frustrating, because when it does work fine, I get full speeds and no problems at any time of day, but no one can tell me what is happening when this issue randomly arises.

These down speeds of the speed tests are a little higher than what they usually are when this happens, but obviously pitiful for a 100Mbps line regardless, but also the speed test is not reflecting such speeds, international downloads or streams like twitch still buffer on 160p even with 2Mbps down, it's not reflective. In any case...

Here is a speed test with Openserve guest account:
S3tNhlT.png

Here is a speed test with Webafrica (it is slower):
QH2L4kR.png

Last edited:

ghostR

Executive Member
This is happening on my Line at the moment in durban. Super weird issue, Definitely looks like an openserve issue.

mister

Executive Member
Youtube coming at less than a 1Mbps, Netflix at 80Mbps

franshorn

I'm having the same issues.

I'm on a 20mb line though and down in Cape town.

I literally can't stream anything. Kodi won't load anything. Showmax buffers.
Netflix drops the quality so low it looks like it was shot with a vga camera.

I'm really getting pissed off with webafrica, and don't know if moving over to another ISP is going to solve my issue

mister

Executive Member
I'm having the same issues.

I'm on a 20mb line though and down in Cape town.

I literally can't stream anything. Kodi won't load anything. Showmax buffers.
Netflix drops the quality so low it looks like it was shot with a vga camera.

I'm really getting pissed off with webafrica, and don't know if moving over to another ISP is going to solve my issue
Can't hurt trying... Get some other tests accounts and try. In my past experience it would affect some ISPs and not others, but would eventually be resolved by openserve.