Sliding door security

Venomous

Honorary Master
Not to be nasty but you are wasting your time with the film. I they want in, film is not going to do anything except make it nice and quiet when breaking the glass. I always believe the true deterrent is to increase the visible difficulty in gaining access to your home as a deciding factor. However, if you have large windows with no barriers, installing a barrier against the sliding door is going to be just as pointless ( as per your point ), they will go through the windows instead.

I'd just increase the lock on the sliding door somehow, possibly even some form of deadbolt so they would have to smash to gain entry.
We have not done the film yet. It is procrastenating on the to do list....

We have 2 locks and obviously the normal latch. The one lock is by the latch, like many would have. The other lock it sortof like a deadbolt. It is well anchored into the wall with a large pin/lock thing that goes into the door.
It can be lock by pushing or slaming it in once the door is closed. You need a key to open, but not to lock it

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Ours is sturdier. Even has bigger screws holding it in place and must be anchored to the floor or wall.
TBH, if that's the case, I think you pretty covered save for replacing the door with 10 inch thick steel :p I wouldn't bother with the film unless it was a tinting for cosmetic or that new solar film to create power.

Venomous

Honorary Master
TBH, if that's the case, I think you pretty covered save for replacing the door with 10 inch thick steel :p I wouldn't bother with the film unless it was a tinting for cosmetic or that new solar film to create power.
Thanks.
We don't have a gate on the sliding door.
Lounge and bedrooms have large panes between the opening windows. If I smashed a pane I could walk in by just hunching over a bit and I would not touch the frame.
So all doors lock well just incase an oppotunistic browser scales the fence and tries to find an easy opening door.
The fence alarm is on 24/7 even if the house alarm is off and there are goodies to prevent fence tampering/lifting.

When we are out there are outside sensors that get activated.

cpeterm123

It can still be forced...

Use to live in a large complex. There was a delinquint teen that use to go through people's sliding doors. Do things like mess up stuff, poop in baths, steal stuff etc.
It only stopped after he got caught.

It did not matter which way the normal latch was he got in.

The 2nd lock spreads the hold on the door to stop the movement required to get the door off
That helps me a lot, thanks. Looks like I will have to get a lock. Can the 2nd lock be fitted outside?

Jola

Honorary Master
We also went with Trellidor. Was a bit expensive, but now we have peace of mind, we can leave the sliding doors open at night for cooling, and we know this is gonna last a heck of a long time.
Hmm, the guy who installed my Trellidor gates said that he would be able to open the gates in 30 seconds.

Sure, he knows exactly how they work, but I am sure that others (helpers, burglars, etc) also know.

So don't place too much confidence in these gates, it just gives you a bit of time.

I still have door latches and PIR's in those rooms.

But at the end, nothing really helps if someone is determined to get in.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hmm, the guy who installed my Trellidor gates said that he would be able to open the gates in 30 seconds.

Sure, he knows exactly how they work, but I am sure that others (helpers, burglars, etc) also know.

So don't place too much confidence in these gates, it just gives you a bit of time.

I still have door latches and PIR's in those rooms.

But at the end, nothing really helps if someone is determined to get in.
Except as early as possible warning, because then their enemy is time.

Jola

Honorary Master
Except as early as possible warning, because then their enemy is time.
Yes, but then you need the castle doctrine, even ADT/Security companies take too much time.

In my part of the world you can't get through to SAPS, and if you do they will take 2 hours, if they have petrol.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
On both our big sliding doors for our two lounges we have trellidoors on them. They were there when we purchased the house. The security doors are actually on the inside of the sliding doors which I thought was strange as usually your security doors are on the outside of the sliding doors, but thinking about it I understood what the previous owners had did and I am glad they did.

Our sliding door has door sensors on them for the alarm and so if they lift the door off the track or even just try and jimmy the locking mechanism it will set the door guard off. By that time they still now have to try and get through the trellidoor in a limited time.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Just check what your insurance requirements are for sliding doors, because you may unknowingly negate your insurance policy.

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
Bit late.

You can put all the night locks you want, security film etc. They will just remove the pane. Happened to two of our clients.

The only solution that will work is an expandable gate. You do not need Trellidoor. Most are made to SABS standards, and you can find installers that have double steel uprights that are just as good at 2 thirds the price. I outsource my gate with a particular company that we have used for almost 10 years for my clients, and have never had an issue. Trust me, you do not need Trellidoor. They overprice their product due to their name.

Another option is the paradon PDX PA37332 that can cover the door before they even try and do anything, but this is not 24/7 security.

cpeterm123

Bit late.

You can put all the night locks you want, security film etc. They will just remove the pane. Happened to two of our clients.

The only solution that will work is an expandable gate. You do not need Trellidoor. Most are made to SABS standards, and you can find installers that have double steel uprights that are just as good at 2 thirds the price. I outsource my gate with a particular company that we have used for almost 10 years for my clients, and have never had an issue. Trust me, you do not need Trellidoor. They overprice their product due to their name.

Another option is the paradon PDX PA37332 that can cover the door before they even try and do anything, but this is not 24/7 security.
Thank you Sir. Nearly 2000 messages, well done! I cant find the product in your last para - do you have a link. Thank you and dont watch cricket today.

SAguy

Expert Member
Unfortunately these expandable gates are broken through in less than a minute by prepared criminals, name brand or not. But the more layers of security you add, the better. Ideally criminals shouldn't be able to reach your doors/windows without a perimeter alarm going off.

The earlier you can get their time limit ticking before police/ADT/etc arrive, the better. Some of these armed response companies make sure that they aren't at your place within 5 minutes, they don't want to have to catch anyone - risks their lives and also results in paperwork for them.