Sodan

Expert Member
Given that that's a reflection shown on the specs in the article's first image, it means someone has "ENTER PASSWORD" written backwards on their screen!

EDIT: perhaps that makes the password more secure?! :D

fxit_man

Executive Member
Given that that's a reflection shown on the specs in the article's first image, it means someone has "ENTER PASSWORD" written backwards on their screen!

EDIT: perhaps that makes the password more secure?! :D

Unless the correct image is being looked at through a mirror no? :p

FaSMaN

Expert Member
And some people think I am overly paranoid only buying routers thats DDWRT compatible over the default rubbish.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
My network gives DNS errors every now and again. Reboot the router and it goes back to normal. Not a Telkom router though.
And the first thing I do is change the passwords when setting one up.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
Yeah that pic of Laurie Fialkov is getting a bit um... stale now. Just saying...

grim

Expert Member
It’s worth pointing out that it doesn’t look like someone who gains access to your router is able to get your ADSL username and password that way.

Just had a play around, you can get the ADSL username and password off the routers.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Just had a play around, you can get the ADSL username and password off the routers.

That is interesting. As in you were able to get the password plaintext off the router? What version firmware?

*EDIT: I've updated the article. From the reports I've read now the password is not visible, but it is available if you have nominal web/browser know-how.

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
I'm still using an old Netgear DG834GU-V5 which I got on contract with Telkom in 2009, and it's still going strong. I bought a spare one on gumtree about a year ago in case this one fails.

I changed the default admin/admin details on day 1 though.

grim

Expert Member
That is interesting. As in you were able to get the password plaintext off the router? What version firmware?

First one was:
Software Version: RU_1.53
Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-8.7
Release Date: Oct. 28, 200

Second one was:
Software Version: RU_2.01
Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-12.1
Release Date: Sun Nov 8 12:34:29 CST 200

Got it in encrypted format off the router, but the encryption is very basic and easily reversible.

lexis

good one, lol .. Nevertheless I would like to compliment MyBB with the graphic creativity. Great work! Keep it up!

TheBossMan

Expert Member
My DSL goes slow every so often, not through hacking, but them useless Telkom guys that can't fix S@$!#!$t. :mad:

djrwb

Yeah sure i am hacked. Every weekend my line speed sync downgrades to less than 756K and most times under 512 K. Also started noticing if running big downloads speed is decreased as well. And it seems to be Telkom as I have three accounts that I can use, MWeb, Telkom and Afrihost. (Mweb is primary)

djrwb

My network gives DNS errors every now and again. Reboot the router and it goes back to normal. Not a Telkom router though.
And the first thing I do is change the passwords when setting one up.

Have this constantly most sessions myself

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah sure i am hacked. Every weekend my line speed sync downgrades to less than 756K and most times under 512 K. Also started noticing if running big downloads speed is decreased as well. And it seems to be Telkom as I have three accounts that I can use, MWeb, Telkom and Afrihost. (Mweb is primary)

Hacking is NOT going to change your sync stats.

You have a physical line problem or a dodgy router.

djrwb

Hacking is NOT going to change your sync stats.

You have a physical line problem or a dodgy router.

Exactly, but line generally runs fine Monday night to Friday afternoon, report to Telkom line syncs perfectly for the work week and then weekend down again, maybe router but switched that as well (to an old Telkom one) and had same issues.