So I went to Capitec


Using VMCC very cleverly at the moment. Don't spend a cent on it until I see that the next payment due date is added to the online banking (even before statement arrives) then I pay all accounts etc and get the full 50 odd days for the equivalent money to lie in my Capitec account and earn maximum interest
 
Capitec: MR SWA, your June fees R5 (May R6). Total interest R485. Tip: Use our cellphone app for lowest fees and save more money & time!
.
 
Odd chain of events:

got an sms a day for about 3 days warning about different ways to be careful and then last night got a message saying there is a hold on my account ........ phoned and was told it's a soft hold but no further details. So now it's a big rigmarole having to go in with everything and try find out wtf is going on. Anyone else experiencing any oddness by any chance?
 
Odd chain of events:

got an sms a day for about 3 days warning about different ways to be careful and then last night got a message saying there is a hold on my account ........ phoned and was told it's a soft hold but no further details. So now it's a big rigmarole having to go in with everything and try find out wtf is going on. Anyone else experiencing any oddness by any chance?

Nope. Nothing strange here
 
Odd chain of events:

got an sms a day for about 3 days warning about different ways to be careful and then last night got a message saying there is a hold on my account ........ phoned and was told it's a soft hold but no further details. So now it's a big rigmarole having to go in with everything and try find out wtf is going on. Anyone else experiencing any oddness by any chance?

Not that, but when I purchased something it double billed me and the one was on processing for 7 days holding my cash so went in and they removed it the next day.

Was hoping it would remove itself so waited a week before going in.
 
All fine here on my side, but I am running my Capitec account differently now because I have read of so many Capitec clients being card skimmed (could be their own carelessness though)...

I now keep R100 in the main GLOBAL ONE account and all other money spread over the other 4 savings accounts. I use my Virgin Money CC for day to day and when I need cash I just swipe at our business and take from the till (CC % < cash deposit fees). I have also turned SMS updates off on the Capitec account so transferring between accounts is now 100% free.

On debit order day I move just enough into the Global One to satisfy the debit orders. Of course if, like my insurance did this past 1/07, a debit order is higher than it should be, they will be returned as happened to me but that is a story for another day!!

Worst they can hit me is the R75 available balance in the Global One...
 
And returned debit orders are just R4.50, so not really a biggie like at the other banks.

Yeah - was a big save. My insurance increased without my knowledge. Ford Credit repayment for wife's car was the last DO and got bounced. Worst part is the black dot with ABSA \ Ford Credit for the bounced DO but the financial penalty was just the R4.50 and the R3.20 DO fee which gets charged no matter what.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X