Sonic Wireless

willsotaku

Well they fixed the issue on sunday and it returned with a vengeance and have been dropping since..really not happy if this keeps up i will be looking for a new isp yet again

jvrs

Well they fixed the issue on sunday and it returned with a vengeance and have been dropping since..really not happy if this keeps up i will be looking for a new isp yet again
you on month to month ?

scavern

Guys, I am at my wits end with Neotel (NeoBroadband) and want to get rid of them as soon as possible. Telkom is not an option due to the poor telephone lines in my area.

The comments I am seeing on here about Sonic Wireless seem promising. I sent their sales department an email so I am hoping to meet with a consultant soon.

Has anyone here had any seriously bad experiences with them? ie. outage for extended periods of time with no feedback, poor support etc?

prOd

Expert Member
Guys, I am at my wits end with Neotel (NeoBroadband) and want to get rid of them as soon as possible. Telkom is not an option due to the poor telephone lines in my area.

The comments I am seeing on here about Sonic Wireless seem promising. I sent their sales department an email so I am hoping to meet with a consultant soon.

Has anyone here had any seriously bad experiences with them? ie. outage for extended periods of time with no feedback, poor support etc?
I don't know anyone from this thread who's had serious problems. Myself haven't had big issues in long time and when the occasional issue comes up, their support is top notch. Will basically get back to you anytime except on a Sunday I think.

henry1103

I don't really experience serious problems, pretty much 100% up-time with the odd occasional 1~2 hour maintenance/issue once a month.

willsotaku

So issue is still going and and support is not really giving any feedback on the issue also seems they are not willing to replace the sector so guess i am stuck with internet dropping 20x daily

Nemus

My connection is also inconsistent.. On 5mbps line, i average around 2mbps, dropping as low as 512kbps, with peaks around 4.8mbps.. However, Customer service at SW is out of this world! I have never experienced anything remotely like it.

Kwerty

Expert Member
Company Rep
It looks like I'll be taking the plunge soon enough.

I'm looking at going for the month to month contract. 3.5k installation seems a bit... expensive.

Can anyone tell me what the setup involves? I'm assuming it's something like:
  • Antenna (5 GHz?) mounted where there's LoS
  • Coax cable from antenna outside to inside
  • Cable plugs into router (Mikrotik?)

crackersa

Honorary Master

I'm looking at going for the month to month contract. 3.5k installation seems a bit... expensive.

When I was in Durban and had similar it was close to 3k for installation and that was 6 years ago. So you might be getting a good deal.

Antenna, mike item, network cable into the house directly into my router

I had really good service and had a 4mb down and 4mb up. Usually say at 3.5mb both ways. I do miss it :).

KoG Ned Stark

I'd like to find out if Sonic Wireless does in fact have a fair usage policy. Last month I downloaded well over 300Gigs and my connection didn't get Shaped nor Throttled (I'm not complaining by the way, this is a good thing). Or is 300 gigs nothing compared to what you guys do.

henry1103

I'd like to find out if Sonic Wireless does in fact have a fair usage policy. Last month I downloaded well over 300Gigs and my connection didn't get Shaped nor Throttled (I'm not complaining by the way, this is a good thing). Or is 300 gigs nothing compared to what you guys do.
I'm doing around 150~200Gigs on the 5M package and also didn't experience shaping/throttling. This is mostly from quite a lot of online streaming, software updates and gaming.

Sparhawk

I actually have never bothered to check as I have never experienced any slow down of speed. If it is similar to my ADSL usage when i had it at its peak, probably in the 200 to 300GB range, mostly streaming / game updates downloads, PS3 / XBOX ONE and Steam.

willsotaku

They have a FUP and will enforce it if you affect other people on sector if you are over your usage. i have done 2.1TB this month on 20MBps package

Nemus

Their FUP is at 280gb. It only gets applied if necessary, though.

breacher

When I was in Durban and had similar it was close to 3k for installation and that was 6 years ago. So you might be getting a good deal.

Antenna, mike item, network cable into the house directly into my router

I had really good service and had a 4mb down and 4mb up. Usually say at 3.5mb both ways. I do miss it :).
Depending on your individual requirements R 3.5k is not that bad, our installation roughly works out at around R 3k with a router. This is with a medium/large off-set bracket and a 2m (38 mm) pole, 15M CAT5 shielded outdoor cable and labour.

breacher

Depending on your individual requirements R 3.5k is not that bad, our average (most common) installation roughly works out at around R 3k with a router.

This includes:
* 2M (38mm) Pole
* Off-set bracket medium/large
* Ubiquiti PowerBeam 400
* 15M CAT5 Outdoor Shielded Cable (additional cable at R 11 pm)
* Router/Access Point (Tenda/Mikrotik)
* Installation (Labour)

EDIT: As crackersa said it's an ethernet cable that runs from the CPE (antenna & radio) to your router inside.

Last edited:

Kwerty

Expert Member
Company Rep
Cool. Thanks for the info guys.

Just one more question; on the brochure it says that torrents are shaped to 1Mbps from 06:00 to 18:00 and to 2Mbps from 18:00 to 00:00. Is it? I'm not looking at doing an astronomical amount of torrenting but 1Mbps is quite slow, even by my ADSL standards at the moment.

henry1103

I don't notice any torrent shaping at all, for me it's pretty much full speed 24/7. Then again I'm 150~200GB pm user at their 5Mbps package.