Sous Vide immersion circulator

Gaza365

I do alot of my shopping for meat at my local meatworld, always get it cut at the counter the price per kg is cheaper than their Prepackaged stuff, and if i ask nicely enough, i often get it vacuum packed at no extra cost, sometimes they rush me R5 for it.

Im sure if you chat to the guy behind the counter, he will be willing to throw in some peppercorns and a sprig of rosemary before vacuum sealing it for you for a really tasty result

Ive been looking at getting one of these for a few months myself... care to share where you got yours and if the price was reasonable and the process "painless"

Last edited:

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member
I do alot of my shopping for meat at my local meatworld, always get it cut at the counter the price per kg is cheaper than their Prepackaged stuff, and if i ask nicely enough, i often get it vacuum packed at no extra cost, sometimes they rush me R5 for it.

Im sure if you chat to the guy behind the counter, he will be willing to throw in some peppercorns and a sprig of rosemary before vacuum sealing it for you for a really tasty result

Ive been looking at getting one of these for a few moths myself... care to share where you got yours and if the price was reasonable and the process "painless"
Oops..... in case you butterfly your prawns and chicken :D

Randhir

Honorary Master

Ive been looking at getting one of these for a few months myself... care to share where you got yours and if the price was reasonable and the process "painless"
Depends if their bags are safe for sous vide or not.

Gaza365

Depends if their bags are safe for sous vide or not.
I had not really given that much thought, considering the videos online show people doing this cooking in a ziploc bag... so now while I Ponder weather my Vac packed mince is killing me faster than my cellphone.

Let us ask the educated masses. Does anyone know if there is any enforced standard on SA food packaging, that a reputable retailer would follow, which would automatically mean their Vacuum packaging is safe for Souis-Vide. Or are we all going to get a Tumor?

Edit:
https://www.chefsteps.com/activitie...-packaging-safety-sustainability-and-sourcing

Last edited:

SukkaFoo

Picked it up direct from the Nomiku site, delivered to SA for $230. Not cheap I concede, but i looked at the Sansaire and Anova ones, but they don't ship here. I am sure I could have made a plan, but this way my warranty is intact, and I am somewhat lazy...

I have been wanting one for months now. Been doing the cooler box steak hack for a while, and it is quite simply the best steak I have ever had. Based on that I cannot wait for what I can do with some longer cooks or doing deserts, veggies, yogurt, etc.

zeb

Expert Member
For me it's a bit of a waste to do a steak sous vide. The difference between sous vide steak and my regular method is negligible.
You may just wonder what the fuss is all about if you start with a steak.

With tougher cuts it's a different story. I would suggest you start with meat that require a longer cook time to satisfy both your curiosity and your taste buds.
I made beef short-ribs the other day and they were outstanding. Can't imagine doing it any other way again.

SukkaFoo

Did a poached egg now. This is something I've never been able to successfully do up until now, but wow, it was easy and tasted amazing.

Randhir

Honorary Master
For me it's a bit of a waste to do a steak sous vide. The difference between sous vide steak and my regular method is negligible.
You may just wonder what the fuss is all about if you start with a steak.

With tougher cuts it's a different story. I would suggest you start with meat that require a longer cook time to satisfy both your curiosity and your taste buds.
I made beef short-ribs the other day and they were outstanding. Can't imagine doing it any other way again.
I agree with this 100%, but it's always nice to experiment when you have new toys :)

But yeah, dry brining and advance and an accurate thermometer means I always have an amazing steak, even with sous-vide.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
So any update from the guys/gals doing sous vide cooking...? How are the Nomiku units performing...? I'm trying really hard to convince myself that I need one of these units in my life :p

Randhir

Honorary Master
So any update from the guys/gals doing sous vide cooking...? How are the Nomiku units performing...? I'm trying really hard to convince myself that I need one of these units in my life :p
It's definitely a nice toy to have. My one is a bit cumbersome to use so I tend to favor other cooking methods as much as possible. For long cooks though, it's a winner

SukkaFoo

So, my experience thus far.

The service from Nomiku was pretty decent, the unit arrived fairly quickly and got stuck at customs. My first unit blew the power supply within the first weekend of having it. They sent me a new one immediately, the only negative was customs charging me an arm and a leg on the duties on the second unit. Oh well.

I have taken an old cooler box and cut a hole for Nomiku to stay in there permanently, so while it takes a bit of space on the counter it's really easy to use.

So far I've done steak, burgers, poached eggs, chicken breast, lamb roast and chuck roast. Oh and creme brulee. For me it's been incredible to see how a bit of science and precision can improve my cooking. The 28 hour chuck this weekend was absolutely outstanding.

I love it, my brother who is much more practical has cobbled together a decent enough setup using a temp controller and a slow cooker. It works fine tho not as easy and elegant.

If you haven't done the cooler box steak hack try that first. Really easy way to dip your toes.

This weekend I want to try make pate...

codus

Hi all,

Anyone managed to source a sous vide circulator? I've been looking at the anova but there's currently no 220v option. Not dead set on the anova, but it does seem to be very well rated.
I have the Anova, 220V with EU plug. Got it directly from the US. Cost an arm and leg.