South Africa's school maths shocker

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
South Africa's maths shocker

Of the 1.2 million Grade 1 learners which started school in 2005, only 55,000 passed Mathematics in matric in 2017 with a pass mark of over 50%.

In 2018, this number fell by a further 5,000, which means that only 50,000 matriculants passed Mathematics with a mark of over 50%.

This means that less than 5% of learners who start Grade 1 achieve a good pass mark in Mathematics 12 years later.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Shocking..... Not.

That being said, I'm impressed with the homework grade 1 kids are expected to do, don't recall doing that much, really makes me tend to suspect that it's not the curriculum that's an issue.

zophas

Expert Member
Who cares about Math? You can Google the answer to anything. Amazing world we live in, you don't actually even need an education. Street smarts is all you need.

Surv0

Executive Member
Its definitely in the countries interest to keep the population stupid, especially not able to work numbers... for various reasons. Those same people, I guess are happy to remain stupid if they get all the way through matric and still fail... Good luck in life.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Stop making maths compulsory.
You would think it is looking at the article, it's not. The article talks about children starting school and those finishing school, ending up with the catchy "only 5% learners who start Grade 1 achieve a good pass in mathematics".

It implies that all the 1.2m who started Grade one went on to write matric maths and only 5% passed, which is a lie. Some dropped off along the way, some died, some did not even choose mathematics and did something else.

Reactions: STS

Cius

Executive Member
And the sad fact is that the world is rapidly moving in a direction where math, logic, and tech subjects are more and more relevant. This is why we are being left behind.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
Shocking..... Not.

That being said, I'm impressed with the homework grade 1 kids are expected to do, don't recall doing that much, really makes me tend to suspect that it's not the curriculum that's an issue.
You are right. It is not the curriculum. #GenesTalk