Springbok rugby coach developments...

News24

Cape Town - Deon Davids is a front-runner to be named as the next Springbok coach, replacing under fire Allister Coetzee at the end of the year.

Sport24 understands that Davids, the current coach of the Southern Kings, is rated highly by new Springbok Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus and is very much on the radar to help resuscitate the Boks.
The farking wheels are now coming off completely... Southern Kings coach?

Springbok rugby is becoming more and more of a joke!

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
News24

The farking wheels are now coming off completely... Southern Kings coach?

Springbok rugby is becoming more and more of a joke!
Name another worthwhile coach that is non-white, remember this is racist SA and it has to be a non-white no matter the consequences.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Meh... He did some good things with The Kings, there's no doubt about that. But coaching a national rugby team on the international stage is on a completely different level to provincial and franchise level.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
You guys are making too much over this. Rassie’s appointment is above Coetzee, sacking Coetzee and bringing in Davids’s will make him deputy to Rassie. Under the circumstances, sticking to the ‘roadmap’ this is the best decision; besides I believe Davids did the most development between all the coaches in the Super Rugby campaign and is a better coach than Coetzee.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Southern Kings Pro 14 performance

Played: 9
Won: 0
Drawn: 0
Lost: 9
Points For: 142
Points Against: 343
Bonus Points: 4
Table Points: 4

Table Position Conference B: Seventh of seven.

What could possibly go wrong handing the keys to the Springboks to Davids... :erm:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
yeah some people said the same about AC and where are we now ....... Doing a little work with a meh team is not the same as the national team. AC part 2 coming up

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
yeah some people said the same about AC and where are we now ....... Doing a little work with a meh team is not the same as the national team. AC part 2 coming up
Coetzee had 'only' Jurie Roux to answer to, Rassie's role will change the leadership structure, the head coach is deputy to the Director.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Southern Kings Pro 14 performance

Played: 9
Won: 0
Drawn: 0
Lost: 9
Points For: 142
Points Against: 343
Bonus Points: 4
Table Points: 4

Table Position Conference B: Seventh of seven.

What could possibly go wrong handing the keys to the Springboks to Davids... :erm:
Yes, and under the circumstances he had a 'new' team to work with, the team had little similarity to the Super Rugby side, the most inexperienced side in the Pro 14. Though he didn't win games, he did produce results.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Yes, and under the circumstances he had a 'new' team to work with, the team had little similarity to the Super Rugby side, the most inexperienced side in the Pro 14. Though he didn't win games, he did produce results.
The other newbies, the Cheetahs, at 9/5/0/4/271/264/5/25 and third of seven would like a word...

Also, you say produced results? What does that mean to you exactly? Scoring four tries in two games? Losing by seven or less in two games? For me, it's a tick in the W column, but that's just me...

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The other newbies, the Cheetahs, at 9/5/0/4/271/264/5/25 and third of seven would like a word...

Also, you say produced results? What does that mean to you exactly? Scoring four tries in two games? Losing by seven or less in two games? For me, it's a tick in the W column, but that's just me...
Naka' Drotské is a whitey so won't happen unfortunately.

sand_man

Honorary Master
First choice was always going to be Johan Ackermann but he's lost to SA rugby. Not sure if John Mitchell is being considered for the job but I doubt he could get out of his Blue Bull contract having signed so recently. There really is very little available. Jimmy Stonehouse perhaps? Very under rated coach and another talented individual lost to a foreign league. Wonder if Plumtree would be available?

I don't think Deon is a bad choice tbh! By the end of this years Super 18, The Kings were in a very good place. Their trajectory, team ethos and form was very similar to what we saw from the Lions in 2014/2015/2016. They a team very much on the up. Even now in the Pro14, they may not have won a game yet, but they're improving, with solid performances against the Scarletts and Ulster. Again, Deon is working hard building the team up and developing them into a competitive outfit.

It can't be easy considering he lost half the squad at the end of Super rugby. His experience at coaching a team lacking in continuity would prepare him well for the Bok job where there isn't any continuity either.

Last edited:

Cray

Honorary Master
Really don't see the problem with this, would be interested to see what he can do with more talent.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Naka' Drotské is a whitey so won't happen unfortunately.
Wouldn't want him as Bok coach anyway. My call would be Johan Ackerman but the same rule applies to him...

The coach is a symptom of the f**kery that is SARU, and until those clowns get shown the door, nothing's changing.

DanDango

Executive Member
First choice was always going to be Johan Ackermann but he's lost to SA rugby. Not sure if John Mitchell is being considered for the job but I doubt he could get out of his Blue Bull contract having signed so recently. There really is very little available. Jimmy Stonehouse perhaps? Very under rated coach and another talented individual lost to a foreign league. Wonder if Plumtree would be available?

I don't think Deon is a bad choice tbh! By the end of this years Super 18, The Kings were in a very good place. Their trajectory, team ethos and form was very similar to what we saw from the Lions in 2014/2015/2016. They a team very much on the up. Even now in the Pro14, they may not have won a game yet, but they're improving, with solid performances against the Scarletts and Ulster. Again, Deon is working hard building the team up and developing them into a competitive outfit.

It can't be easy considering he lost half the squad at the end of Super rugby. His experience at coaching a team lacking in continuity would prepare him well for the Bok job where there isn't any continuity either.
Jimmy Stonehouse back at the Pumas next year. https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/CurrieCup/stonehouse-on-his-way-back-to-sa-20171122

Cape Town - Former Pumas coach Jimmy Stonehouse is reportedly on his way back to the Mpumalanga union.

According to Netwerk24, Stonehouse will become the Pumas’ director of rugby, a new role created by the union.

The Pumas are expected to make the announcement official in January 2018, the Afrikaans website reported.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Comparing the Kings to the Cheetahs is like comparing apples to oranges. The Kings had a 23-man training squad preparing to enter the PRO14. They lost 15 players existing the Super Rugby campaign. I don’t know what exact word the Cheetahs want to have…

Besides, how well did the Cheetahs open their PRO14 season, they may be newcomers, but it is a union with a player base, coaching base, development base, capital, perhaps the Kings would like a word?

Like I have said twice in this thread,

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/coetzees-fate-sealed-davids-next-bok-coach-20171130

Davids would be given the title of head coach, but would effectively be serving as Erasmus' No 2.
From a leadership perspective, Erasmus is head head coach, whomever his deputy will have to practise his command. Going back to the Kings, Erasmus has taken a liken to Davids as he has complimented Davids role in Super Rugby and supported his appointment in the PRO14. I may assume that the two communicates which is good between the Director and the head coach, rather have two men capable in working together than against each other. We all saw the media debacle when we lost to Japan where coaches and players took decisions on their own.

To add, Davids has been exceptional in putting squads together and getting them to work together, this is what we need since we lack continuity.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Comparing the Kings to the Cheetahs is like comparing apples to oranges. The Kings had a 23-man training squad preparing to enter the PRO14. They lost 15 players existing the Super Rugby campaign. I don’t know what exact word the Cheetahs want to have…

Besides, how well did the Cheetahs open their PRO14 season, they may be newcomers, but it is a union with a player base, coaching base, development base, capital, perhaps the Kings would like a word?

Like I have said twice in this thread,

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/coetzees-fate-sealed-davids-next-bok-coach-20171130

From a leadership perspective, Erasmus is head head coach, whomever his deputy will have to practise his command. Going back to the Kings, Erasmus has taken a liken to Davids as he has complimented Davids role in Super Rugby and supported his appointment in the PRO14. I may assume that the two communicates which is good between the Director and the head coach, rather have two men capable in working together than against each other. We all saw the media debacle when we lost to Japan where coaches and players took decisions on their own.

To add, Davids has been exceptional in putting squads together and getting them to work together, this is what we need since we lack continuity.
Yeah, agreed.

Rassie has got a great head for all things rugby. I trust his instincts.

We all saw how the Cheetahs tanked in CC after having to field a 2nd Pro14 team. The Kings have been required to do a similar thing in Pro14. One can't be surprised at their results. European rugby is not the cake walk us saffers like to believe it is.